Professional Web Applications Themes

Simple question about the grid - Why is it slanted - How to fix ? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello All; I was working fine in Illustrator for quite a while. Then suddenly, one time when I started it up, the Grid seemed to be messed up (Ie. At a slant rather than vertical and horizontal as I am used to). I let this go for quite a while because this didn't cause a problem until today. Now I find when I want to draw a square box, I can only draw one that follows the lines which are now slanted. I read the manual and it gives instructions on making my own grids, and on configuring the colors ...

  1. #1

    Default Simple question about the grid - Why is it slanted - How to fix ?

    Hello All;
    I was working fine in Illustrator for quite a while. Then suddenly, one time when I started it up, the Grid seemed to be messed up (Ie. At a slant rather than vertical and horizontal as I am used to). I let this go for quite a while because this didn't cause a problem until today. Now I find when I want to draw a square box, I can only draw one that follows the lines which are now slanted.

    I read the manual and it gives instructions on making my own grids, and on configuring the colors and spacing of the (snap-to) grid but I can not find anywhere where it tells me how to adjust the angle of the grid. This seems useful like for perspective drawing and probably lots of other things but right now, I can't finish my work until I get this grid vertical and horizonal.

    Can someone tell me how to make the grid vertical/horizontal or how to reset it to the way it was when I first installed Illustrator ?

    Thanks much.

    Tim
    Tim_Dedula@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    A couple of books under one side of your monitor will also fix it.
    Bert Guest

  3. #3

    ...I am not sure why uninstalling AI and then reinstallling it didn't
    reset my constrain angle to 0, but it didn't.

    Because Aiprefs are not written during installation nor overwritten during reinstallation. An uninstall-reinstall merely picks up your AI settings as they last existed unless you delete Aiprefs yourself (cf. FAQ #2).

    Always try deleting Aiprefs before resorting to a complete reinstall.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Always try deleting Aiprefs before resorting to a complete reinstall.

    Which would have been another solution in this case. If you did not actually (though obviously inadvertently) change the angle it must have been an AIPrefs corruption, in which case there may be other strangenesses lurking.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest