Professional Web Applications Themes

Shockwave Player Public Beta 10.0.2 Available - Macromedia Director 3D

Developers, Today Macromedia posted a public-beta of the latest version of the Shockwave Player, which is versioned as 10.0.2. This update release contains a few changes that will be of distinct interest to both developers and Shockwave end users. Bug Fixes The public-beta release of the Shockwave Player contains a number of key bug fixes to the currently shipping 10.0.1 version. Reduced Installation Dialogs The public-beta release also improves the installation experience by eliminating two dialogs during player installation on Windows. The two dialogs removed are the initial welcome and final completion dialogs. Changes to the Default Set of Xtras ...

  1. #1

    Default Shockwave Player Public Beta 10.0.2 Available

    Developers,

    Today Macromedia posted a public-beta of the latest version of the Shockwave
    Player, which is versioned as 10.0.2. This update release contains a few
    changes that will be of distinct interest to both developers and Shockwave end
    users.

    Bug Fixes

    The public-beta release of the Shockwave Player contains a number of key bug
    fixes to the currently shipping 10.0.1 version.

    Reduced Installation Dialogs

    The public-beta release also improves the installation experience by
    eliminating two dialogs during player installation on Windows. The two dialogs
    removed are the initial welcome and final completion dialogs.

    Changes to the Default Set of Xtras

    The default set of Xtras installed with the Shockwave Player has been reduced
    to a minimum, and has resulted in an installer that is approximately 2MB
    smaller than the currently shipping web installer. The auto-downloading
    functionality has also been updated to ensure proper playback of existing
    content. Please report any issues found with existing sites and content through
    the feedback email form found on the beta download page.

    Updated Version of the Yahoo! Toolbar

    The Yahoo! Toolbar installed with Shockwave has been updated, but the user
    experience during installation remains the same.

    We will be preparing more complete doentation about these changes in the
    coming days that includes doenting what bugs are fixed in the public-beta
    release as well as how the changes to the default set of Xtras will or will not
    impact Shockwave content developers. For now I have included below a summary of
    the Xtra changes and what you need to do as a result of these changes. This
    information will be written-up in more detail and posted as a Tech Note in the
    Director Support Center ([url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/director[/url]) in the
    next few days.

    Finally, we would like to mention that when we release this updated version of
    the Shockwave Player in its final form, we will also be releasing an updater
    for Director authoring so that both the player and authoring environment will
    be equivalent build versions. We do not have a specific release date to share
    at this time. Please stay tuned for official announcements in the coming weeks
    that will indicate when you can expect the final update release to be made
    available.

    Please test the new player today:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/shockwaveplayer/beta[/url]

    Thanks,
    Emmy Huang
    Product Manager, Shockwave Player
    Macromedia

    : Changes to the Default Set of Xtras in Shockwave Player Beta 10.0.2 :

    The public-beta release of the Shockwave Player version 10.0.2 includes
    significant changes to the default set of Xtras included in the installer as
    well as changes to the way in which the core player handles the auto-download
    and installation of needed Xtras at run-time. While these changes are a break
    from previous versions of the Shockwave installer, steps have been taken to
    ensure that previously authored content continues to play as expected.

    The default set of Xtras has now been reduced to a core set of Xtras needed in
    order for the player to minimally operate. The Xtras included in the new "slim"
    Shockwave Player installer by default are CBrowser, InetURL, NetFile and
    NetLingo. No other Xtras are included in the "slim" installer by default. As a
    result, the total installer size has dropped by approximately 2Mb. Simply
    removing Xtras from the default set would likely result in a lot of broken
    content, in addition we had some thoughts (ours plus those of developers) as to
    how Xtras downloading might be improved, therefore we made some changes to the
    way the core player handles Xtra downloading.

    In player releases prior to 10.0.2, an Xtra would only auto-download and
    install if it was in the movie's Xtra list _and_ it was specifically marked as
    "Download if Needed". Both were required as the movie was "branded" with the
    Xtra's download URL at the time the developer checked the "Download if Needed"
    option. If you didn't check that box then the URL wasn't branded into the movie
    and auto-downloading would not occur. In the new beta player, version 10.0.2,
    the package download URL's for Macromedia Xtras are now located within the
    player itself. Therefore, if a movie loads and requires an Xtra found in its
    Xtra list, the player will auto-download and install the Xtra even if the Xtra
    in question wasn't marked for auto-download by the developer.

