Professional Web Applications Themes

Shareware recommendations for a PC user - Mac Portable

Well, placed the order today for a 12" powerbook. It's been 10 years since I've used a Mac (other than the demo I did in the showroom). Looks like a few things haven't changed... the damn things still only a one-button mouse (and no scroll wheel!!!) but I'm sure I'll survive :) And the average dealership is still as hopeless as ever... but at least I have the Internet these days (I ended up ordering direct from Apple and the service was outstanding). I'm not a complete 'switcher'... since I'll keep using my XP desktop, my Linux server (mainly for ...

  1. #1

    Default Shareware recommendations for a PC user

    Well, placed the order today for a 12" powerbook. It's been 10 years
    since I've used a Mac (other than the demo I did in the showroom).
    Looks like a few things haven't changed... the damn things still only
    a one-button mouse (and no scroll wheel!!!) but I'm sure I'll survive
    :) And the average dealership is still as hopeless as ever... but at
    least I have the Internet these days (I ended up ordering direct from
    Apple and the service was outstanding).

    I'm not a complete 'switcher'... since I'll keep using my XP desktop,
    my Linux server (mainly for testing and playing) and I might keep my
    Compaq Evo lappy. I want the mac to integrate with the rest of my
    machines, which are networked through a Billion 743GE
    wireless/router/hub/DSL modem.

    Does anyone have any recommendations on freeware/shareware to get my
    hands on? What are the mac 'must haves'? I don't really want to fork
    out for commercial software, since I've got most of the things I need
    on my PCs. But I seem to remember that there used to be some pretty
    good shareware for the mac and I'd love to start downloading things
    while I'm waiting for my new toy to arrive.

    I was particularly keen on playing with OpenOffice, but apparently it
    currently only runs under X11, which I suppose is ok, but...

    Anyway, what is the 'must have' list of free/share ware for the mac?
    And what are the best download sites to start browsing?
    Nick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shareware recommendations for a PC user

    In article <google.com>, Nick Mead
    <com.au> wrote:

    Go search on...

    http://www.versiontracker.com/

    http://www.macupdate.com/

    Apple's web page also have sections on 3rd party softwares and
    hardwares.

    Try...

    MenuMeter (free)
    PopCharX (shareware)
    MenuCalendar (free)
    Remote Desktop Connection/RDC (free from MSFT for connection to your
    Windoz desktop)
    Codetek VirtualDesktop (free for 2 virtual screens)
    GraphicConverter (shareware)

    They are my short list. I tend to avoid those utilities that adds too
    much CPU overhead.
    Whytoi Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com.au (Nick Mead) wrote:

    (here we go again...)

    You know you can buy a multi-button mouse and plug that in instead of
    the one-button mouse, yes?

    --
    C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund
    C Guest

  4. #4

    com.au (Nick Mead) wrote:

    camino is currently the best web browser... (safari still doesn't work
    with enough sites, and is kinda clunky in areas of mac ease of use)

    snapzpro is good for screen shots, saving movies off the web, etc...

    trasmit is good if you need shareware ftp stuff...

    all the iapps you'll get, imovie, iphoto, ical, idvd, itunes, etc...

    yes, graphicconverter, and MT Newswatcher 3.3?? the OSX versions of both
    them aren't quite there yet... I use the classic versions since they are
    snappier...

    of course Limewire 2.9.7, (there is a basterized windows like version
    that I think has a higher version number), stick with 2.9.7... it
    basically has all of the commercial applications, like MS Office,
    Photoshop, etc... you'll need to get surfer serials which is also up
    there... I like the "saltmine reader" or SMX, or whatever it's called
    today... to read serials...

    yeah, versiontracker.com is the way to go to find and read up on what is
    good in the software world... apple has a good software lookup too on
    it's page...

    that's about it, but i'm sure i'm forgetting a few...

    welcome back to the bright side...

    Oxford

    -
    Oxford Guest

  5. #5

    > I'm not a complete 'switcher'... since I'll keep using my XP desktop,

    Well, then, you're an "adder"... and according to some people Apple
    doesn't want you at all... ;-P

    Start with
    versiontracker.com
    macupdate.com
    Seeker1 Guest

  6. #6

    Oxford <com> wrote:

    just wanted to add... do a "program search" for ".sit" or "dmg" and
    you'll find all the mac stuff...
    Oxford Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:29:19 -0700, Nick Mead wrote:

    If your 12" Powerbook is similarly equipped to my 17" Powerbook, you won't
    be getting any mouse at all, since none comes with a laptop computer. The
    built-in mousepad has only one button, though.

    As others have said, just plug in a two-button, scrollwheel-equipped mouse
    if you want to - it will work great, inclucing the scrollwheel on most
    apps.

    PLM
    PLM Guest

  8. #8

    C Lund <no> wrote in message news:<chello.com>...

    > (here we go again...)
    >
    > You know you can buy a multi-button mouse and plug that in instead of
    > the one-button mouse, yes?[/ref]

    Yes, yes... I'm not a complete noob (only a partial one)... and I'm
    not wanting to criticise the mac over something as simple as the
    mouse. But one of the really nice feature of my compaq lappy is the
    built-in scroll button. I'm gonna miss that
    Nick Guest

  9. #9

    In article <google.com>,
    com.au (Nick Mead) wrote:

    I'll add some cool stuff to what some people have already said:

    Weatherpop 1.8.5 - this is a great little program that gathers info
    from weather sites and displays it up in the menu bar, as well as moon
    phase, cloud cover, etc., and shows a five-day forecast. If you're in
    the US, the freeware version should suffice, but I'd definitely
    recommend getting the full version for a mere $8, as it will allow you
    to download weather info from around the world. You can find this at
    glu.com .

    MacJanitor - this program allows you to do UNIX maintenance to your
    files to have them optimally run. Great in that it's free!

    Wingnuts and Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab - Freeverse Software produce
    both these games - the former is a version of Asteroids but done with
    vintage and modern airplanes, the latter is a variety of Tetris-like
    games. Wingnuts WAS a commercial product, but I think you can download
    this from Freeverse for a fee, and a full version is included in the Ten
    For X games pack. BMPL can be downloaded as a 15 day demo and can then
    be unlocked into the full version for a fee.
    http://www.freeverse.com

    --
    Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
    Now On Vitaminic

  10. #10

    In article <google.com>,
    com.au (Nick Mead) wrote:

    > Yes, yes... I'm not a complete noob (only a partial one)... and I'm
    > not wanting to criticise the mac over something as simple as the
    > mouse. But one of the really nice feature of my compaq lappy is the
    > built-in scroll button. I'm gonna miss that[/ref]

    at least try out Griffin Technology's PowerMate with your new laptop,
    it may look like a big knob, but it has a LOT of uses :)

    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/index.html

  11. #11

    <com.au> wrote:

    > > (here we go again...)
    > >
    > > You know you can buy a multi-button mouse and plug that in instead of
    > > the one-button mouse, yes?[/ref]
    >

    > Yes, yes... I'm not a complete noob (only a partial one)... and I'm
    > not wanting to criticise the mac over something as simple as the
    > mouse. But one of the really nice feature of my compaq lappy is the
    > built-in scroll button. I'm gonna miss that[/ref]

    I agree, the scroll button is nice. That's why I bought a wireless
    Logitech mouse and keyboard. Got the scroll button, got the second
    button and the fact that it is wireless lets me shift things around
    easily.

    That said, that Apple mouse is SWEET! Better quality than any other
    that I've owned.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  12. #12

    In article <google.com>,
    com.au (Nick Mead) wrote:

    Check out a freeware called uControl. It's a pref pane that you can set
    up to allow scolling with the trackpad. You assign a modifier key and
    when it's pressed you can scroll by moving your finger up, down or
    sideways on the trackpad. It's not a complete replacement for a built-in
    scroll wheel but I've found it to be very useful.

    http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/
    Pat Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bellnexxia.net>,
    Daniel Dreibelbis <ca> wrote:

    <snip before and after>

    Have you tried Meteorologist? Free, frequently updated. Consider this
    a meteorologist's endorsement :-)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/heat-meteo

    --
    "In all seriousness, when I read 'Microsoft to do for Usenet what it
    did for Email & The Web', my first thought was: 'Microsoft is making a

  14. #14

    com.au (Nick Mead) writes:
    [...]
    [...]

    Some links that I've found in my travels. This is as much for me to
    keep things organized as for anyone else.

    If you read many web logs (or sites that have RSS feeds):

    http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

    To change the behaviour of application windows (not everyone will
    like this behaviour, but I have the option on my X11/Unix setup so
    it might be nice to have on OS X):

    http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx/

    Automated system maintenance:

    http://www.atomicbird.com/

    Tea Timer is a countdown program which helps you remembering when
    your tea is ready (or general countdown):

    http://www.herwig-henseler.de/software/teatimer.html

    Enhancement/replacement to the Dock:

    http://www.dragthing.com/

    FTP/SFTP clients:

    http://www.panic.com/transmit/
    http://icu.unizh.ch/~dkocher/cyberduck/
    http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

    A list of freeware stuff from O'Reilly:

    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/04/25/freeware.html

    Synchronize a directory ("folder") structure between two machines:

    http://www.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html

    CD duplication tool:

    http://www.projectomega.org/subcat.php?lg=en&php=products_firestarter

    A tool for drawing the graphs or images of real, complex and
    parametric functions:

    http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/%7Es134159/

    Virtual screens/desktops:

    http://homepage.mac.com/marco_coisson/VirtualScreens/VirtualScreensEn.html

    Finding and mapping of 802.11{b,g} networks:

    http://www.istumbler.net/

    WYSIWYM (La)TeX editor for OS X:

    http://www.18james.com/lyx_on_aqua.html

    Uninstall programs that came in packages:

    http://krugazor.free.fr/software/desinstaller/DesInstaller.php

    Ogg Vorbis encoder:

    http://www.nouturn.com/oggdrop/

    Instant messager for AIM, MSN, ICQ, IRC and Yahoo! all in one client:

    http://www.indigofield.com/

    Usenet newsreader:

    http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

    --