Professional Web Applications Themes

Shockwave turns 10 - Content Contest Announcement - Macromedia Director 3D

Developers, December of 2005 marks an important milestone in the history of the Shockwave Player, specifically it's the ten year anniversary of the it?s first public release in 1995. In order to help celebrate we are hosting a contest to highlight the best and/or most memorable examples of Shockwave content throughout the years. We are opening the doors to everyone to submit their own content pieces for consideration. The top ten will be selected by members of the Director and Shockwave team here at Macromedia, and then featured as part of our Shockwave anniversary promotional efforts. In addition, the top ...

  1. #1

    Default Shockwave turns 10 - Content Contest Announcement

    Developers,
    December of 2005 marks an important milestone in the history of the Shockwave
    Player, specifically it's the ten year anniversary of the it?s first public
    release in 1995. In order to help celebrate we are hosting a contest to
    highlight the best and/or most memorable examples of Shockwave content
    throughout the years. We are opening the doors to everyone to submit their own
    content pieces for consideration. The top ten will be selected by members of
    the Director and Shockwave team here at Macromedia, and then featured as part
    of our Shockwave anniversary promotional efforts. In addition, the top 3 pieces
    in particular will win the following prizes:

    Third Place
    [url]http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/[/url]

    Thomas Higgins Guest

  2. #2

    Tom is alive (I'm relieved).
    Please replace the first prize with a licence of Macromedia Director v11
    Also we're waiting for the 2nd anniversary of the Shockwave 3d Asset .x32

    keep up the good work.

    necromanthus Guest

  3. #3

    waiting for new Shockwave 3d engine for long time.............................................. ..................................

    shockland.com Guest

  4. #4

    Good news. Director is alive and Macromedia is puting some money on it ( US$
    1200) !
    I believe that, now that Microsoft is investing its money at web3D with WPF 3D
    (beta available now - you can read our tutorials about it at
    [url]http://www.dum.com/avalon3d[/url] ) ADOBE-Macromedia will relaunch Director3D that
    is a little better than WPF 3D (the modest opinion of someone that have
    published also many tutorials about Director3D at: [url]http://www.dmu.com/3dd[/url] ).
    My sugestion is also the relaunch of the good phase-outed ADOBE Atmosphere
    (for 3D chat creation).

    Americo Guest

  5. #5

    Originally posted by: Americo
    Director is alive and ADOBE is puting some money on it ( US$ 1200) !

    1200 USD ???
    Just enough for a business dinner with few guys from MacroMedia staff ...
    Anyway, I can't see any future for Avalon 3D and Anark.
    In my opinion, it's time for MacroMedia (and Adobe) to reborn the relationship
    with INTEL.

    necromanthus Guest

  6. #6

    Because I've got several requests and there're many folks interested in this
    subject, here is a little piece of history:

    History of misses
    Intel's membership in the Web 3D Consortium wasn't its only 3D misfire in
    recent years. The company's April 20 announcement of the 3DIF marked its third
    major 3D collaboration strategy since 2000, when it claimed its new partnership
    with San Francisco-based Macromedia would "allow 3D to take off on the Web."

    By all accounts, that hasn't happened.

    Shockwave 3D "didn't become the universal application that they had hoped, of
    course," Maher said. "It's still a function within Macromedia's tools. Intel
    was the more disillusioned party because Macromedia didn't open it up as freely
    as Intel thought they were going to. In order to author stuff, you had to use
    Macromedia's tools."

    Macromedia did not return calls seeking comment.

    Benoit said he didn't know whether or not his company and Macromedia had
    quarreled over Shockwave 3D's openness. But he noted that in figuring out where
    to go from the moribund arena of 3D shopping and online games, Intel asked
    Macromedia to continue their partnership.

    Macromedia, according to Intel, turned down the chipmaker.

    "We invited Macromedia to participate, but they basically realized that they
    wanted to move away from 3D because it didn't pan out from a revenue generation
    perspective," Benoit said. "So they redirected their resources to their core
    products like Flash."

    The failure of the collaboration between Intel and Macromedia took a heavy
    toll on the 3D start-ups it inspired.

    "That was a period when everyone thought 3D on the Web was going to be huge,"
    Maher recalled. "And there was so much hope that it spawned a lot of
    businesses. A lot of companies placed their bets on it, and they were all sort
    of murdered by the failure of that collaboration."

    Intel blamed the Shockwave 3D failure to live up to expectations on the
    vagaries of the market, and said it had drawn on that experience in deciding to
    quit the Web 3D Consortium and spend the next several months doing market
    research with the likes of Boeing, BMW, General Electric, Hewlett-Packard,
    Lockheed and Airbus.

    "We missed the target (with Shockwave 3D) because at that time, the 3D focus
    was on games, entertainment, the retail space," Benoit said. "With the Internet
    bust, it just didn't pan out. That's why we took the approach we did this time,
    which was to go to the end users first and find out what they wanted."

    In my opinion, except browser based games, ShockWave 3D is the best way for
    any company to promote their products and services.
    What's you point of view Tom ? And what are your future plans ?

    necromanthus Guest

  7. #7

    yes, the time has come after 5 years ... please say some 3D thing ....
    shockland.com Guest