Professional Web Applications Themes

should I worry about netscape 4 anymore? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I've just designed a site with an external styleshet that uses percentages for font sizes. I now know that netscape 4 displays percentages as pixel heights (meaning my default font will be 85 pixels high!!!). I've got 2 questions: 1) should I give a stuff? 2) I know you can write rules in CSS. Would it be possible to write a "meta" rule that applied to the whole stylesheet to tell netscape 4 to use just one plain old font style (boring but better than huge text), would I have to write it for each class, and where can I ...

  1. #1

    Default should I worry about netscape 4 anymore?

    I've just designed a site with an external styleshet that uses percentages
    for font sizes. I now know that netscape 4 displays percentages as pixel
    heights (meaning my default font will be 85 pixels high!!!). I've got 2
    questions:
    1) should I give a stuff?
    2) I know you can write rules in CSS. Would it be possible to write a
    "meta" rule that applied to the whole stylesheet to tell netscape 4 to use
    just one plain old font style (boring but better than huge text), would I
    have to write it for each class, and where can I find out how to!

    thanks
    geth

    ---

    Getho Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: should I worry about netscape 4 anymore?

    Getho schrieb:

    > I've just designed a site with an external styleshet that uses percentages
    > for font sizes. I now know that netscape 4 displays percentages as pixel
    > heights (meaning my default font will be 85 pixels high!!!).
    NN4 does have a lot of problems with percentage units, but a direct
    translation of % to px would be news to me. Can you give us an URL, or
    check your code against the bug list at
    <http://css.nu/pointers/bugs-nn.html> ?

    > I've got 2 questions:
    > 1) should I give a stuff?
    That's a business decision. It depends on the particular cirstances
    of the site and your requirements list, which you and your client signed
    as part of the contract.

    > 2) I know you can write rules in CSS. Would it be possible to write a
    > "meta" rule that applied to the whole stylesheet to tell netscape 4 to use
    > just one plain old font style (boring but better than huge text), would I
    > have to write it for each class, and where can I find out how to!
    "How to hide CSS from buggy browsers", by Johannes Koch:
    <http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/>

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt Guest

  3. #3

    Interesting, Flo. I've had similar experiences. I have web design clients
    who use NN4; they don't have a good reason, and they don't even have a clear
    understanding that there are different browsers. We could call them behind
    the times, etc., but they want to write checks for web development work, and
    it seems foolish to just refuse to support their favorite browser.

    Also, until very recently, THREE of the most computer-savvy people I knew
    used NN4. One, the IT Manager for a mid-sized company. Two, a full-time Unix
    administrator for a major university. Three, a very talented Dreamweaver web
    developer. In all of these cases, there was an element of wanting to resist
    Microsoft, and maybe some more irrational reasons. I asked #2 at one point,
    What exactly is the reason you use that browser? Her answer: "No reason."
    :-)

    --
    Ptty Ayers
    [url]http://www.WebDevBiz.com[/url]

    P@tty *TWB* Guest

  4. #4

    Wild isn't it? we'll have to have a virtual party when we no longer run into
    this.

    Flo

    Flo Nelson Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the interesteing responses. I found people with older macs
    still using NN4. I saw the info about %age being treated like height
    on a css website (which one I forget). I'd love someone else to
    confirm that, though. I guess I will do as little as possible to make
    it look OK.

    Getho

    "Eric A. Meyer" <ericmeyerweb.com> wrote in message news:<eric-1A35E2.11272113072003forums.macromedia.com>...
    > In article <bep0l2$9uc$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    > "Getho" <gethinchotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've just designed a site with an external styleshet that uses percentages
    > > for font sizes. I now know that netscape 4 displays percentages as pixel
    > > heights (meaning my default font will be 85 pixels high!!!). I've got 2
    > > questions:
    > > 1) should I give a stuff?
    >
    > Only your server's access logs know for sure. If you have a
    > noticeable NN4.x visitor base, then probably yes. If not, then probably
    > no.
    gethin Guest