Professional Web Applications Themes

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi All, Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early versions of Canvas)? The Appleworks drawing unit would be fine if only it had scaling. (Isn't scaling a fundamental requirement of drafting?!) Thanks, Rocky...

  1. #1

    Default Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    Hi All,

    Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
    available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
    versions of Canvas)?

    The Appleworks drawing unit would be fine if only it had scaling.

    (Isn't scaling a fundamental requirement of drafting?!)

    Thanks,

    Rocky
    Rocky Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    In <270720032058031495%nydhogg.NOSPAMcomcast.net> Rocky wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
    > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
    > versions of Canvas)?
    >
    Perhaps I don't understand "scaled" rulers. If you just want a ruler
    on the side of the page so you can see that your line is 1.8 cm long
    then there are plenty. I like Stone Design's Create as a reasonably
    priced drawing app. In fact I recommend the whole SD suite of apps.
    One thing that is really great is how responsive they are. I've asked
    for features and gotten them in less than 4 days. Try that with big
    housese. You're lucky to even get your request acknowledged. So, if
    the app doesn't have what you want, try asking the developer.


    Standard Disclaimer. I have no relation to Stone Design other than as a
    paying customer.
    Robert Love Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    In article <20030727215238019-0500library.airnews.net>, Robert Love
    <rbloveairmail.net> wrote:
    > In <270720032058031495%nydhogg.NOSPAMcomcast.net> Rocky wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
    > > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
    > > versions of Canvas)?
    > >
    >
    > Perhaps I don't understand "scaled" rulers. If you just want a ruler
    > on the side of the page so you can see that your line is 1.8 cm long
    > then there are plenty. I like Stone Design's Create as a reasonably
    > priced drawing app. In fact I recommend the whole SD suite of apps.
    > One thing that is really great is how responsive they are. I've asked
    > for features and gotten them in less than 4 days. Try that with big
    > housese. You're lucky to even get your request acknowledged. So, if
    > the app doesn't have what you want, try asking the developer.
    >

    By 'scaled' I mean like a map for example - 1 inch on the drawing (the
    map in this case) equals 10 miles on the ground. Or, for a house, 1
    inch on the drawing equals 10 feet on the house. See how basic this
    is? I still can't believe any drawing program could ever be written
    without this feature!

    Oh, and by reasonably priced, I mean less than $100.

    I did find 'Intaglio' by Purgatory Design, which seems to be pretty
    good, but still isn't as easy to use as MacDraw II or good old Canvas
    2.0.

    I'll look at Stone Design, thanks.

    Rocky
    Rocky Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    In <270720032058031495%nydhogg.NOSPAMcomcast.net> Rocky wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
    > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
    > versions of Canvas)?
    So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!
    [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt[/url]
    Subscribe to TidBITS. It's free and smart.
    matt neuburg Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    Rocky:
    > > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
    > > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
    > > versions of Canvas)?
    matt neuburg:
    > So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.
    *****

    It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
    into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva and Adobe
    Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
    latter two do not have this capability.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    In article <280720031551431863%net>, Davoud <net>
    wrote:
     [/ref]
    >
    > matt neuburg: 
    >
    > *****
    >
    > It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
    > into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva and Adobe
    > Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
    > latter two do not have this capability.
    >
    > Davoud[/ref]

    Freehand 10 certainly had it. It's hard to believe they would have taken
    it out of MX.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    "If you raise the ceiling 4 feet, move the fireplace from that wall
    to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect
    if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard."
    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    In article <telus.net>,
    Alan Baker <net> wrote:
     
    > >
    > > matt neuburg: 
    > >
    > > *****
    > >
    > > It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
    > > into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva and Adobe
    > > Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
    > > latter two do not have this capability.
    > >
    > > Davoud[/ref]
    >
    > Freehand 10 certainly had it. It's hard to believe they would have taken
    > it out of MX.[/ref]

    In Freehand MX, pull up View>Page Rulers>edit. Scaling is there!

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle
    Rod Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

    interesting for me, thanks
    Dasha Samojlova is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

Similar Threads

  1. Simple PHP page drawing content from Mysql
    By Mark R in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 12th, 08:57 AM
  2. New free drawing program for OpenStep, Mac OS X and GNUstep
    By William F. Adams in forum Macromedia Freehand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 15th, 07:59 PM
  3. extremely simple newbie drawing ?
    By nanca webforumsuser@macromedia.com in forum Macromedia Flash Sitedesign
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 8th, 01:47 PM
  4. need help developing a simple drawing program
    By Yammyclause webforumsuser@macromedia.com in forum Macromedia Flash Sitedesign
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 7th, 04:19 PM
  5. drawing a SIMPLE comet
    By Priscila in forum Macromedia Fireworks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 9th, 05:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139