Professional Web Applications Themes

sharing iTunes among users - Mac Applications & Software

I'm trying to figure out how to set up iTunes so that multiple users (on a single machine) can access a common "library" of tracks. As there's no folder called "Music" at the system level -- where I'd expect I should put the iTunes folder -- I'm flummoxed. Any suggestions? Thanks, Chris -- To reply by email, please remove the initial digit from my address. Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!...

  1. #1

    Default sharing iTunes among users

    --
    To reply by email, please remove the initial digit from my address.
    Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: sharing iTunes among users

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Chris Jones <net> wrote:

    iTunes->Preferences->Advanced->iTunes Music Folder Location?

    David Guest

  3. #3

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Chris Jones <net> wrote:

    Like almost everything else in OS X, the info you're looking for is in
    your USER folder, not on the system level.

    1. Locate USERS folder
    2. Look for folder shaped like a house that has your "short" username on
    it.
    3. Inside there will be a Music folder, and inside that will be
    everything you have put in iTunes.

    (alt method) open a finder window, press "home" button.

    As for exactly HOW to share your music library, please see iTunes
    Preferences and iTunes Help.
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  4. #4

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Chris Jones <net> wrote:

    If you mean you want just one iTunes library which is shared by
    everybody, and nobody has any "private" songs or libraries, it's
    possible. I haven't actually tried this, so I may have a few details
    wrong, but I believe this should work ...

    - Create a new music folder (preferably inside /Users/Shared).

    - Give everybody read & write access to that folder.

    - Have everybody configure iTunes to use the shared music folder as the
    iTunes music folder and turn on the "copy files to music folder" option.

    - The first user to do this can use the Advanced -> Consolidate menu
    command to have iTunes copy all their song files to the new music folder.

    - Everyone else will have to re-import their old music into iTunes by
    dragging the song files from their old private music folders into iTunes.

    - iTunes just copies the song files, it doesn't move them, so everybody
    will have to delete the original songs from their old music folders
    after re-importing them into iTunes.

    If you want everybody to have access to one "public" music library AND
    also have their own "private" libraries, that's difficult. I think the
    closest you could get would be to:

    - Create a shared folder for storing the "public" music files.

    - Have everybody turn off the iTunes "copy files to music folder" option.

    - When you have a song you want everybody to be able to play, drag it
    into the shared music folder. (If it's from a CD you just imported into
    iTunes, use the File -> Show Song File command to find out where iTunes
    created the file.)

    - Everyone who wants the new song will have to go to the shared music
    folder and drag the new songs into iTunes. They'll have to do this
    everytime a new song is added to the shared folder.

    As long as everyone keeps the "copy files to music folder" option turned
    off, there will be just the one shared copy of each song. If someone
    turns that option off, any shared songs he imports will be copied to his
    private iTunes music folder, but everybody else will still use the
    shared copy.
    Wayne Guest