Professional Web Applications Themes

Show PDF File in Windows Form using Visual Basic 2005 - Adobe Acrobat SDK

Hello. I am a developer beginner in acrobat products. I'm developing an application and I need to open one pdf file in one form with various controls, such as Text Boxes and so on, using visual basic 2005. I try to insert the Acrobat control in that form and it not works. What do I need to do to make this possible. My configuration. Windows XP Pro. Visual Studio 2005 Pro. Acrobat 7 Professional. In the client computer I have to install Acrobat 7 Professional or I need only the Acrobat Reader? Thanks. Fernando Silva....

  1. #1

    Default Show PDF File in Windows Form using Visual Basic 2005

    fmmfgs@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The Acrobat SDK describes which interfaces require Acrobat, and which
    ones work in Reader. Most require Acrobat. Check especially the IAC
    Overview, "Differences among the Acrobat viewers" in each section.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It should be possible to use the free Reader, if you only want to display and print pdf files.

    I have been using the Adobe Acrobat ActiveX (COM) with VB.
    (Menu: Project / Add Reference / COM tab / select "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0" ). You then drag it from the Toolbox to your form. You then have access to code commands to size it, make it visible (or not) and to Load pdf files. You can display the file within a window on your form (Load).

    Once you have pdf filename, you should be able to display it using only 2 commands :
    AcroPDF1.Visible = True
    fileNameX = "C:\subdir\Myfile-x.pdf"
    AcroPDF1.LoadFile fileNameX
    Michael_Marden@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Do we need a license from Adobe to redistribute the DLLs referenced when a COM object is used in the above manner mentioned by Michael?
    Rahul_Ingle@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You can't distribute JUST the DLL's - you would need to distribute the entire Adobe Reader.

    And yes, for that, you would need a license.

    Leonard
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm not sure I follow the argument for the need of a license.
    Why would anyone distribute Adobe Reader? I assume any user machines will correctly obtain their own copy of the free Reader.

    If my program calls Reader resources, do I need a license to send my program (but not Reader) to others?

    If so, sending anyone a pdf file would seem to require the same license.
    Michael_Marden@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    No, you only need a license to redistribute Reader. More people want
    to do this than you might think, e.g. to include it on a CDROM with a
    PDF doent.

  8. #8

    and to ensure that users have the latest/correct version of Reader.

  9. #9

    This is for a VB editor not for visual studio 2005 Using (Menu: Project / Add Reference / COM tab / select "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0" ) adds this to Bin and if you do this in the toolbar it not be usuable, you can not add it to the project. Is their not a solution?
    Ernest_Pinkard@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Is their not a solution?

    I don't understand your question. All the SDK samples are for VS2005.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I have a tree view with checkbox's to select pdf files i have been trying to select a few pdfs and sent them to print. i am using asp.net and vb script help please
    christopherholloway@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    How are you working with ASP.NET and Acrobat?

    ASP.NET is a server-based language while Acrobat is NOT licensed for use on a server.

  13. #13

    I dropped the Adobe Acrobat pdf reader browser control on my web form. I can assign a path in the data property and upon opening the form the pdf file displays in the window. However, I would like the ability to change the pdf doent upon certain events in the form, (let's say a button event). The problem is I do not know how to assign a new path to the reader. If I use this:
    AcroPDF1.Visible = True
    fileNameX = "C:\subdir\Myfile-x.pdf"
    AcroPDF1.LoadFile(fileNameX)

    The program does not recognize AcroPDF1? I am asuming I need to import a library in the code? like Imports AcroPDFlib ???? But I do not know which one. Can you help? Thanks!
    Mike_Kapler@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    You say you already have a PDF displaying in the form. What is the variable name you are using for that control? Reference the same control.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I am not referencing a varible name.
    As a test I hard coded a path in the 'Data' property of the reader.

    In code I tried me. ...and there is no prompt. I even gave the reader an ID name, and still it can not be found.
    Mike_Kapler@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I am not referencing a varible name.

    If the Reader control is on your Form, it has a variable name since it is a variable. What language are you using for your form, VB.NET?
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Yes VB.net, vs 2003.

    What would the variable name be? If I try AcroPDF1 I get a compiler message stating that the name 'is not declared.'

    If I just drop the control on the form, a generic name should be given. Like a datagrid, is Datagrid1.

    ???
    Shouldn't there be some kind of an 'imports' statement at the top of the code for the reader?
    Mike_Kapler@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Shouldn't there be some kind of an 'imports' statement at the top of the
    code for the reader?

    Depends which source file you're looking in. There will be one in the source for the form, which is not usually the same file you will do your coding in.

    The variable name will be declared in your Form.Designer.vb file, you can also see it by clicking on the object in Design mode, it will be in the header of the property list.

    If you don't know how object name assigning works, you should probably take a refresher in VB before trying to develop in it. Pretty much a bedrock principle of the language.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks for your input. I have not used these types of objects before. I am used to standard web controls where each has a name or at least where one can assign a name. Here is the html code for the adobe reader object:

    With my limited experiense, I thought I could just type in code,
    me.ReaderPDF.Data = etc...
    I guess that is not the case. All is not lost though since, I can create a datagrid which contains links to pdf doents on the server and I can open that way. I was just trying to figure out how to use the reader. Thanks
    Mike_Kapler@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    "OBJECT id="ReaderPDF" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 264px; WIDTH: 504px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 56px; HEIGHT: 480px"
    data="http://ipaddress/BulletinBoard/PDF_Folder/BulletinBoardMessage.pdf"
    classid="clsid:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000" VIEWASTEXT>
    "/OBJECT"

    I did not know the forum would not let me post html. Not sure if the above will display with tags removed.
    Mike_Kapler@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast