Professional Web Applications Themes

Simple Informix Database HA on Solaris - Sun Solaris

We have two Informix Dynamic Server 9.21 systems running on Solaris 9 upon which a clustering database proposed. Though the content synchronization between seems easier to implement, the failover mechanism remains rather hard to choose. Sun offers Cluster 3.0 software purpose requiring shared diskraid and special software packages which I think a small project not need. Does anyone know certain alternatives would help to do VRRP like of HA? Say, two servers would be assigned into one active and one standby. Each database server with two NICs, a primary and a backup. The primaries are both bundled with the VIP ...

  1. #1

    Default Simple Informix Database HA on Solaris

    We have two Informix Dynamic Server 9.21 systems running on Solaris 9
    upon which a clustering database proposed. Though the content
    synchronization between seems easier to implement, the failover
    mechanism remains rather hard to choose.

    Sun offers Cluster 3.0 software purpose requiring shared diskraid and
    special software packages which I think a small project not need. Does
    anyone know certain alternatives would help to do VRRP like of HA?
    Say, two servers would be assigned into one active and one standby.
    Each database server with two NICs, a primary and a backup. The
    primaries are both bundled with the VIP but the standby server with
    the corresponding NIC disabled until the link to primary NIC on active
    server die out. Both use the backup NIC to monitor each other's
    health?
    Sting Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Simple Informix Database HA on Solaris

    com (Sting) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    You certainly can implement such "hot standby" solution.
    I used to install these "clusters" consisting of two symmetrical nodes
    sharing the disk space; even the daisy-chained SCSI sort of works,
    until one of two machines stays in "ok" prompt.

    Sure, it's a cheap dirty hack, but it worked for me.

    Here's a more detailed description:
    http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/aryzhov/Cluster.txt
    aryzhov Guest

  3. #3

    "Sting" <com> wrote in message

    We do that.

    We have two machines, primary and standby. Each machine has a unique IP and
    we have a shared IP allocated for them. There are two NICs in each machine,
    one is the "public" NIC, the other is a dedicated crossover to provide a
    private backchannel.

    The standby monitors the primary on both NICs, the public and private
    networks. If it detects an issue on the public network, it seizes control by
    plumbing the shared IP. If the monitor can get through to the other machine
    over the backchannel, it tries to tell the primary to unplumb the shared IP.
    This is to handle the potential case where the machine is really alive, but
    it's public network is down (bad NIC, bad cable, who knows). The problem on
    the public network may also be intermittent so if it suddenly comes
    available, we want to make sure that there isn't a conflict with two
    machines trying the same IP.

    Neither machine "comes up automatically", which means neither one
    automatically plumbs the shared IP. So, if someone simply power cycles the
    primary, the secondary will kick in, and when the primary comes up it won't
    try and use the shared IP until we start the service by hand.

    If power is lost to both machines, then the systems will start, but the
    particular service won't until someone starts it. This was mostly to
    simplify the cheap cluster without having nasty race conditions etc. The
    machines are co-located, with redundant power on separate circuits, etc.
    etc.

    So, this means that the primary really doesn't know anything about the
    standby machine, they don't "fight" over each other or anything. If the
    primary fails and switchover occurs, we have to address the problem, fix the
    primary, and restart the services manually to reset the cluster.

    Simple, but it seems to work.

    I'm open to other options. The mind can just reel when thinking how to
    handle the strange scenarios that can occur.

    Regards,

    Will Hartung
    (com)

    Will Guest

  4. #4

    Sting wrote:

    Check INFORMIX Enterprise tion (has own manual) or even HDR
    in the admin guide.

    Also consider upgrading to V9.40.*C2 with UC3 coming soon now.

    Read about the sqlhost file and the exaples using '*' in the address
    field.

    Why have one machine eating power doing nothing when you always
    can use it (at least) as a readonly server, and thus distributing all
    queries, which don't ask for update or insert?

    With clustering you waste the power of one machine ....

    dic_k
    --
    Richard Kofler
    SOLID STATE EDV