    This change has in essence made auto-downloading and installing of Macromedia
    Xtras on by default for all Xtras found in a given movie's Xtra list. We feel
    that this change to the player's default Xtra set, combined with the change to
    the way in which Xtras auto-downloading occurs will result in an improved user
    experience during player installation and usage, without breaking existing
    content. All that comes with the previously mentioned special caveat: Xtras
    must be in the movie's Xtra list or they won't be auto-downloaded. For media
    Xtras this is typically not a problem as they are automatically added to the
    movie's Xtra list when you create the specific member type, but scripting Xtras
    do not have this same advantage, you must manually add all scripting Xtras to
    the movie's Xtra list.

    NOTE: As of today?s initial release of the beta player, only Windows users
    will be offered the new "slim" installer, we will be posting "slim" installers
    for Macintosh users shortly. The player changes required to support the Xtras
    downloading changes are already present on all platforms.

    emmych Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shockwave Player Public Beta 10.0.2 Available

    Hi,

    It is very good to hear that some enhancements are happening in Shockwave
    Technology.

    But we (shockwave3d developers) need some updates in 3D stuff.
    We are waiting for about 3.5 years :)

    Best regards
    Ege Karaosmano?lu
    [url]www.shockland.com[/url]

    shockland.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    I've set up a short shockwave survey which will be passed on to Macromedia
    people. It is at:
    [url]http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/survey/shockwave.htm[/url]
    So please fill in your feedback there:)

    Thanks.

    Dean

    "shockland.com" wrote:
    > It is very good to hear that some enhancements are happening in Shockwave
    > Technology.
    > But....
    Dean Utian Guest

  4. #4

    Originally posted by: Ege Karaosmano?lu
    But we (shockwave3d developers) need some updates in 3D stuff.
    We are waiting for about 3.5 years :)

    Indeed.
    Also, even if I like (and use) YAHOO services, I can't find any connection
    between the ShockWave player and the Yahoo Toolbar (!?!).
    A kind of adware or something ?
    LOL

    necromanthus Guest

  5. #5

    The form doesn't work. When I submit it says "no referer".

    Steve

    "Dean Utian" <d.utianunsw.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've set up a short shockwave survey which will be passed on to Macromedia
    > people. It is at:
    > [url]http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/survey/shockwave.htm[/url]
    > So please fill in your feedback there:)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dean
    >
    > "shockland.com" wrote:
    >
    > > It is very good to hear that some enhancements are happening in
    Shockwave
    > > Technology.
    > > But....

    zippy Guest

  6. #6

    hardware is coming of age - 3d cards are more prevalent than ever before. as a
    flash/web developer i am getting more and more requests for 3D content on the
    web. after looking at director it has great features for authoring such
    content, but the 3D stuff does need an upgrade to take advantage of the latest
    graphics card advances (namely shaders). these will help director deliver 3D of
    the quality required for display the customers products (current 3D quality
    does not cut it). this will make an enormous difference to the demand for 3D
    content.

    and yes the yahoo adware is offensive - particularly to clients who do not
    wish their customers to be subjected to it. you should look at removing it.

    headrush3100 Guest

  7. #7

    I second that!

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  8. #8

    Hi,

    I just tried the slim shockwaveplayer...got big problems...
    I wonder if the way i downloaded xtras until now is still working...
    In my preloader movie i check if the xtra i need is present and then preload
    it via preloadnetthing(the preloader itself doesn't use it). Then i switch
    to a new html page with the movie using the xtra...until now the xtra from
    the cache was installed and every thing was fine...now nothing happens i see
    the macr logo and a empty progress bar that's it....

    Questions are:
    -my movies all use sw3d is there a problem?

    -is the standard progress bar calculated including the xtra(s) download?

    -what is the correct way if i want to preload a big xtra like sw3d via a
    nice customized preloader

    Greetz

    Jörg

    Joerg Birkhold Guest