Professional Web Applications Themes

Shortcut to .... 'next page' - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Is there a special code to add to the go to "shortcut" link or do you need to add the link in manually for the "go back one page" and "turn to next page' ? What happens at a later date when you want to add one extra page and havn't learnt about SSI and CCS yet?! Talking of which, where are the good tutorials for learning SSI and any reason the're not talked about much? Cheers, yemaybe...

  1. #1

    Default Shortcut to .... 'next page'

    yesmaybe webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shortcut to .... 'next page'

    yes:

    Hmmm - I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you restate please?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "yesmaybe" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a special code to add to the go to "shortcut" link or do you need
    to add the link in manually for the "go back one page" and "turn to next
    page' ?

    > What happens at a later date when you want to add one extra page and
    havn't learnt about SSI and CCS yet?!
    > Talking of which, where are the good tutorials for learning SSI and any
    reason the're not talked about much?

    > Cheers,
    > yemaybe

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    This commom field, at the bottom of most pages, will take you to the 'next' or 'previous' designated page of the website.

    Is there a way of scripting this or using a code so it automatically changes, or do I have to input the destinaton on each new page I make from the template?

    Hope that makes more sense?

    Cheers.

    yesmaybe Guest

  4. #4

    I know it can be scripted for ASP/VBScript and most likely other server-side languages as well.

    What scripting languages does your server support?

    --

    Dave
    If I were half as smart as people think I am...

  5. #5

    Maybe, maybe not.

    Since I'm familiar with the M$ platform I tend to do most of my stuff in ASP/VBScript, and ASP has several built-in components. One of These is Content Linking and that will do pretty much what you want to do with your links. However, there isn't an extension for DW that I am award of for his sort of thing which means it has to be hand coded.

    Also, since it uses an ASP component, the site will have to be hosted on a Windows box.

    It sounds harder than it actually is ;)

    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnproweb/html/usingtextcontentlinkingfile.asp for a better explanation and how to.

    To see how it works take a look at http://www.alabamatechnologies.com/reference/nb-00.asp (or almost any of the reference topics). Both the "Topic Links" dropdown and the previous/next links at the bottom of the page use this method. If I add a page to the topic, I add one line to a text file where I want the new page to be in the order of things and upload. Everything updates automatically.

  6. #6

    yes:

    By the way (2) - if you just want "previous" to mean the last most recently
    visited page, you can always use -

    It's the "next" part that is the problem.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "yesmaybe" <com> wrote in message
    'next' or 'previous' designated page of the website.
    face="Maiandra GD">previous page</font>
    changes, or do I have to input the destinaton on each new page I make from
    the template?

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the history.go(-1) code Murray. That will at least save me half the time until I can get my head around Dave's log rhythms!

    Cheers.

    yesmaybe Guest

  8. #8

    yes: