What this does is it allows you to customize each page to set the proper down button image, even though the pages are controlled by templates. It works because you can edit the js variable declarations on the child pages. c) A third way to do this (and my favorite) is to run through my (what else?) tutorial about how to do this at our Templates book's companion site - [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url]. It's called Controlling Button 'States' with Template Parameters & Expressions . Hope this helps! -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage! [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ================== "Luwana" wrote in message news:behclr$rbs$1@forums.macromedia.com...[quote] > I am on Windows XP using Dreamweaver and Fireworks MX > > Thank you! > > >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Murray *TMM* [ip] => forums@HAHAgrea [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> > > > > > > > >What this does is it allows you to customize each page to set the proper > >down button image, even though the pages are controlled by templates. It > >works because you can edit the js variable declarations on the child[/quote][/quote] pages.[quote][quote] > > > >c) A third way to do this (and my favorite) is to run through my (what > >else?) tutorial about how to do this at our Templates book's companion > >site - [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url]. It's called Controlling > >Button 'States' with Template Parameters & Expressions . > > > >Hope this helps![/quote] >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Murray *TMM* [ip] => forums@HAHAgrea [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 7 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Show down state of button when on page using templates - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Show down state of button when on page using templates - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am having the same problem.---I am not sure the issue has been made clear enough. The reason I want to use templates is to manage multiple pages without going into each one to make changes. In fireworks, you can create buttons with "down" and "over while down" states. It looks like the only way to get these effects is to do exactly what you previously said: go into each page and replace either that button or the whole navigation bar. But doesn't that conterdict the main reason for templates in the first place? It seems logical to have another ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Show down state of button when on page using templates

    I am having the same problem.---I am not sure the issue has been made clear enough.

    The reason I want to use templates is to manage multiple pages without going into each one to make changes.

    In fireworks, you can create buttons with "down" and "over while down" states. It looks like the only way to get these effects is to do exactly what you previously said: go into each page and replace either that button or the whole navigation bar. But doesn't that conterdict the main reason for templates in the first place?

    It seems logical to have another way to deal with this problem other than opening everypage and replacing the nav bar----doesn't it?

    So the question is: Is there code that can be used in the template that will point to the appropriate buttons/nav bar for specific pages?

    Luwana webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Luwana:

    Yes, you can do this with templates. Please tell me - which DW are you
    using?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Luwana" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I am having the same problem.---I am not sure the issue has been made
    clear enough.

    > The reason I want to use templates is to manage multiple pages without
    going into each one to make changes.

    > In fireworks, you can create buttons with "down" and "over while down"
    states. It looks like the only way to get these effects is to do exactly
    what you previously said: go into each page and replace either that button
    or the whole navigation bar. But doesn't that conterdict the main reason for
    templates in the first place?

    > It seems logical to have another way to deal with this problem other than
    opening everypage and replacing the nav bar----doesn't it?

    > So the question is: Is there code that can be used in the template that
    will point to the appropriate buttons/nav bar for specific pages?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Luwana:

    That's good. Your options are broader in that case.

    Here's a snip (edited) from a post I made here some while ago -

    (I found it at the forum's archive site - you can answer most of your
    questions there, too -

    [url]http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea v[/url]
    er)

    In a template, to get your effect (i.e., the down button being depressed on
    the respective page) you could

    a) put each button of the navigation element into an editable region. This
    is simple, but it moves you back into the realm of having to maintain each
    page individually. Boo.

    b) use a simple javascript trick (plagiarized from the wizards at
    ProjectSeven) to set a variable on each page, and then to determine the
    button's source by testing that variable.

    Put this in the head of the template page -

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function P7_downImage() {
    var g7;
    if ((g7=MM_findObj(g7obj))!=null) {[[[[[[g7.src=g7url;}
    }
    </script>

    and this in the <body> tag

    onload="P7_downImage()

    Then put an editable region somewhere in the body containing this -

    <!-- TemplateBeginEditable "bodyscript" -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var g7="your_button_image_name"
    var g7url="the path to your button's down image"
    </script>
    <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

    What this does is it allows you to customize each page to set the proper
    down button image, even though the pages are controlled by templates. It
    works because you can edit the js variable declarations on the child pages.

    c) A third way to do this (and my favorite) is to run through my (what
    else?) tutorial about how to do this at our Templates book's companion
    site - [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url]. It's called Controlling
    Button 'States' with Template Parameters & Expressions .

    Hope this helps!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    ANSWERS
    ==================
    ==================

    "Luwana" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I am on Windows XP using Dreamweaver and Fireworks MX
    >
    > Thank you!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you!!!

    I'll give this a try.

    Are you familiar with the html fireworks generates for nav bars? I am not a programmer... so here is my next question: Is there a way to look for all of the nav bar html and replace it with the html that Fireworks can generate for each page [that includes the over-while-down state]?

    Thanks again!!

    Luwana webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Luwana:

    I would never recommend that you use any graphics editor to write HTML.
    That's what DW does. So -

    Yes I am familiar with the HTML that FW generates. Do not use it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thank you!!!
    >
    > I'll give this a try.
    >
    > Are you familiar with the html fireworks generates for nav bars? I am not
    a programmer... so here is my next question: Is there a way to look for all
    of the nav bar html and replace it with the html that Fireworks can generate
    for each page [that includes the over-while-down state]?

    > Thanks again!!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    Rain:

    I'm sorry you are having trouble following the tutorial. Let me see if I
    can simple it up for you (it's actually a much better method!). I will do
    this for one button and you can extrapolate it to the rest.

    On your *template* page, insert your DOWN button into the space where the
    menu will go. Push the Right Arrow on the Keyboard and insert the UP image
    right next to it. HUH? Yeah - that's right. You now have both images on
    the page and they are side by side.

    With that DOWN button selected, use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional
    Region. In the Dialog Panel that appears when you do that, on the Basic
    tab, name the region - let's say it's "button1down". Below this, there is a
    checkbox for Show by default, and you should leave this UNCHECKED. Click OK.
    Make sure that the Optional Region surrounds the button by looking at the
    code.

    What have you done? You have made a button that will NOT be shown on child
    pages by default.

    Now select the UP button and use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional Region
    once again. This time, instead of using the Basic Tab, choose the Advanced
    Tab. Click on the Radio button for entering an expression, and use the
    expression "!button1down", i.e., NOT button1down. Click OK.

    What have you done? You have made a button that will *only* be shown when
    the Optional Region called "button1down" is false. Save the page.

    Now spawn a child from this Template. Which button do you see on the child
    page?

    Now use MODIFY | Template Properties..., select 'button1down' and then click
    on the checkbox for Show button1down. Click OK. Which button do you see
    now?

    Get it?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:04:12 -0400, "Murray *TMM*"
    <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
    >Rain:
    >
    >I'm sorry you are having trouble following the tutorial. Let me see if I
    >can simple it up for you (it's actually a much better method!). I will do
    >this for one button and you can extrapolate it to the rest.
    >
    >On your *template* page, insert your DOWN button into the space where the
    >menu will go. Push the Right Arrow on the Keyboard and insert the UP image
    >right next to it. HUH? Yeah - that's right. You now have both images on
    >the page and they are side by side.
    >
    >With that DOWN button selected, use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional
    >Region. In the Dialog Panel that appears when you do that, on the Basic
    >tab, name the region - let's say it's "button1down". Below this, there is a
    >checkbox for Show by default, and you should leave this UNCHECKED. Click OK.
    >Make sure that the Optional Region surrounds the button by looking at the
    >code.
    >
    >What have you done? You have made a button that will NOT be shown on child
    >pages by default.
    >
    >Now select the UP button and use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional Region
    >once again. This time, instead of using the Basic Tab, choose the Advanced
    >Tab. Click on the Radio button for entering an expression, and use the
    >expression "!button1down", i.e., NOT button1down. Click OK.
    >
    >What have you done? You have made a button that will *only* be shown when
    >the Optional Region called "button1down" is false. Save the page.
    >
    >Now spawn a child from this Template. Which button do you see on the child
    >page?
    >
    >Now use MODIFY | Template Properties..., select 'button1down' and then click
    >on the checkbox for Show button1down. Click OK. Which button do you see
    >now?
    >
    >Get it?

