Professional Web Applications Themes

Show graphics and other objects in design mode that maycome from PHP? - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hello, I usually code in either emacs or vim, but I would like to setup a type of system such that people with limited technical knowledge could still work very easily with Dreamweaver CS3 to make and edit content on pages that already contain some PHP. Every page has the same basic style, which is provided by PHP includes. This way, throughout the massive site every page has a similar look and feel. The part of the page that is editable is simply the main content area. The problem is that when in Design View, the PHP isn't included and ...

  1. #1

    Default Show graphics and other objects in design mode that maycome from PHP?

    Hello,

    I usually code in either emacs or vim, but I would like to setup a type of
    system such that people with limited technical knowledge could still work very
    easily with Dreamweaver CS3 to make and edit content on pages that already
    contain some PHP. Every page has the same basic style, which is provided by
    PHP includes. This way, throughout the massive site every page has a similar
    look and feel. The part of the page that is editable is simply the main
    content area. The problem is that when in Design View, the PHP isn't included
    and rendered at all. As a result the designer is left with no real visual
    clues about how something looks or feels until they actually upload it to a
    server.

    Is there some type of way around this? I get the feeling that there isn't
    really since the PHP must be processed by a webserver, somewhere, but if say
    the machine they are using dreamweaver on has a local instance of Apache+PHP
    running on it, then is there a way to make this happen? Could Dreamweaver
    somehow ask the Apache to render the parts it needs and then return it to the
    design view?

    Right now it is setup pretty easily, some changes can be made, you can flip to
    Firefox and refresh and the localhost that is running apache will show the
    change, but they are still kind of in a guess-and-check mode since they don't
    know quite precisely how something is going to look until they save and switch
    over. (Text might be off a bit, other things may look too scrunched, etc)

    Any ideas? Any feedback? Did this question even make sense?

    Thanks in advance,
    luvpizza

    luvpizza Guest

  2. #2

    Are you saying you need to render the PHP to get the HTML for the include?
    If so, then I am afraid your answer is no. In other words if your include
    files are like this -

    <?php

    echo "<h1>Hello</h1>"

    ?>

    then you will not see this "Hello" in DW, but instead just the PHP shield.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "luvpizza" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Yeah, I think you described what I wanted. I basically wanted the PHP shield to be missing and instead replaced with the PHP generated HTML somehow.
    luvpizza Guest

  4. #4

    Well if your include files contain html that is visible to dreamweaver then the
    content of the include will also be visible within the file that calls the
    include file.

    For example test.php contains:
    <?php include("./includeme.php"); ?> which contains Hello World. This
    will be rendered in test.php via wysiwyg view. But if your <?php
    include("./includeme.php"); ?> contains <?php echo "Hello World."; ?>
    then it will render provided you use the Live Data View. "Select View > Live
    Data." This will allow you to edit the design of your page while simultaneously
    viewing the final product of your php include live within dreamweaver.

    If you want to know how to set this up just search for Live Data View within
    your DW CS3 help.

    Hope that helps.
    Jeff
    But if you want <?php

    jphilapy Guest

  5. #5

    Huzzah! Actually Live View was just what I was looking for! I already had a
    local test server with PHP and everything setup, so it was actually just a
    matter of clicking the icon to have it render the php!

    Thanks!

    luvpizza Guest

  6. #6

    cool!