Professional Web Applications Themes

Skewed graphic w/drop shadow - Macromedia Fireworks

Guy's, Bare with me as I try to explain what I need to figure out. I'm trying to manipulate a drop-shadow independently of the object. In this case, the object is distorted to look like it is going off in the distance. I would like to put a shadow behind it at a 90 degree angle, not right be hind it as it comes straight from the effects settings. I've done this before in Photshop, where you make a new layer for the shadow and skew/distort it independently from the object. But I'm a new FW MX user, and I'm ...

  1. #1

    Default Skewed graphic w/drop shadow

    Guy's,

    Bare with me as I try to explain what I need to figure out. I'm trying to manipulate a drop-shadow independently of the object. In this case, the object is distorted to look like it is going off in the distance. I would like to put a shadow behind it at a 90 degree angle, not right be hind it as it comes straight from the effects settings.

    I've done this before in Photshop, where you make a new layer for the shadow and skew/distort it independently from the object. But I'm a new FW MX user, and I'm feeling a little dense because I can't figure out. Any help would be greatly apprecciated.

    GS

    GS
    Web Developer
    -------------------------------
    The Dallas Cowboy's will rise again, albeit slowly.
    Glenn_Stern webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Skewed graphic w/drop shadow

    In that case, you'd simply create the shape you want and fill it with a
    semitransparent fill.

    HTH;

    Amy

    "Glenn_Stern" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Guy's,
    >
    > Bare with me as I try to explain what I need to figure out. I'm trying to
    manipulate a drop-shadow independently of the object. In this case, the
    object is distorted to look like it is going off in the distance. I would
    like to put a shadow behind it at a 90 degree angle, not right be hind it as
    it comes straight from the effects settings.

    > I've done this before in Photshop, where you make a new layer for the
    shadow and skew/distort it independently from the object. But I'm a new FW
    MX user, and I'm feeling a little dense because I can't figure out. Any help
    would be greatly apprecciated.

    > GS
    >
    > GS
    > Web Developer
    > -------------------------------
    > The Dallas Cowboy's will rise again, albeit slowly.

    Amy Blankenship Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I never thought of it like that.

    GS
    Web Developer
    -------------------------------

  4. #4

    Here's my attempt at a perspective shadow -

    [url]http://www.richiebee.ca/public/pershd.png[/url]

    You should be able to drag this into Fireworks to see how its done...

    Basically a clone of the original shape, skewed, with a feathered edge and a
    black fill that moves to transparent...

    I think you can do a more accurate job as a bitmap, but this technique suits
    most purposes.

    Rich

    --
    Richard Blenkinsopp
    [url]www.richiebee.ca[/url]
    "Glenn_Stern" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Guy's,
    >
    > Bare with me as I try to explain what I need to figure out. I'm trying to
    manipulate a drop-shadow independently of the object. In this case, the
    object is distorted to look like it is going off in the distance. I would
    like to put a shadow behind it at a 90 degree angle, not right be hind it as
    it comes straight from the effects settings.

    > I've done this before in Photshop, where you make a new layer for the
    shadow and skew/distort it independently from the object. But I'm a new FW
    MX user, and I'm feeling a little dense because I can't figure out. Any help
    would be greatly apprecciated.

    > GS
    >
    > GS
    > Web Developer
    > The Dallas Cowboy's will rise again, albeit slowly.

    Richie Bee Guest