Professional Web Applications Themes

SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D - Photography

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml...

  1. #1

    Default SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml
    Alice Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

    "Alice" <ws> wrote in message news:cc...

    I hope this finally puts to rest the idea that more megapixels = a better
    camera. Nice comparison. Thanks for the site.

    Sheldon Guest

  3. #3

    "Alice" <ws> wrote in message news:cc...

    Well, there you have it. I'm buying a D70 now.

    Not.

    Greg

    G.T. Guest

  4. #4

    "Alice" <ws> wrote in message news:cc...

    I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots will
    read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.

    I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
    original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
    to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Fitpix Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    "Clyde Torres" <com> wrote in message

    > I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
    > will read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.
    >
    > I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
    > original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
    > to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.[/ref]

    Reading the first page the feature set has the slight edge for nikon in
    terms of shear number of advantages over the other. Whether these features
    are individually or as a whole enough to sway one over the other is down to
    personal preference. Overall you would have to be hard pushed to use either
    of these cameras to their very limit.

    ian Guest

  7. #7

    "Clyde Torres" <com> wrote in message

    > I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
    > will read what they want out of it and come up with different conclusions.
    >
    > I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
    > original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still superior
    > to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.[/ref]

    going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

    ian Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Sheldon Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    > going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

    Given that the Canon kit lens ends up costing about $80 and that the Nikon
    kit lens ends up costing about $300 (well, now $200 with the extra rebate),
    that's exactly what you'd expect, regardless of brand. The argument that
    the D70 is better than the DR XT because of the kit lens is like saying that
    one car is better than another because of the tires that come on it.

    Also, their repeated argument that the D70 can shoot 144 continuous burst
    frames while the DR XT can only shoot 14 is completely wrong, the D70 gets
    (depending on your card) about 2.8 FPS for 15 frames, while the DR XT gets
    about 2.8 FPS for 20 frames - then they both drop to about 1.9 and 1.6,
    respecively, until you run out of storage.
    (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/page6.asp) That sort of
    exagerated inaccuracy really does make me question either their
    familiarities with the cameras or intents.

    (Note that I have no argument as to whether the D70 or 350D is a better
    camera.)

    steve

    Steve Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    measekite Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    In article <cc>, ws says...

    Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
    your judgment on the camera heavily on that.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  12. #12

    "ian lincoln" <com> wrote in message

    > > I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
    > > will read what they want out of it and come up with different[/ref][/ref]
    conclusions. [/ref]
    superior

    > Reading the first page the feature set has the slight edge for nikon in
    > terms of shear number of advantages over the other. Whether these[/ref]
    features
    either

    As far as just image quality is concerned the Canon, with more pixels and
    larger ISO range, probably has a slight edge. But I agree that the Nikon
    wins feature-wise. One thing that stands out is the lack of wireless flash
    control on the Canon. I bought a D70 last year, and hadn't really thought
    about the feature before the purchase. After using it, I wouldn't do without
    it. The problem with the Canon is not that it doesn't some with the camera,
    but that they want 1/3 the price of the body to add it. You can get a decent
    lens for that.

    Steve Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    ian Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    JohnR66 Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    >> I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
    >> will read what they want out of it and come up with different
    >> conclusions.
    >>
    >> I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
    >> original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still
    >> superior to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.[/ref]
    >
    > going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.[/ref]

    There certainly are more custom functions on the nikon, i wonder how many
    budding amateurs would comprehend the real world practical use of each one
    let alone use them to their full artistic potential. My main concern is the
    sensor itself. Very low noise images even at high iso is a good thing. No
    need for IS lenses if you can increase the sensitivity by 3 stops without a
    serious compromise on noise.

    I have heard of problems with moire patterns such as that of photographing a
    roof with uniform slates lined on it. I've been shown an example of the
    nikon censor producing interesting patterns of its own under these
    cirstances.

    The bundled raw processing software with the d70 is said to be e too.

    My main concern as someone who sells both and is not on commission is that i
    am giving an honest and informed opinion. The typical person who asks me
    won't have done his reading and asks very basic questions about the cameras.
    This makes me think things like custom functions and other things buried
    deep in menus aren't going to be used so though on paper the D70 is better
    you are paying for alot of stuff you aren't going to use. There is also the
    issue of plain old image quality, how does the nikon cope in both raw and
    jpeg. Such a user is more likely to be a jpeg user so which is the better
    using that format?

    A typical example is of someone who thinks he is going to make it as a
    wedding photographer (don't ask). Typically alot of flash used to flash
    exposure control is important. This means the d70. On the other hand you
    aren't going to stick with the built in flash and the ex550 has flash
    exposure compensation so is it an issue?

    In a reasonably lit church were people aren't groping around in the dark
    the EV0.5 sensitivity compared to the EV1 of the canon for metering and
    focusing isn't really an issue. Black cats in coal scuttles may be one
    thing but comparitively ordinary conditions i doubt it. On paper the nikon
    is better but it costs 200 more even with cashback in our store.

    The 350 is a nice compromise in price performance and features between the
    300 and the 20D. With enlargements and cropping in consideration i think
    the final resolution and sensor qualities tilt the balance in such a
    customers hands.

    ian Guest

  16. #16

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    The final resolution debate.
    Had an older couple who currently shoot film with an eos 300 and want to go
    digital. They are currently scanning film and then photoshopping the
    results. Rather insistent on 300 dpi at the final print size of A3. yet
    they are using an HP injket. I didn't think inkjets could make use of
    300dpi. As for the nikon well if they are getting the results they want
    with a 300 then a 300D will be fine. The extra 200 would be wasted. On
    the other hand the extra 2mp of the 350 may still not give them the
    resolution they desire.

    My advice was that genuine fractals and noise ninja would be of more use to
    them than spending on the extra 2megapixels. AP said that the noise and
    quality of the 300D was so good that even the bicubic resampling gave pretty
    good results. I suggested they only increase the size by 20% at a time
    rather than one jump. Finally i gave them a disk of my own work and said
    "print that at A3 without any manipulation and see what happens". They also
    wanted to know if they could take me home ;)

    Based on the same situation what would you have advised?

    ian Guest

  17. #17

    Brian C. Baird wrote:

    >Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
    >your judgment on the camera heavily on that.[/ref]

    I agree, the Nikon gets the edge in image quality due to the better
    glass on it. Perhaps if you couple the 350/XT with a similar quality
    lense like the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, that optical edge is removed and it
    once again becomes more a comparison of the bodies.

    It's too bad Canon didn't have an 18-70 or similar lense to compare with
    the Nikkor 18-70. Now that I think about it, I'd like to see Canon come
    out with a non-IS version of their 17-85 with the same optical quality,
    as it would be a good everyday lense for a good price. It would be an
    excellent starter lense for the Rebel series and 20D too.
    Bill Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Fitpix Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    In article <net>, billc.a says...

    > I agree, the Nikon gets the edge in image quality due to the better
    > glass on it. Perhaps if you couple the 350/XT with a similar quality
    > lense like the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, that optical edge is removed and it
    > once again becomes more a comparison of the bodies.
    >
    > It's too bad Canon didn't have an 18-70 or similar lense to compare with
    > the Nikkor 18-70. Now that I think about it, I'd like to see Canon come
    > out with a non-IS version of their 17-85 with the same optical quality,
    > as it would be a good everyday lense for a good price. It would be an
    > excellent starter lense for the Rebel series and 20D too.[/ref]

    The best way to compare the two would be to put either a third-party
    lens on each, or use the respective 50mm primes from Nikon and Canon,
    which are pretty much identical in quality.

    As far as the kit lenses, Canon doesn't have a equivalent to the 18-70
    Nikon, but the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS certainly has a lot going for it.
    If only it were closer in price to the 24-135mm version.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  20. #20

    Alice wrote:

    Interesting comparison.

    I think he went into too much detail on items that don't matter (i.e
    0.2 versus 0.02 seconds start-up time), and didn't concentrate enough
    on important items.

    Strongest negative of the 350D is the lack of spot metering. Strongest
    negative of the D70 is the noise at higher ISO settings, ISO range, and
    moire.

    Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I always tend to first look at what the
    reviews say are the "negatives" or "cons" of each camera, and find the
    fewest cons that are important, and for which their is no workaround.
    Then I look at the "positives" or "pros" of the models that haven't
    been eliminated by the "negatives" or "cons."

    The biggest drawbacks of the D70 are noise at higher ISO settings, and
    excessive moire, for which there is no real work-arounds. The lack of
    mirror lock-up, and the lack of a vertical grip (even though there is
    an after-market grip coming), would be other issues that some people
    may care about, though maybe not in the amateur segment.

    Steve
    http://digitalslrinfo.com

    scharf.steven@gmail.com Guest

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast