Professional Web Applications Themes

Site Panel - Abnormal Expand/Collapse - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I've always had the same folder problem and the Dreamweaver 4 format makes no difference. It is not a trouble with panels, it is a problem with folders (directories). For example: Site + A + B + C I might click on the + for B and suddenly Site - A aa ab - B ba bb bc + C So why did A pop open also? If it was only A then perhaps I clicked in the wrong place but multiple folders pop open for one click. Since I have many folders/files, it is hard to navigate when everything ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Site Panel - Abnormal Expand/Collapse

    I've always had the same folder problem and the Dreamweaver 4 format makes no difference. It is not a trouble with panels, it is a problem with folders (directories).

    For example:
    Site
    + A
    + B
    + C

    I might click on the + for B and suddenly

    Site
    - A
    aa
    ab
    - B
    ba
    bb
    bc
    + C

    So why did A pop open also? If it was only A then perhaps I clicked in the wrong place but multiple folders pop open for one click. Since I have many folders/files, it is hard to navigate when everything starts popping open. (When my A pops open, B isn't even on the screen anymore, I have to scroll down to find it). Usually I do a little dance of opening/closing folders until I end up with only the one I want. So typically, it takes a half dozen clicks to achieve only the B folder open.

    Dana Johnson webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    "Dana Johnson" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I've always had the same folder problem and the Dreamweaver 4 format makes no difference. It is not a trouble with panels, it is a problem with folders (directories).
    >
    > For example:
    > Site
    > + A
    > + B
    > + C
    >
    > I might click on the + for B and suddenly
    >
    > Site
    > - A
    > aa
    > ab
    > - B
    > ba
    > bb
    > bc
    > + C
    >
    > So why did A pop open also? If it was only A then perhaps I clicked in the wrong place but multiple folders pop open for one click. Since I have many folders/files, it is hard to navigate when everything starts popping open. (When my A pops open, B isn't even on the screen anymore, I have to scroll down to find it). Usually I do a little dance of opening/closing folders until I end up with only the one I want. So typically, it takes a half dozen clicks to achieve only the B folder open.

    Hello Dana,

    Im not sure if you are speaking of remote, local, or both types of folders.

    However, if you are speaking about remote folders there is an explanation.

    On some servers they have folders that are aliased. What does this
    mean. Well in the root directory of your site you might have a folder
    called ht_docs, or html, or www. Within that folder you may have a
    folder called cgi-bin. From the ftp server it may appear that cgi-bin
    is actually a folder within the www dir. However, this does not need to
    be the case.

    Some servers are setup like this as far as a folder structure goes.

    Base_Dir

    user_home_dir
    notes_dir
    logs-dir

    Within the user_home_dir there are a series of directories like...

    www
    cgi-bin
    logs
    stats

    And within the www directory

    cgi-bin
    images
    other_stuff

    So what does all this mean. Well there may only be one directory called
    cgi-bin on the server. Howevever, it appears in two places. Both in
    the www directory and also in the user home directory. The folder in
    reality only exists once but the server shows the ftp software two
    different locations.

    Some servers can be configured in this manner. If you open one cgi-bin
    in the www directory. I often times will also open the cgi-bin diretory
    in the userhome dir. Remember... its the same directory... one is just
    an alias of the other. Many times cgi directories are placed above the
    www directory for security reasons, however an alias of that directory
    is placed within the www directory so that scripts can be called in a
    manner like [url]www.example.com/cgi-bin/example.cgi[/url]

    The structure of this link shows the cgi-bin under the www directory,
    when in reality it could be in a completely different location.

    This is just one possibly reason for the problem you are experiencing.

    Todd Guest

  3. #3

    I can actually confirm that I also definately have this issue still even in dreamweaver CS4 as well, and it has been present in past revisions for us such as CS3 from memory too. It most certainly occurs working with local folders, and no connection active to the remote server. All of a sudden they will get a mind of their own, and much like your example I can click on folder C after shrinking folder A, and folder then A will pop open as well, and so begins the dance of trying to shrink and display folders till I see only what I need. Like trying to complete a rubix cube.

    I have tried various things such as enabling and disabling aspects like cloaking, version control, in the site settings, but they none ever seem to make a difference. It's been as a persistent issue between our various Windows platforms over time as well, so doesn't appear to be confined to just a bug within a particular version of Windows.
    G Wright Guest