Professional Web Applications Themes

Simple Newbie Q: Don't want small page printin centered on big page. - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I am printing instrument approach plates (you don't really care about these) like: <http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0405/05158VGA.PDF> These are half-sheet (pilot's kneeboard, actually) size, approx 5.5 x 8.5 and I have to cut them down on a paper cutter after printing. When I print them (Acrobat 6.0 to HP5/Postscript from inside my browser) there does not seem to be a way for them to be anywhere but in the center of the page. This makes it twice as hard to cut them out. Is there some way to coax Acrobat to put them in the upper left hand corner of the 8.5 x ...

  1. #1

    Default Simple Newbie Q: Don't want small page printin centered on big page.

    I am printing instrument approach plates (you don't really care about these) like: <http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0405/05158VGA.PDF>

    These are half-sheet (pilot's kneeboard, actually) size, approx 5.5 x 8.5 and I have to cut them down on a paper cutter after printing. When I print them (Acrobat 6.0 to HP5/Postscript from inside my browser) there does not seem to be a way for them to be anywhere but in the center of the page. This makes it twice as hard to cut them out. Is there some way to coax Acrobat to put them in the upper left hand corner of the 8.5 x 11" sheet?

    Tia,
    Geo. Anderson
    geo._anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    There isn't a way to position the page on your printed page using Acrobat alone. You could tile the PDF page you would have, say 2 copies, per page thus meaning that you would have to cut even fewer times.

    Your predicament does nothing for my fear of flying! :)
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    When I deselect "Auto-rotate and Center" in the Print dialog box, that piece prints in the upper left hand corner of my page.
    kay_anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Kay, thanks. That doesn't work for me with the Laserjet 5, unfortunately. I mucked around in the printer settings, too, and could find nothing to help with the problem. My only workaround so far is to tell the printer setup to print on "statement" size paper but then I have to cut the paper ahead of time and manual feed it. The cutting is no problem but the manual feed is a pain.

    Dorian, wouldn't you rather have your pilot using the most current charts? It does make things safer. :-) Actually I subscribe to about $250/year of charts for my usual flight area but once in a while need some for an airport that is not in my subscription area. Hence the downloads.

    Geo.
    geo._anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Well, yes a pilot who has up to date charts is good. One who hasn't had a drink in the 24 hours leading up to the flight is also good but they are harder to find :) (I'm talking comercial flights here!)

    Perhaps I am overlooking something, but is it not possible to cut the paper first and then set it up as a custom paper size for your printer so the page size and paper size match?
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Actually the regs say 8 hours for private pilots anyway, but I think the airlines typically have 24 hour bottle-to-throttle regs. Airline travel is statistically many times safer than the drive to the airport.

    Yes, cutting the paper ahead of time is a do-able workaround but then I either have to manually feed or maybe rearrange the standard paper drawer. Never tried the paper drawer but either way is more hassle than just hitting "Print" and making two cuts after the pages have printed. I wish I knew why Kay's printer setup works and mine doesn't.
    geo._anderson@adobeforums.com Guest