Professional Web Applications Themes

Shutter realease needed or not? Tripod differences? - Photography

"Jeffrey Stetz" <yevsnewshotmail.com> wrote... > 1) When taking pictures with a tripod, is it necessary to use the > remote shutter release cord or is there another way of doing (except > timer)? If you can gently press the release button without moving the whole setup, why not? I often do it that way. Of course, a cable would be better, but who's got time? > If I must absolutely use a release cord, which is the right > one for a Rebel G? What does the manual say? > I searched on eBay but couldn't find any listing to ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Shutter realease needed or not? Tripod differences?

    "Jeffrey Stetz" <yevsnewshotmail.com> wrote...
    > 1) When taking pictures with a tripod, is it necessary to use the
    > remote shutter release cord or is there another way of doing (except
    > timer)?
    If you can gently press the release button without moving the
    whole setup, why not? I often do it that way. Of course, a cable
    would be better, but who's got time?
    > If I must absolutely use a release cord, which is the right
    > one for a Rebel G?
    What does the manual say?
    > I searched on eBay but couldn't find any listing to
    > specify Rebel G, just "Canon" - I assume they're not all the same, are
    > they?
    May be. Or may be not. I know that cable releases differ for
    older EOSes and mine (50e).
    > 2) Is there a difference in tripods from one maker to another or are
    > they pretty much the same?
    Yes, there certainly is. Height, weight, sturdiness, ability to
    support weight, configuration (connectors between legs, central
    post, etc).
    > 3) Also, are the tripods universal for both cameras and camcorders??
    No. Tripods for camcorders are lighter (they don't need to be
    able to carry a lot of weight) and have a handle that allows easy
    direction of the camcorder (panning or tilting). Photographic
    tripods usually don't have that (because you hold the camera and/or
    the lens to compose).

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    ROBMURR Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    "Victor Bazarov" <v.AbazarovattAbi.com> wrote in message
    > "Jeffrey Stetz" <yevsnewshotmail.com> wrote...
    > > 1) When taking pictures with a tripod, is it necessary to use the
    > > remote shutter release cord or is there another way of doing (except
    > > timer)?
    >
    > If you can gently press the release button without moving the
    > whole setup, why not? I often do it that way. Of course, a cable
    > would be better, but who's got time?
    Don't do that with long exposures.
    -----
    The EOS 3, 1V, 1N, 1N RS, 1D, 1Ds, D30/D60/10D all use the same variety of
    release connection....See below for yours...

    The Rebel and Elan series cameras use this one:
    [url]http://makeashorterlink.com/?O27151345[/url]

    Mark M Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Phil Stripling Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Duncan Ross Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Jeffrey Stetz wrote:
    > 2) there is so much variety in tripods, and they're SO expensive, I
    > found... I was only hoping to spend under $30, had no idea they ran
    > into $Hundreds :(
    >
    > Are there any "decent" tripods somewhere around < $30? I guess if not,
    > either I'll buy something crappy and hope it does the job for a while,
    > or just start scouring garage sales and shoot in daylight :^)
    In the $30 price range, for "small values of decent," the best I've seen is
    the Hakuba S-6000 (Target recently had some).

    --
    John Miller

    How sharper than a hound's tooth it is to have a thankless serpent.

    John Miller Guest

  7. #7

    Jeffrey Stetz wrote:
    > 1) When taking pictures with a tripod, is it necessary to use the
    > remote shutter release cord or is there another way of doing (except
    > timer)? If I must absolutely use a release cord, which is the right
    > one for a Rebel G? I searched on eBay but couldn't find any listing to
    > specify Rebel G, just "Canon" - I assume they're not all the same, are
    > they?
    >
    > 2) Is there a difference in tripods from one maker to another or are
    > they pretty much the same?
    >
    > 3) Also, are the tripods universal for both cameras and camcorders??
    >
    > Thanks.

    If the shutter speed is really low, say 1/4 sec. or slower, then a cable
    release is not really required, just a light touch to close the shutter
    release. (Assumes a good stiff tripod). For shutter speeds between
    1/15 and 1/125, self timer or MLU is reccomended, or at minimum a cable
    release. Up to 1/250 or so, a cable release is a benefit. 1/500 and
    up, it will not show unless there is a lot of /vibration.

    The "good" tripods (Manfrotto/Bogen, the better Sliks, etc.) are pretty
    stiff and solid.

    Most "good" tripods require a "head" and the heads (on the small to
    medium) tripod all have the same 1/4" threading as most cameras and
    video-cameras.

    Alan

    Alan Browne Guest

  8. #8

    Jeffrey Stetz wrote:
    > Thanks
    >
    > 1) the shutter release is the same for a lot of Canons - for a Rebel G
    > it's also the model RS-60E3
    >
    > 2) there is so much variety in tripods, and they're SO expensive, I
    > found... I was only hoping to spend under $30, had no idea they ran
    > into $Hundreds :(
    >
    > Are there any "decent" tripods somewhere around < $30? I guess if not,
    > either I'll buy something crappy and hope it does the job for a while,
    > or just start scouring garage sales and shoot in daylight :^)
    >
    > ok thx
    Judge tripods according to stiffness and weight. I've got an old worn
    tripod that has individually and infinitely adjustable legs, which is why I
    still use it; it's not very heavy at all. But I use it quite successfully!
    You can do the same.

    Here's how:

    Create a way of hanging your gadget bag from beneath the center post.
    Assuming your gadget bag is a proper gadget bag (weighs far more than you
    ever thought it would, and is a PITA to have to carry very far), it will
    put the center of gravity of the tripod exactly where it should be; it will
    add a vibration dampening mass; it will serve to stiffen all the loose
    joints; it will keep the damn thing out of the way while your working
    (gadget bags are always underfoot: Murphy's Law #104867364).

    Etc.

    I've also got a Manfretto with the bi-directional center post, and when the
    camera location is on the ground where my chin is in the mud whilst
    framing, it does everything except keep my chin clean...... lol!!!!

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  9. #9

    In article <7df4caf3.0307171811.634cabdcposting.google.com >,
    [email]yevsnewshotmail.com[/email] (Jeffrey Stetz) wrote:
    > But, I still feel that I need a cable release. For some reason I am
    > enchanted with late-afternoon photography (in my head) where I often
    > may need shutter speeds of .5, 1, or 2 seconds, and I don't think a
    > tripod alone will be sufficient. But, I catch myself buying stuff and
    > 'getting ready' instead of actually doing something to help me learn
    > to take pictures. ehhhh.

    If you think you need a cable release, go ahead and get one. They only
    cost a few bucks.* Of course, if you're patient, you could just use the
    self-timer. Ičve found mine to be very useful, especially for night
    photography.

    -Ben Abzug

    *Assuming your shutter release button can accept threaded cable releases.
    Ben Abzug Guest