    Thanks, Murray, for the detailed instructions. I will go try that and
    see what I can come up with.

    -- Rainwalker
    Rainwalker Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:04:12 -0400, "Murray *TMM*"
    <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

    Murray,

    Just wanted to say "Thanks!" again. I've played around with it a
    while and I see where you are going. Now I've just got to modify it
    for my own buttons. I also went back to Kim Cavanaugh's tutoiral,
    determined to figure out what I had done wrong, and got that working,
    too. It was a combination of my own failure to follow the export
    directions carefully enough and then inserting the resulting html into
    a test page that already had lots of messed up code in it. I put it
    into a clean page and it worked perfectly. Nice to know I now have
    two options to make that troublesome nav-bar.
    You deserve a gold star for all the help and time you give people.
    I remember many years ago how you were helping everyone in a
    SmartPlanet course for DW. You were tireless then, and are continuing
    the tradition now. I really appreciate it!
    -- Rainwalker

    >Rain:
    >
    >I'm sorry you are having trouble following the tutorial. Let me see if I
    >can simple it up for you (it's actually a much better method!). I will do
    >this for one button and you can extrapolate it to the rest.
    >
    >On your *template* page, insert your DOWN button into the space where the
    >menu will go. Push the Right Arrow on the Keyboard and insert the UP image
    >right next to it. HUH? Yeah - that's right. You now have both images on
    >the page and they are side by side.
    >
    >With that DOWN button selected, use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional
    >Region. In the Dialog Panel that appears when you do that, on the Basic
    >tab, name the region - let's say it's "button1down". Below this, there is a
    >checkbox for Show by default, and you should leave this UNCHECKED. Click OK.
    >Make sure that the Optional Region surrounds the button by looking at the
    >code.
    >
    >What have you done? You have made a button that will NOT be shown on child
    >pages by default.
    >
    >Now select the UP button and use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional Region
    >once again. This time, instead of using the Basic Tab, choose the Advanced
    >Tab. Click on the Radio button for entering an expression, and use the
    >expression "!button1down", i.e., NOT button1down. Click OK.
    >
    >What have you done? You have made a button that will *only* be shown when
    >the Optional Region called "button1down" is false. Save the page.
    >
    >Now spawn a child from this Template. Which button do you see on the child
    >page?
    >
    >Now use MODIFY | Template Properties..., select 'button1down' and then click
    >on the checkbox for Show button1down. Click OK. Which button do you see
    >now?
    >
    >Get it?
    Rainwalker Guest

  10. #10

    Rain:

    OMG - you remember me from SmartPlanet? 8)

    That's the thing that got me *INTO* DW. Had it not been for the SmartPlanet
    courses I took, I would likely still be using FPExpress or something! 8)

    I am thrilled to hear that it finally clicked for you. Way to go. You can
    now wear the green mantle of
    'menu guruness'!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

> [...]
    child
    > >pages by default.
    > >
    > >Now select the UP button and use INSERT | Template Objects > Optional
    Region
    > >once again. This time, instead of using the Basic Tab, choose the
    > >Tab. Click on the Radio button for entering an expression, and use the
    > >expression "!button1down", i.e., NOT button1down. Click OK.
    > >
    > >What have you done? You have made a button that will *only* be shown
    when
    > >the Optional Region called "button1down" is false. Save the page.
    > >
    > >Now spawn a child from this Template. Which button do you see on the
    child
    > >page?
    > >
    > >Now use MODIFY | Template Properties..., select 'button1down' and then
    click
    > >on the checkbox for Show button1down. Click OK. Which button do you see

    Murray *TMM* Guest