Professional Web Applications Themes

SHIFT & OPTION KEYS NOT WORKING - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I have had a similar problem for several months now, not just the shift and alt keys, but random keystrokes and tools in general. At first, the problem resolved itself after rebooting. The only network connection is to a closed network. No browsers are in use. Re-installing Photoshop and Illustrator has had absolutely no affect on the problem....

  1. #21

    Default Shift & option keys not working.

    I have had a similar problem for several months now, not just the shift and alt keys, but random keystrokes and tools in general. At first, the problem resolved itself after rebooting. The only network connection is to a closed network. No browsers are in use. Re-installing Photoshop and Illustrator has had absolutely no affect on the problem.
    Unregistered Guest

  2. #22

    Default Re: SHIFT & OPTION KEYS NOT WORKING

    Quitting Firefox and Illustrator, then restarting both works. Firefox can be re-opened after you restart Illustrator. You can save your tabs opened so it doesn't disrupt your work too much.
    Unregistered Guest

  3. #23

    I have this same problem in Illustrator and Photoshop, but on an XP machine. New keyboard, new mouse, new tablet, no internet and no Firefox. Moved to a new machine, same problem. The only common factor is the connection to an internal network, but I have to be connected to that. Does anyone know how I fix this?
    Unregistered Guest

  4. #24

    On mac OSX Lion and Illustrator CS5, closing Parallels Desktop 7 fixed the problem. Weird!
    So, no Paralells while working in Illustrator for me.
    Unregistered Guest

  5. #25

    Same for me. Quit out of Chrome, restarted the computer and all was well again...
    Unregistered Guest

  6. #26

    For me it wasn't the firefox issue but a Microsoft Outlook for Mac. I did the following (MBP Lion 10.7):

    - reset Illustrator's preferences (start Illustrator holding the option/command/shift keys down) - make sure Outlook is closed.
    - close Illustrator and restart the computer
    - Open Illustrator and then open Outlook - everything from this point on worked for me and after this it didn't matter which program was opened first or if both were open at the same time.

    Hope this helps someone. It was driving me mad!
    Unregistered Guest

  7. #27

    Looks like Google Chrome was causing the same problems with my Illustator CS5 too (v 15.1.0). I quite google chrome after reading this thread and my Zooming worked with the SHIFT & OPTION Keys.
    Unregistered Guest

  8. #28

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was having the same issue with the shift and option keys in Illustrator CS5 and i read the solution of closing Firefox and thought it was silly, but it actually worked, i keep Firefox closed when working in Illustrator and haven't had the problem since.
    That worked for me too.
    Unregistered Guest

  9. #29

    I quit the firefox and i works for me too!!! Great advice! =)
    Betty Medina Guest

  10. #30

    Thumbs up Re: SHIFT & OPTION KEYS NOT WORKING

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    For whatever reason, quitting Firefox fixes this problem for me.
    YOU RULE! IT WORKED FOR ME!! Quitting Firefox... not in a million years I would've thought of relating those two actions!!
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #31

    WHY is this not fixed??? This is unacceptable.
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #32

    My shift, Option keys and space bar stopped working on Illustrator. The cmd-K worked for me.

    No idea why, 'cause it happened out of the blue. This is my home computer, there is no shared network.

    Just to complement other comments, I use Chrome, so not related to Firefox. No need to quit the browser.
    Unregistered Guest

  13. #33

    Problem fixed after closing Firefox - Thank you!!
    DrewBee Guest

  14. #34

    Go to System Prefs > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Universal Access > Zoom > uncheck "Turn zoom on or off" You may have accidentily been hitting that combination of keys, possible when adding a bullet to text(?). In my design work I see no reason why I would ever want to turn off those functions so I just uncheck it.
    tmor from Wisconsin
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #35

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    For whatever reason, quitting Firefox fixes this problem for me.
    Restarting illustrator did no help for me, however quitting Firefox worked like a charm even without restarting Illustrator,
    Unregistered Guest

  16. #36

    Im so glad i found this thread! I had no idea Firefox could be causing this.
    Unregistered Guest

  17. #37

    I was having the same problem, shift wasn't working for making shapes of perfect proportions, and space bar wasn't working for the hand tool, I was running google chrome, saw that closing firefox fixed it for the guy a few posts ago, gave closing chrome a try and voila, its working again.

    weird.
    Unregistered Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12