Professional Web Applications Themes

Site management & switching from Frontpage 2002? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am planning on switching from FP to DW, and have bought MX. I'm having a few problems with the interface, and in particular with the site management portion of DW. One site I routinely tend has upwards of 600 pages, and it's been so hard to change that I've all but given up for the moment. In the first place, teh DW addin for "cleaning" the FP code simply will not work on a site this large. I have no doubt that the HTML is cruddy, but every time I try to run the clean code thingie the whole ...

  1. #1

    Default Site management & switching from Frontpage 2002?

    I am planning on switching from FP to DW, and have bought MX. I'm having a
    few problems with the interface, and in particular with the site management
    portion of DW. One site I routinely tend has upwards of 600 pages, and it's
    been so hard to change that I've all but given up for the moment. In the
    first place, teh DW addin for "cleaning" the FP code simply will not work on
    a site this large. I have no doubt that the HTML is cruddy, but every time I
    try to run the clean code thingie the whole system locks up after a very
    short period and I have to get out and reboot (i'm using win XP home).

    Next I don't really find an industrail strength management routine in DW--I
    assume it's there, yes? Could someone give me a pointer as to where?

    I gather that if I can get the code cleaned the pages might be reduced in
    size by as much as 30% -- have others found this to be the case? I would
    dearly love to have the code be right and have the whole site take up a lot
    less room, and operate faster than it does.

    I have to say that the switch is complicated by the DW interface, which,
    frankly, seems slightly opaque and unintuitive, to me, but perhaps that's
    only because I'm used to something else. My pages are repetitive (it's a
    magazine, and the format is constant, with the content changing), and DW
    seems perhaps a little less well suited to this type of site, and more
    suited to a handmade type of site with fewer pages--is this a correct
    assessment of the DW program? Or do you find it just as well suited to
    larger, more repetitive sites?

    Finally, is there anyplace here for FP converts, where tips might be
    exchanged and woes might be shared?

    Thanks all--

    B. Leg

    Bum Leg Guest

  2. #2

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:53:39 -0500, "Bum Leg" <BumLeg21aol.com>
    wrote:
    >I am planning on switching from FP to DW, and have bought MX. I'm having a
    >few problems with the interface, and in particular with the site management
    >portion of DW. One site I routinely tend has upwards of 600 pages, and it's
    >been so hard to change that I've all but given up for the moment. In the
    >first place, teh DW addin for "cleaning" the FP code simply will not work on
    >a site this large. I have no doubt that the HTML is cruddy, but every time I
    >try to run the clean code thingie the whole system locks up after a very
    >short period and I have to get out and reboot (i'm using win XP home).
    >
    >Next I don't really find an industrail strength management routine in DW--I
    >assume it's there, yes? Could someone give me a pointer as to where?
    >
    >I gather that if I can get the code cleaned the pages might be reduced in
    >size by as much as 30% -- have others found this to be the case? I would
    >dearly love to have the code be right and have the whole site take up a lot
    >less room, and operate faster than it does.
    >
    >I have to say that the switch is complicated by the DW interface, which,
    >frankly, seems slightly opaque and unintuitive, to me, but perhaps that's
    >only because I'm used to something else. My pages are repetitive (it's a
    >magazine, and the format is constant, with the content changing), and DW
    >seems perhaps a little less well suited to this type of site, and more
    >suited to a handmade type of site with fewer pages--is this a correct
    >assessment of the DW program? Or do you find it just as well suited to
    >larger, more repetitive sites?
    >
    >Finally, is there anyplace here for FP converts, where tips might be
    >exchanged and woes might be shared?
    >
    >Thanks all--
    >
    >B. Leg

    A lot of us here have used FP. (Don't shout it too loud, I don't want
    the rest of the group to hear, but, just between you and I, I
    sometimes train people in how to use FP. The National Assembly for
    Wales often ask me to do this. If they're paying, I'll do it). You'll
    get used to the DW interface, honestly. You'll grow to love the
    Property Inspector. Fireworks and Flash also have a Property
    Inspector, in theit latest version, so that cuts the learning curve
    down for those programs.

    w3c recommend a routine called html tidy. I'm sure there's a DW
    extension version, but I can't for the life of me find it.

    Your repetitive pages would be best set up as a template in
    Dreamweaver. Don't redo pages you've already done. but make a template
    out of pne of them, so that new pages will be made to the same format.

    You should be OK on this ng to ask specific questions. We're always
    pleased to help someone make the transition from FP to DW as painless
    as possible.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Taylor Guest