Professional Web Applications Themes

Sharing static IP DSL connection? (Qwest/Actiontec/Onvoy/Macs) - Mac Networking

Hi all -- I've done a quick search and can't find a quick answer, although no doubt it's here somewhere. I recently signed up for DSL service from Qwest. I've been an Onvoy user since long before they were Onvoy and was pleased to find I could keep them as my ISP seeing as I've had this email address for at least 15 years. Qwest sold me an Actiontec GT701. After a very late night going back and forth between Qwest (who was very helpful) and the Onvoy tech folks (the last guy admitting it had been a long time ...

  1. #1

    Default Sharing static IP DSL connection? (Qwest/Actiontec/Onvoy/Macs)

    Hi all -- I've done a quick search and can't find a quick answer, although
    no doubt it's here somewhere. I recently signed up for DSL service from
    Qwest. I've been an Onvoy user since long before they were Onvoy and was
    pleased to find I could keep them as my ISP seeing as I've had this email
    address for at least 15 years. Qwest sold me an Actiontec GT701. After
    a very late night going back and forth between Qwest (who was very helpful)
    and the Onvoy tech folks (the last guy admitting it had been a long time
    since he'd ever configured an Actiontec) I finally got it up and running.
    Now I have to give Onvoy credit for even supporting it -- their business is
    really with *big* customers -- they certainly aren't in the business of
    competing with MSN or Earthlink or whatever for individual users. To make a
    medium-length story short I have been assigned a single static IP address
    and my modem got configured for transparent 1483 bridging. My home
    computer network is a couple of Mac's which are currently connected via
    Appletalk over phone wires (and an Appletalk/ethernet bridge) since they
    are on separate floors. What I would like to do is share the DSL
    connection between the computers as well as use the wireless network on the
    Actiontec to share it with, say, a wireless notebook. Since I've been
    given just a single IP address I have to wonder if that is even possible.
    (If I can't make use of the Appletalk connection -- which would be a lucky
    shot if it worked -- I'm prepared to put an ethernet/wireless adapter on the
    computer not netted to the Actiontec.) If not, at least I'd like to be
    able to enable the firewall on the modem (rather than just have it be a
    transparent bridge) so I'd feel a little more comfortable about being
    exposed to the net.

    (For the Mac folks, one of the machines is an old 7200/90 running
    7.5.something and the other a G4 running 9.1. The G4 is connected via a hub
    to the Actiontec and to the ethernet/appletalk bridge, with the 7200/90 and
    an old laserprinter on the appletalk net.)

    Ted Lee
    Minnetonka, MN

    Ted Guest

  2. #2

    In article <de>,
    "Ted Lee" <Net> wrote:

    Well, first of all, you need a router with built-in NAT. The DSL modem
    outputs to the router, and the computers and the ethernet/appletalk
    bridge connect to the router.

    That should do it.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    "Michelle Steiner" <org> wrote in message
    The Actiontec has built-in NAT. Or so it says. But the ISP tech had me
    configure it to disable that. What good would the NAT do anyway? -- the
    ISP only gives me one IP address and I don't see how that could be routed to
    more than one computer. And yet I'm told that IP sharing is done all the
    time.

    Ted

    Seeker Guest

  4. #4

    > Well, first of all, you need a router with built-in NAT. The DSL modem
    > outputs to the router, and the computers and the ethernet/appletalk
    > bridge connect to the router.
    >[/ref]

    The Actiontec has NAT built-in (as well as a lot of other features). While
    it only has one ethernet port (which I have connected to a cheap hub) , it
    also has a USB port and the wireless link, so it does act as a router too.
    Unfortunately when it's set up in transparent bridged mode all that is
    bypassed, and that's how the ISP tech had me set it up. One clue that Onvoy
    doesn't get much call for individual DSL installations is that they sent me
    no setup information (other than a phone call telling me everything was good
    to go at their end). I didn't even know they were using a static IP and not
    DHCP until I called and the guy sort of casually told me the IP number I'd
    been assigned. Now that I think about -- logically there *isn't* any way
    of sharing the DSL link between the two computers unless there's some pretty
    fancy port/connection mapping too, since to the outside world I can only
    look like a single host.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  5. #5

    In article <de>,
    "Ted Lee" <Net> wrote:

    That's not what makes it a router.

    Yup, that will bypass NAT.

    And that's exactly what a router with built-in NAT will do for you.
    Even if the modem connected to the ISP via DHCP, you would still need a
    router, unless the modem acted as a router--and then you would need a
    switch or hub.

  6. #6

    In article <de>,
    "Seeker" <com> wrote:

    NAT would assign internal IP addresses to the various computers and
    peripherals. To the outside world, it would appear as one IP address,
    but on the LAN side of the router, each item would have its own IP
    address that only the router and each other could see.

    -- Michelle

  7. #7

    "Ted Lee" <Net> wrote in message
    After
    helpful)
    is

    the
    the
    hub
    and
    Ted,
    No offense, but I think you need to go to school on some of this stuff.
    You can start here if you want.
    http://www.pccitizen.com/BasicNetworking.htm
    J--
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com
    You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again.

    John Guest

  8. #8

    In article <de>, Seeker
    <com> wrote:

    > The Actiontec has built-in NAT. Or so it says. But the ISP tech had me
    > configure it to disable that. What good would the NAT do anyway? -- the
    > ISP only gives me one IP address and I don't see how that could be routed to
    > more than one computer.[/ref]

    That's what NAT _does._

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  9. #9

    In article <zIbrc.24030$bellsouth.net>, John D Loop
    <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    I'm rarely offended by learning new things. Unfortunately your site
    didn't help much because it is primarily Windows-based. But it did
    prompt me to dig around some more and refresh my memory on some things.
    (When you've been around computers as long as I have you forget a lot
    too.) I was vaguely aware of NAT but hadn't grasped that the richer
    versions of it include port mapping as well as IP address mapping.
    The question then is whether the NAT provided by the Actiontec
    modem/gateway provides port mapping or just address mapping. The
    specs don't say and what I can deduce from the various things one can
    do in setting it up are inconclusive. There are hints, however that
    it just might do it in that there are settings for "port forwarding"
    that pair up ranges of ports and an IP address on both sides of the
    gateway. There is also this statement about one of the four basic
    configurations: "2) RFC1483 Bridged with Static IP. Bridging session
    terminated in the GT701-WG; via a single Static IP address from the
    ISP. DHCP/NAT is used on the LAN side to run multiple LAN devices.
    (Same for RFC1483 Routed) " It was a little tricky to get it into the
    current configuration (meaning I didn't take notes at 1 AM) so I'm a
    little reluctant to experiment but one of these days I guess I'll just
    have to.

    Ted Lee
    Minnetonka, MN
    Guest