Or, you can check for the checkbox's existence and not use cfparam: Matt -- Matt Woodward Team Macromedia - ColdFusion [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => mpwoodward *TMM* [ip] => mpwoodward@gmai [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 15 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Simple Newbie question - Coldfusion - Getting Started

Simple Newbie question - Coldfusion - Getting Started

I am comtemplating learning flash, but since I will NEVER let ms windows near my harddrive again, I wanted to know if there is a way to write flash under Linux? Any suggestions??? Jeremy...

  1. #1

    Default simple newbie question

    I am comtemplating learning flash, but since I will NEVER let ms windows
    near my harddrive again, I wanted to know if there is a way to write flash
    under Linux? Any suggestions???

    Jeremy
    jeremy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: simple newbie question

    I use FreeBSD... I wish I could develop Flash there... but that is not an
    option.

    Don't know about Linux.

    "jeremy" <JBSchoenhaarschoenhaar.com> wrote in message
    news:pan.2004.05.13.23.03.06.973434schoenhaar.com ...
    > I am comtemplating learning flash, but since I will NEVER let ms windows
    > near my harddrive again, I wanted to know if there is a way to write flash
    > under Linux? Any suggestions???
    >
    > Jeremy

    Sean Berry Guest

  3. #3

    You should be able to run Windows Apps under a Windows emulator, no? I know
    you don't want it anywhere near your hard drive, but the alternative doesn't
    look promising.

    M the Mac user

    "Sean Berry" <sean_berrycox.net> wrote in message
    > I use FreeBSD... I wish I could develop Flash there... but that is not an
    > option.
    >
    > Don't know about Linux.
    >

    > "jeremy" <JBSchoenhaarschoenhaar.com> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2004.05.13.23.03.06.973434schoenhaar.com ...
    > > I am comtemplating learning flash, but since I will NEVER let ms windows
    > > near my harddrive again, I wanted to know if there is a way to write
    flash
    > > under Linux? Any suggestions???
    > >
    > > Jeremy

    Matt Cushing Guest

  4. #4

    Sean Berry wrote:
    > I use FreeBSD... I wish I could develop Flash there... but that is not an
    > option.
    >
    > Don't know about Linux.
    >

    > "jeremy" <JBSchoenhaarschoenhaar.com> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2004.05.13.23.03.06.973434schoenhaar.com ...
    >
    >>I am comtemplating learning flash, but since I will NEVER let ms windows
    >>near my harddrive again, I wanted to know if there is a way to write flash
    >>under Linux? Any suggestions???
    >>
    >>Jeremy

    HI did you get an answer to your query - I'd like to create flash like
    sites on Linux but don't think it can be done. If you got any info I'd
    appreciate it

    Regards

    Owen.
    Owen Guest

  5. #5

    I have got the code working to send the contents of a form to an email address
    I am just having a hard time formatting the email properly. It keeps putting
    all the information in one long continuous sentence with no line breaks. Here
    is the code: <cfmail to='johndoeemail.com' from='#Form.email#'
    server='mail.emailserver.com' subject='Request for Service'>
    #Form.CustomerName# has sent you an email, below is what they sent. Account
    Email:#Form.Email#<br> Body:#Form.ServiceCallRequest# and the email ends up
    looking like this: John Doe has sent you an email, below is what they sent.
    Email:houstonhbip.com<br> Body:Second three One long line instead of
    something like this: John Doe has sent you an email, below is what they sent:
    ID: 13548 Name: John Doe Address: 5487 Mariposa Dr. Eamil: [email]JohnDoemail.com[/email] So
    what code do I need to put in the create a line break for a text email? (Man I
    know this is going to make me feel stupid but I am not getting it to work.
    Thanks

    htown Guest

  6. #6

    If you want to use <br />, your cfmail line needs to be:

    <cfmail to='johndoeemail.com' from='#Form.email#' type='html'
    server='mail.emailserver.com' subject='Request for Service'>

    Doug
    doug777 Guest

  7. #7

    So is using the type='html' make the email HTML format so that it will see the <br/> as code instead of regualr text?

    Is so, how do you crete a line break if you were to send a text message?

    Cheers
    htown Guest

  8. #8

    > So is using the type='html' make the email HTML format so that it will see the <br/> as code instead of regualr text?

    That's right.
    > Is so, how do you crete a line break if you were to send a text message?
    You can do it like this:

    <cfset msgbody = "#Form.CustomerName# has sent you an email, below is
    what they sent."&chr(10)&chr(13)&"Account ID:
    #Form.AccountID#"&chr(10)&chr(13)&"Name:
    #Form.CustomerName#"&chr(10)&chr(13)&"Address:
    #Form.Address#"&chr(10)&chr(13)&"Email:
    #Form.Email#"&chr(10)&chr(13)&"Body: #Form.ServiceCallRequest#">

    <cfmail to='johndoeemail.com' from='#Form.email#'
    server='mail.emailserver.com' subject='Request for Service'>
    #msgbody#
    </cfmail>

    Doug
    doug777 Guest

  9. #9

    htown wrote:
    > So is using the type='html' make the email HTML format so that it will see the <br/> as code instead of regualr text?
    >
    > Is so, how do you crete a line break if you were to send a text message?
    >
    > Cheers
    Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but in an HTML
    create line breaks. In a text email, you'd just hit "enter" once (the
    line breaks. If you're sending a text email the way it looks on your
    screen will be (for the most part) the way it looks to the user, line
    breaks and all.

