Professional Web Applications Themes

Sherlock 2 - Mac Applications & Software

Using OS 9.0.4 in 400 MHz Pismo G3, 512 Actual RAM, (VM off), 17 Gig free HD space Once I start Sherlock, I can find what I need however, I cannot close the Sherlock window, nor can I quit the application. I have trashed Sherlock preferences file, same result. Cannot find a way to download a new application for the OS from Apple site or Version Tracker. I have no idea of what to do now, other than force quitting the application each time. jeff...

  1. #1

    Default Sherlock 2

    Using OS 9.0.4 in 400 MHz Pismo G3, 512 Actual
    RAM, (VM off), 17 Gig free HD space
    Once I start Sherlock, I can find what I need
    however, I cannot close the Sherlock window,
    nor can I quit the application. I have trashed
    Sherlock preferences file, same result.
    Cannot find a way to download a new application
    for the OS from Apple site or Version Tracker.
    I have no idea of what to do now, other than
    force quitting the application each time.
    jeff
    jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sherlock 2

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    Using Tomeviewer, probably at Version Tracker, you could pull a new copy
    of Sherlock off of your installation CD. That might fix it. IAC, try
    QuickFind 3.1, free at Version Tracker, and you might never want to use
    Sherlock again.

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  3. #3

    I tried the installation CD, however, Sherlock (nor any other
    applications in themselves) are listed. Only way is a complete
    installation, which I don't really want to do at this time.
    Tell me more about this Quick Find please.
    jeff

    John Rethorst wrote:

    > Using Tomeviewer, probably at Version Tracker, you could pull a new copy
    > of Sherlock off of your installation CD. That might fix it. IAC, try
    > QuickFind 3.1, free at Version Tracker, and you might never want to use
    > Sherlock again.
    >
    > --
    > John Rethorst
    >
    > jrethorst -at- post -dot- com[/ref]
    jeff Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>, jeff <com>
    wrote:

    > > Using Tomeviewer, probably at Version Tracker, you could pull a new copy
    > > of Sherlock off of your installation CD. That might fix it. IAC, try
    > > QuickFind 3.1, free at Version Tracker, and you might never want to use
    > > Sherlock again.[/ref][/ref]

    The poster said that you would need to use TomeViewer to see the
    separate files on the CD.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    Offers boolean and regular expression search as well as string (Sherlock
    only offers string). Lots of filters, six designated search areas. String
    and regular expression search within contents. Free at Version Tracker.
    Unsolicited comments from users include:

    ≥Fantastic . . . Powerful . . . unbelievably fast . . . Thanks John! . . .
    great work, fine and easy to use [author, Find Doent osax] . . . a
    sophisticated application . . . powerful! [MacScripter] . . . competent
    program . . . lightning fast . . . a gem! . . . one of his best efforts .
    .. . makes searching a pleasure . . . even gives Sherlock a run for its
    money . . . capable program . . . works solidly. Bravo! . . . lean, mean
    and stable . . . the doentation is wonderful . . . fast and elegant . .
    .. quite fast . . . beautiful application . . . Great Stuff . . .
    outstanding! . . . truly a pleasure to use . . . Many thanks . . . quick
    and neat . . . Works like a charm. Thanks for a great product! . . .

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>, jeff <com>
    wrote:

    On my 9.1 install disk, Sherlock is in the Apple Menu Items folder in
    the System Folder.
    --
    D.F. Manno
    net

  7. #7

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    An application that lets you look at the contents of, and selectively
    extract parts of, an Apple installation 'tome', or the large resource file
    that the installer works with. Version Tracker and MacUpdate should have
    it; it's free.

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  8. #8

    What is a "Tome Viewer' ?
    jeff

    Cathy Stevenson wrote: [/ref]

    > The poster said that you would need to use TomeViewer to see the
    > separate files on the CD.
    >
    > Cathy
    >
    > --
    > "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel
    >
    > C.Stevenson, M.D.
    > net[/ref]
    Jeff Guest

  9. #9

    The install disc for the pismo is OS 9.0.4.
    I am using 9.2.1 on my G4, however, I do not believe
    that I can transfer the application from 9.2.1 and have
    it work on 9.0.4. Or can I ??
    jeff

    "D.F. Manno" wrote:

    > On my 9.1 install disk, Sherlock is in the Apple Menu Items folder in
    > the System Folder.
    > --
    > D.F. Manno
    > net
    > "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
    > they do not want to hear." (George Orwell)[/ref]
    Jeff Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>, Jeff <com>
    wrote:

    > > On my 9.1 install disk, Sherlock is in the Apple Menu Items folder in
    > > the System Folder.[/ref]
    >
    > The install disc for the pismo is OS 9.0.4.
    > I am using 9.2.1 on my G4, however, I do not believe
    > that I can transfer the application from 9.2.1 and have
    > it work on 9.0.4. Or can I ??[/ref]

    Try it. What have you got to lose?
    --
    D.F. Manno
    net

    Nobody Died When Clinton Lied
    D.F. Guest

  11. #11

    Jeff <com> wrote:

    There's one sure way to find out. Seriously, try it and if it works,
    great. If it doesn't, you've barely spent any time trying.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  12. #12

    I downloaded Quick Find from Version
    Tracker, only to find that this is NOT the whole
    application. It then told me to get something else
    at another web site, that I did not understand,
    so I guess I give up.
    Is there ANYWHERE I can get the WHOLE APPLICATION
    and use it ?
    You guys are sure making this very tough.
    jeff

  13. #13

    NOT AT VERSION TRACKER, not the whole application,
    just parts of it. While trying to install it, getting
    an error message that tells me to get the
    other parts from another web site, but there
    the needed parts are part of something else and
    are not listed alone.
    VERY CONFUSING for my feeble brain !!
    jeff

  14. #14

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    The download at VT is the whole application, but it uses three libraries,
    called Scripting Additions. The QF docs say what those are and include a
    URL to download them. An error message that you see if you start QuickFind
    without them installed includes a button that will have your web browser
    go to that site automatically. The three libraries are Akua Sweets, Find
    Doent and Dialog Director; drop them in the Scripting Additions folder
    in your System folder and restart. I'll send them to you by email.

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks, but with the current viruses, we are getting about
    1000-1500 emails a day, all about 150K long and it takes
    hours to download them so we can delete them. Hopefully,
    I will see your name in the subject and be able to save them.
    I went to the site but the 3 libraries you mentioned, were
    NOT in the list of available choices.
    Thanks for your help.
    jeff

  16. #16

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    The direct links are:

    http://www.osaxen.com/akua_sweets.html
    http://www.osaxen.com/find_doent.html
    http://www.osaxen.com/dialog_director.html

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  17. #17

    THANKS
    I have downloaded them on my G4 and copied
    to a zip disc and will copy them into the pismo
    tonight.
    jeff

  18. #18

    I GIVE UP
    I tried to put the 3 files in the scripting folder,
    application still don't work
    I guess that i will do without this feature entirely.
    You sure make it difficult.
    jeff