Professional Web Applications Themes

Silly background image - Macromedia Fireworks

HEy all I have a project I'm working on. Designed the layout in FW, transferred the resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the background images. Am I OK using JPEGs? BR...

  1. #1

    Default Silly background image

    HEy all

    I have a project I'm working on. Designed the layout in FW, transferred the
    resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the background
    images.

    Am I OK using JPEGs?

    BR

    Bill Ray Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Silly background image

    "Bill Ray" wrote in message ...
    : HEy all
    :
    : I have a project I'm working on. Designed the layout in FW, transferred
    the
    : resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the
    background
    : images.
    :
    : Am I OK using JPEGs?
    :
    : BR
    :
    :
    I can't think of any good reason why not Billy, except some graphics can be
    lighter (less kb) if they are 'flown in' as gifs.

    It really depends on the image. Photo's are nearly always better and lighter
    as jpgs. Where as simple graphics are often lighter as gifs, but if you have
    gradients and shadows you will probably be better going back to jpgs.

    HTH

    Peter R.

    Peter R. Guest

  3. #3

    I have some gradients and drop shadows so the Jpeg format will work. I was
    more concerned with browser compatability, as in the past I've had the
    occasional BG image not want to cooperate and show up.

    Had to threaten the dern thing with the business end of a ball-peen hammer
    to make it work........ :)

    BR

    "Peter R." <flashreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote in message

    > "Bill Ray" wrote in message ...
    > : HEy all
    > :
    > : I have a project I'm working on. Designed the layout in FW, transferred
    > the
    > : resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the
    > background
    > : images.
    > :
    > : Am I OK using JPEGs?
    > :
    > : BR
    > :
    > :
    > I can't think of any good reason why not Billy, except some graphics can
    be
    > lighter (less kb) if they are 'flown in' as gifs.
    >
    > It really depends on the image. Photo's are nearly always better and
    lighter
    > as jpgs. Where as simple graphics are often lighter as gifs, but if you
    have
    > gradients and shadows you will probably be better going back to jpgs.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter R.

    Bill Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Bill:

    Here are the 'background image not showing up' causes -

    1. You have inadvertantly applied the background image to the <tr> tag
    (this is a known DW eccentricity, although I have not seen it in DMX). The
    solution is to move the background attribute to the <td> tag.

    2. You have used a GIF as a background and you are looking in NN4x (NN4x
    for unknown reasons will not show/tile certain GIF images - this is
    particularly puzzling when trying to tile a frame image around a table).
    The solution is to make those images into JPG images which NN4x handles as
    desired.

    3. You have used a stylesheet to set the background image, and you have
    used a doent relative link to the background image (NN4x interprets that
    link as originating with the STYLESHEET, not the page linking to the
    stylesheet, so if your image is not at the same folder level as the page,
    then you could see a missing image). The solution is to use ROOT RELATIVE
    links for such images.

    I don't know of any others. You are safe using JPG images as long as you
    manage these other issues.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Bill Ray" <billbillraydrums.com_BLAH> wrote in message
    > I have some gradients and drop shadows so the Jpeg format will work. I was
    > more concerned with browser compatability, as in the past I've had the
    > occasional BG image not want to cooperate and show up.
    >
    > Had to threaten the dern thing with the business end of a ball-peen hammer
    > to make it work........ :)
    >
    > BR
    >

    > "Peter R." <flashreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bill Ray" wrote in message ...
    > > : HEy all
    > > :
    > > : I have a project I'm working on. Designed the layout in FW,
    transferred
    > > the
    > > : resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the
    > > background
    > > : images.
    > > :
    > > : Am I OK using JPEGs?
    > > :
    > > : BR
    > > :
    > > :
    > > I can't think of any good reason why not Billy, except some graphics can
    > be
    > > lighter (less kb) if they are 'flown in' as gifs.
    > >
    > > It really depends on the image. Photo's are nearly always better and
    > lighter
    > > as jpgs. Where as simple graphics are often lighter as gifs, but if you
    > have
    > > gradients and shadows you will probably be better going back to jpgs.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Peter R.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Tanks Murray! :)

    BR

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > : resulting tables/images to DW, and am using CSS to fly in all the
    > > > background
    > > > : images.
    > > > :
    > > > : Am I OK using JPEGs?
    > > > :
    > > > : BR
    > > > :
    > > > :
    > > > I can't think of any good reason why not Billy, except some graphics
    can
    > > be
    > > > lighter (less kb) if they are 'flown in' as gifs.
    > > >
    > > > It really depends on the image. Photo's are nearly always better and
    > > lighter
    > > > as jpgs. Where as simple graphics are often lighter as gifs, but if
    you
    > > have
    > > > gradients and shadows you will probably be better going back to jpgs.

    Bill Ray Guest

  6. #6

    What about PNG? IE supports it, NS6,7 does even NS4 (from 4.7 on that is).

    --
    Good luck!

    Coen Naninck
    _______________________________

    Please do not E-mail me with questions about Fireworks issues. Post them
    on the Forum instead. All the time I have left to spend in this Forum
    can't be contributed to also answering questions outside the Forum. It
    just takes too much time and it doesn't help the rest of the world.

    Thank you.

    Coen Naninck Guest

  7. #7

    Coen:

    Yes, but they only support 8 bit PNG files. The web is not really ready for
    general use of PNG graphics, as far as I know.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    Murray:

    You mean 8-bit PNG in animated CSS-P Layers? Or in general?
    If I drop a PNG doent (32-bit) into IE6 or NS4.7 it is displayed
    correctly. So do you mean that it is not supported in animation?

  9. #9

    Coen:

    I mean that it is not reliably supported on Macs and PCs. An 8 bit PNG will
    usually be. A PNG with alpha transparency or any other feature (I'm
    reaching here) will not be.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Murray:
    >
    > You mean 8-bit PNG in animated CSS-P Layers? Or in general?
    > If I drop a PNG doent (32-bit) into IE6 or NS4.7 it is displayed
    > correctly. So do you mean that it is not supported in animation?
    >
    > Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > > Coen:
    > >
    > > Yes, but they only support 8 bit PNG files. The web is not really ready
    for
    > > general use of PNG graphics, as far as I know.
    > >

    > --
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Coen Naninck
    >
    > Please do not E-mail me with questions about Fireworks issues. Post them
    > on the Forum instead. All the time I have left to spend in this Forum
    > can't be contributed to also answering questions outside the Forum. It
    > just takes too much time and it doesn't help the rest of the world.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Murray *TMM* Guest