Professional Web Applications Themes

Sharing a Pro License and Controlling Ressources - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

I am sharing a Pro license out to developers and customers. For each developer I have set up a VHost. The configuration files allow me to limit some of the ressources. However, it looks like I can't control the ressources the same way the capacity limitations are imposed by the server, i.e. I am exposed to customers using more capacity than they are paying for. Here is what I can control: in the Vhost.xml file: limit the max # of simultaneous connections limit the max # of simultaneous streams Problem: According to the livedocs, these settings can be changed at ...

  1. #1

    Default Sharing a Pro License and Controlling Ressources

    I am sharing a Pro license out to developers and customers. For each developer
    I have set up a VHost. The configuration files allow me to limit some of the
    ressources. However, it looks like I can't control the ressources the same way
    the capacity limitations are imposed by the server, i.e. I am exposed to
    customers using more capacity than they are paying for.

    Here is what I can control:

    in the Vhost.xml file:
    limit the max # of simultaneous connections
    limit the max # of simultaneous streams
    Problem: According to the livedocs, these settings can be changed at runtime.
    ?? Does that mean that my customer can change these limitations at his
    discretion when running his app? If so, what good is this limitation if it can
    be changed?

    The most important factor in a FCS license lies in the use of bandwidth. The
    FCS license limits concurrent bandwidth (aculating traffic from and to the
    server). I need to be able to limit bandwidth usage of my developers /
    customers in a congruent way. The limitation I impose on my customers should
    also be an aculation of traffic to and from the server. However, the only
    way to limit traffic is by configuring the Application.xml file. This
    Application.xml file will however only accept a value that caps the transfer to
    the server and another that caps the transfer from the server. These values are
    described as maximum transfer values per client !!!

    In other words, if a customer purchases a 1 mbps capacity from me, I have to
    open both up and downtraffic limits to 1 mbps each (not knowing his
    application). If the customer builds a two way conversation application, where
    both parties send and receive with 1 mbps I have used up 4 mbps of my Pro
    license (1 mbps both down and up by each client) and I have no way of
    controling this. Or even simpler: Limiting the downstream to 1 mbps still
    exposes me to this developer using my entire license since there could be 10
    clients downloading that 1mbps stream.

    Am I missing something here or is it really impossible to control ressources
    in a way that matches the license limitations?

    Appreciate all your thoughts.

    Urs Stettler

    e-WideWeb Guest

  2. #2

    The bandwidth settings aren't in the vhost.xml file, but rather in the
    application.xml file for the vhost. See the docs here:

    [url]http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashcom/doentation/FlashCom_Managing.pdf[/url]

    You also have setting to allow or disallow override from there. If you don't
    give your users access to the configuration files, there's no way they can
    alter these settings via AS or SSAS.

    HTH

    JayCharles Guest

  3. #3

    I believe I mentioned that bandwidth is controlled through the application.xml
    file (...the only way to limit traffic is by configuring the Application.xml
    file...).

    The problem remains: I have to determine an up and a down limit. If the
    customer purchases 1 mbps I have to open both up and down streams to 1 mbps. If
    the customer uses both up and down streams simultaneously he spends 2 mbps on
    my license. Note: up and down bandwidth are aculated when measured against
    the license.

    Furthermore: the application settings (yes, I am talking about the cap tags)
    limit the bandwidth of streams per client (not per application). So If I have
    two clients attached to the same application they both can use up 2mbps. That
    then accounts for 4 mbps against my license.

    Urs Stettler

    e-WideWeb Guest