    Hope that helps,
    Matt

    --
    Matt Woodward
    Team Macromedia - ColdFusion
    mpwoodward *TMM* Guest

  10. #10

    Matt, That is exactly the answer I was looking for but when I do format the
    text exactly like I want it (inside the cfmail tag) the email that I receive
    displays the data with no line breaks. That is why i thought I was missing
    something. I would like the customers to receive basic text email and not an
    HTML formatted email. To clarifiy, here is the code I am using in the
    <cfmail>: <cfmail to='houstonhbip.com' from='#Form.email#'
    server='mail.hbip.com' subject='Request for Service' type='html'>
    #Form.CustomerName# has sent you an email, below is what they sent. Account
    ID:#Form.AccountID# Name:#Form.CustomerName# Address:#Form.Address#
    Email:#Form.Email# Body:#Form.ServiceCallRequest# </cfmail> this is the body
    of the email that I get from it: John Doe has sent you an email, below is what
    they sent.Account ID:123546NameJOhn Doe Address1245 Somewhere St.
    Email:JohnDoeemail.com Body:This is the body (All in one long string with no
    line breaks) Do I need to use the <cfset> tag as suggested by Doug? Cheers

    htown Guest

  11. #11

    htown wrote:
    > Matt, That is exactly the answer I was looking for but when I do format the
    > text exactly like I want it (inside the cfmail tag) the email that I receive
    > displays the data with no line breaks. That is why i thought I was missing
    > something. I would like the customers to receive basic text email and not an
    > HTML formatted email. To clarifiy, here is the code I am using in the
    > <cfmail>: <cfmail to='houstonhbip.com' from='#Form.email#'
    > server='mail.hbip.com' subject='Request for Service' type='html'>
    > #Form.CustomerName# has sent you an email, below is what they sent. Account
    > ID:#Form.AccountID# Name:#Form.CustomerName# Address:#Form.Address#
    > Email:#Form.Email# Body:#Form.ServiceCallRequest# </cfmail> this is the body
    > of the email that I get from it: John Doe has sent you an email, below is what
    > they sent.Account ID:123546NameJOhn Doe Address1245 Somewhere St.
    > Email:JohnDoeemail.com Body:This is the body (All in one long string with no
    > line breaks) Do I need to use the <cfset> tag as suggested by Doug? Cheers

    You need to take out type="html".

    Matt

  12. #12

    My fault, that was a typo that I had left in there from a cut and paste. The original never had type='html' in there and I was still getting the email with no line breaks.
    htown Guest

  13. #13

    htown wrote:
    > My fault, that was a typo that I had left in there from a cut and paste. The original never had type='html' in there and I was still getting the email with no line breaks.
    Sorry, I might have gotten out of synch with this thread at this point.
    Did you resolve your problem? Have you tried viewing the email in
    different clients to make sure it's not just a specific client that's
    doing something odd? I've literally never seen this behavior with plain
    text emails--in my experience it respects the line breaks you put within
    the cfmail block, so honestly I'm not sure what could be causing this.

    Matt

  14. #14

    Well, I have actually decided to go just with the HTML and take my chances. I
    am tired of messing with it and I will try to tackel it later. This is already
    taking up way to much f my time. I do have another question though. I have a
    series of check boxes on a form and if you do not click one then cfmail thrown
    an error. I have run into this before and I forgot how to code CF to handle
    nulls so it will not throw the error. Help so I can finish this project.
    Thanks.

    htown Guest

  15. #15

    htown wrote:
    > Well, I have actually decided to go just with the HTML and take my chances. I
    > am tired of messing with it and I will try to tackel it later. This is already
    > taking up way to much f my time. I do have another question though. I have a
    > series of check boxes on a form and if you do not click one then cfmail thrown
    > an error. I have run into this before and I forgot how to code CF to handle
    > nulls so it will not throw the error. Help so I can finish this project.
    > Thanks.

    If I get what you're saying, if a checkbox isn't checked on the form
    then it won't come through to the form processing page at all; it's not
    like a blank text input that will come through to the processing page
    either way. Simplest way to deal with it is to cfparam everything at
    the top of the processing page:
    <cfparam name="form.myCheckbox" type="string" default="" />

    Then later you can check it this way:
    <cfif form.myCheckbox NEQ "">
    <!--- do stuff to handle the fact that the checkbox was checked --->
    </cfif>

    Or, you can check for the checkbox's existence and not use cfparam:
    <cfif StructKeyExists(form, "myCheckbox")>

  16. #16

    Did you ever find an answer to the text formatting problem? I'm experiencing the same thing, line breaks not being recognized, now that I just upgraded to CF 7. I didn't have this problem in CF 4.5.
    drmaves Guest

  17. #17

    No I didn't. I gave up. I just didnt have to the time to keep up with it. My
    customer is the only one getting the form submission and he has HTML
    capabilities in his email so no worries there. Good Luck.

    htown Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks, I'll repost it to see if I can get an answer.
    drmaves Guest