Professional Web Applications Themes

Show / Hide Text Form Fields - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I've searched in the guide and this forum for an answer to this and I'm getting nowhere. Someone has asked this question in January but got no answers. I'm creating a pdf form and all I want to do is have a box of text appear when the cursor goes over a certain area, just like it does in Windows, but the Acrobat instructions don't seem to show how to do that. They explain how to get movies and graphics and all kinds of strange things to appear when the cursor hovers over a certain area, but not text, well, ...

  1. #1

    Default Show / Hide Text Form Fields

    I've searched in the guide and this forum for an answer to this and I'm getting nowhere. Someone has asked this question in January but got no answers. I'm creating a pdf form and all I want to do is have a box of text appear when the cursor goes over a certain area, just like it does in Windows, but the Acrobat instructions don't seem to show how to do that. They explain how to get movies and graphics and all kinds of strange things to appear when the cursor hovers over a certain area, but not text, well, not proper text, multi-lined etc..

    I can get it to work if I put text on a button, but that doesn't allow much text, unless you want it all on the same line. I know I'm thick sometimes but please, someone, take pitty on a mere mortal here.
    Richard_Archer-Jones@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Show / Hide Text Form Fields

    Well, I have managed to do it, but it was hard work and if anybody wants to know I'll struggle out instructions. Where is this in the guide?

    Now I've got a problem whereby the text in the boxes to be filled in by the customer is not central on someone else's computer who's got Reader 6.0 (I've got Reader 5.0 and Writer 5.0 - is the full programme called Writer?) but it is on my PC. Not only that but the tops of any letters typed in weren't showing. How do you make it so that a form will look the same on different versions of Reader?
    Richard_Archer-Jones@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Richard,

    is this what you're looking for? <http://www.re-pdf.com/?f=523&x=3ac4e2b6a28e279083bd5d1e0b71a644>
    xile@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Xile, how did you do that trick with the example PDF? I have many times just wanted to send someone a sample rather than writing about it.
    Garrett_Cobarr@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I uploaded it to www.re-pdf.com and got a link back, which I posted here.

    re:PDF prepares the form to send the fill back to a server, by adding a submit-button. Since service is free until you want to view more than five fills, I kinda used it to just publish "your" PDF... =D
    xile@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Xile, thanks for the tip, this is an interesting service but I could not figure out how to use it because almost none of the info is in English. Is that Swedish?
    Garrett_Cobarr@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    There's an "English"-link in the upper-right corner:
    <http://www.re-pdf.com/?lang=en>

    Is that Swedish?

    I guess. Some of the links under "News" say "Swedish only".
    xile@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Xile, but I've figured out how to produce hidden text fields that show up when cursor hovering, but now I'm having problems whereby the visible fields I've created to be filled in aren't centred correctly in different versions of Acrobat.

    That site looks interesting. The fact that filled in forms can't be saved by the user with Acrobat Reader is a major problem and might end up meaning that Acrobat won't be being used in future for form filling. Of course, the most important information we require, the cost, is not available on the site.
    Richard_Archer-Jones@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    $30 per form and month (unlimited number of fills), or you could host the service yourself. (using re:PDF myself, found the prices on the company's web site)
    Vincent_Storm@adobeforums.com Guest