Professional Web Applications Themes

Sharing over the internet? - FileMaker

Hi, I am looking to see if it is possible to share FMPro 5 databases over the internet, I have designed the a database (with much appreciated help from the visitors to this group) and would like to share it with my colleague via Broadband Internet. This may have already been asked so any advice or point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance Nick Lawrence...

  1. #1

    Default Sharing over the internet?

    Hi, I am looking to see if it is possible to share FMPro 5 databases over
    the internet, I have designed the a database (with much appreciated help
    from the visitors to this group) and would like to share it with my
    colleague via Broadband Internet. This may have already been asked so any
    advice or point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance

    Nick Lawrence

    Nick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sharing over the internet?

    Nick Lawrence wrote:

    I have set up Internet publishing using FMP 6. FMP 5 probably works the
    same way. For details, see the on-screen Help in Filemaker.

    I have done it using Instant Web Publishing, which makes the database
    available to clients through a web browser. Clients do not need
    FileMaker Pro for this kind of access. This works OK, but it is more
    limited than normal database access. You need to give some thought to
    designing the layout for the web publishing, to make available the
    functionality you want over the web.

    You can also set it up for direct database sharing over the internet, if
    your client has FMP 5 or FMP 6 (files are compatible between FMP 5 and
    FMP 6). I have not done this, but it is possible. I have set up a
    database for sharing over a local network, but not over the Internet.

    In either case, you need to have an IP address that does not change, and
    you need to tell your client the IP address. The database will only be
    available while your computer is connected to the Internet.

    Before you make a database available on the Web, think hard about
    security. Anyone with a web browser can find a web-published database,
    and anyone with a copy of FMP 5 or 6 can find a shared database. You
    need to read the section of the Help file about protecting databases,
    and think hard about it, before you actually do any sharing or web
    publishing. There is also a very goood article on this subject on the
    FileMaker web site, which I recommend you read. The title is Web
    Publishing Security Guidelines. The FileMaker web site is at
    http://www.filemaker.com

    I use FileMaker password access control to protect the database that I
    published.

    Bill

    B Guest

  3. #3

    The person hosting the database needs to have a static IP address, and
    they need to have port 5003 open (TCP & UDP). If this is the case, then
    you can just go to Open Hosts>Specify Host and type in the IP address to
    see the list of open files (assuming they are not set to 'hidden').

    Nick Lawrence wrote:

    Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California

    Howard Guest

  4. #4

    This will work, but you will probably find the connection to be
    extremely slow. A couple of years ago I set up a VPN connection to
    FileMaker Server so that files could be shared at remote locations.
    While it worked, users went to sleep just waiting for all of the files
    to open. Using a sort took an eternity (at least it seemed that way).
    I finally gave up and installed PcAnywhere. That works fine, but
    requires a dedicated host computer for each remote user.

    Brent Lewis

    Howard Schlossberg wrote:

    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    > FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California
    > Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
    >[/ref]

    Brent Guest

  5. #5

    Hello Brent,

    Just for curiosity's sake:

    Various times in this group I have read that such connections are extremely
    slow. I have a 2 to 8 Mbps downstream (mostly running at 3,4 Mbps) / 1 Mbps
    upstream connection - would that still be insufficient for "decent"
    functioning?

    --

    Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards
    Christoph Bouthillier

    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    > > FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California
    > > Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Christoph Guest

  6. #6

    I have indeed found the port 5003 connections slow over the internet. I
    have also found the PCAnywhere and Timbuktu connections to be somewhat
    latent, though not nearly as bad as the port 5003 connection. The best
    possible connections I've found to be Terminal Services or Citrix, where
    there's nearly no noticable delay.

  7. #7

    Christoph, my connection speed was only 384 bps going both directions
    and I needed to open over 30 files for my solution. I'm sure that
    connecting at the speeds that you describe would be much faster--might
    even be acceptable. Let us know if you get a chance to experiment.

    I'm also certain that the use of Terminal Services or Citrix would be a
    better solution than pcAnywhere (at least if there is a need for
    multiple remote connections). However, even using pcAnywhere at dial-up
    speeds, I had no problem accessing, using, and servicing the solution.
    At cable modem speeds all processes are nearly as fast as being there.

    Brent

  8. #8

    "Nick Lawrence" <com> wrote in message news:<c15a3l$22n$btinternet.com>...

    I'd add Timbuktu & GoToMyPC as relatively inexpensive options for
    secure, direct, remote access by a limited number of users.

    As another option, please take a look at SyncDeK
    <http://www.syncdek.com/>

    This enables synchronization as a way to share data between multiple,
    "distributed" users who each have a copy of the database. This is an
    alternative to allowing remote "access" to your single copy when both
    of you are online at the same time.

    Sharing this way is "asynchronous", so your collaboration needs to
    tolerate latency equivalent to using email (send & receive). But
    direct client access and web access are not required (e.g. port 591,
    5003, 80, 443, etc.) . This removes many of the security issues with
    configuring your database and your firewall to allow direct access
    through FileMaker Pro or a web interface.

    Some questions to ask when considering Peer-to-Peer, Client/Server,
    Web, Terminal and Synchronization/Distributed options with FileMaker:
    Do you want your colleague to create, modify and delete new records?
    Will you be online at the same time as your colleague?
    How often do you need to share data?

    Jay Gonzales
    WorldSync, Inc. (Developers of SyncDeK)
    http://www.worldsync.com
    Jay Guest

  9. #9

    Hello Brent,

    If you have an innocent test file somewhere to access I'd be happy to test
    the direct connection speed through port 5003 with my nice ADSL, for
    curiosity's sake. You can e-mail me in private.

    --

    Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards
    Christoph Bouthillier
    post (-a-t-) no-no-spam tekstotaal dot com
    Please remove "no-no-spam" when e-mailing me directly - Thanks
    ------
    "Brent Lewis" <net.nospam> schreef in bericht
    news:Qeq_b.16799$news.atl.earthlink.net... [/ref]
    extremely [/ref]
    Mbps
    >[/ref]

    Christoph Guest