Professional Web Applications Themes

skip solaris 8? - Sun Solaris

I'm currently running Solaris 7 and looking to upgrade now that 9 has become available for download. Would it be wise to go to 9 and skip 8 for an Ultra 2 300mhz box? Do the later releases include bloat that will cause the O/S to run slower on older hardware? Can I choose to not install the Gnome crap? Thanks in advance for any answers. net -- I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and ...

  1. #1

    Default skip solaris 8?

    --
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear...
    is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies

    - Vince Lombardi
    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: skip solaris 8?

    I don't see any objections skipping Solaris 8.....
    If your memory is sufficient (Solaris 7 has min. of 32 Meg; Solaris 8,9 have
    min. of 64 Meg) it should be no problemo.

    Regards,
    Eddie

    "Scott Micciche" <net> wrote in message
    become available for download. Would it be wise to go to 9 and skip 8 for
    an Ultra 2 300mhz box? Do the later releases include bloat that will cause
    the O/S to run slower on older hardware? Can I choose to not install the
    Gnome crap? Thanks in advance for any answers.
    all he holds dear...

    Eddie Guest

  3. #3

    Scott Micciche <net> wrote:

    Yes

    No

    Yes

    Scott.
    Scott Guest

  4. #4

    Scott Micciche wrote:

    Yes. This is always the case with Solaris, except perhaps for the first shortish
    while after a new release you should always aim to upgrade to the latest and
    greatest. For example, the Solaris 9 development gate was cloned from
    the Solaris 8 development gate right towards the end of the original
    Solaris 8 release cycle. Thereafter, with Solaris 9 now being the
    devleopment release, all bugs/rfes/projects target Solaris 9 primarily
    and only selected ones go back to Solaris 8 (some new features will
    appear in update releases and the patches that go with them; bugs
    get fixed in Solaris 8 on individual merits - must fix, security fixes,
    bugs hurting customers etc. In short, before all that long and
    certainly by the end of it's development cycle Solaris 9 has
    way more features, way more bugfixes etc than Solaris 8 ever will.

    There are zillions of regression tests that each offical build must pass before
    the final project can ship. Obviously they can't cover everything. One of the
    tests was to test usability on older hardware (as long as the release supports
    it, obviously). There will be cases where something goes slower on a
    later release, usually because some subsystem was rewritten and made
    everything go much faster except for one or two pathalogical or
    unanticipated cases. Solaris 9 has been out long enough now that
    you'd be more than unlucky to find a new one of these.

    Yes.

    Gavin

    Gavin Guest

  6. #6

    Gavin Maltby wrote:

    > Yes. This is always the case with Solaris, except perhaps for the
    > first shortish
    > while after a new release you should always aim to upgrade to the
    > latest and
    > greatest. For example, the Solaris 9 development gate was cloned from
    > the Solaris 8 development gate right towards the end of the original
    > Solaris 8 release cycle. Thereafter, with Solaris 9 now being the
    > devleopment release, all bugs/rfes/projects target Solaris 9 primarily
    > and only selected ones go back to Solaris 8 (some new features will
    > appear in update releases and the patches that go with them; bugs
    > get fixed in Solaris 8 on individual merits - must fix, security fixes,
    > bugs hurting customers etc. In short, before all that long and
    > certainly by the end of it's development cycle Solaris 9 has
    > way more features, way more bugfixes etc than Solaris 8 ever will.
    >

    >[/ref]
    So why doesn't Solaris 9 support Blade 1500 ?? Or more generally, why
    doesn't platform support go primarily into the current release?

    Pete.

    Peter Guest

  7. #7

    Peter Bunclark wrote:

    > So why doesn't Solaris 9 support Blade 1500 ?? Or more generally, why
    > doesn't platform support go primarily into the current release?[/ref]

    There is a "release train" for each OS version, and features (including
    h.w support) have to catch a suitable train. They're not in sync for
    all releases (no need, and test resources typically keep them out of
    sync deliberately). Stuff always goes into the development release
    first, and then is taken back to existing releases as schedules and
    demand allows.

    Gavin

    Gavin Guest

  8. #8

    Gavin Maltby <com> wrote:

    > There is a "release train" for each OS version, and features (including
    > h.w support) have to catch a suitable train. They're not in sync for
    > all releases (no need, and test resources typically keep them out of
    > sync deliberately). Stuff always goes into the development release
    > first, and then is taken back to existing releases as schedules and
    > demand allows.[/ref]

    If that is the answer to missing Solaris 9 support for the Blade 1500,
    I still don't understand it. Would it mean that there was more demand
    (by whom ?) for Blade 1500 support in Solaris 8 than in Solaris 9 ?

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute for Software Science | Univ. of Vienna
    Martin Guest

  9. #9

    In article <blblnu$946$uk.sun.com>,
    Gavin Maltby <com> writes:
    >> So why doesn't Solaris 9 support Blade 1500 ?? Or more generally, why
    >> doesn't platform support go primarily into the current release?[/ref]
    >
    > There is a "release train" for each OS version, and features (including
    > h.w support) have to catch a suitable train. They're not in sync for
    > all releases (no need, and test resources typically keep them out of
    > sync deliberately). Stuff always goes into the development release
    > first, and then is taken back to existing releases as schedules and
    > demand allows.[/ref]

    Sure - but a lag of almost a year between 8 and 9? I can understand
    that SB1500 support might just have missed the train for S9 04/03, but I
    can't see any justification for delaying it until 04/04 (or whatever
    the official designation will be).

    All the hard work has been done - both because S8 was done 6 months
    ago, and most of the other things that needed doing have been done for
    the other US-IIIi boxes anyway.

    --
    -Peter Tribble
    HGMP Computing Services

  10. #10

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Peter C. Tribble wrote:

    My guess would be that there hasn't been enough time for testing
    on S9, although that doesn't explain the LENGTH of the gap.
    Perhaps the majority of the SB 1500 beta testers were running S8?

    Maybe this is just an example of "Unsupported" not necessarily
    meaning "Doesn't work".

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  11. #11

    Martin Paul <univie.ac.at> wrote in message news:<3f797173$0$16030$univie.ac.at>...

    Easy. Blade 1500 hardware was probably just not released in time for
    integration/testing for Solaris 9 FCS.

    I would have *no* problem believing this (though it's only loosely
    related to the original question). A lot of Blade 1500 owners are
    running commercial IC design automation SW (Cadence, Synopsys, Mentor,
    Magma) and official Solaris 9 support is not wide-spread among that
    crowd.

    -Jay-
    Jay Guest

  12. #12

    Rich Teer wrote:

    >My guess would be that there hasn't been enough time for testing
    >on S9, although that doesn't explain the LENGTH of the gap.
    >Perhaps the majority of the SB 1500 beta testers were running S8?
    >
    >Maybe this is just an example of "Unsupported" not necessarily
    >meaning "Doesn't work".
    >

    >[/ref]
    It means there are no platform links and it fails very early in the boot.

    Pete.

    Peter Guest

  13. #13

    Jay Lessert wrote:

    >Easy. Blade 1500 hardware was probably just not released in time for
    >integration/testing for Solaris 9 FCS.
    >
    >[/ref]
    By that argument, there'd be no S9 for V210, B100 etc. But there is,
    thank goodness.

    >I would have *no* problem believing this (though it's only loosely
    >related to the original question). A lot of Blade 1500 owners are
    >running commercial IC design automation SW (Cadence, Synopsys, Mentor,
    >Magma) and official Solaris 9 support is not wide-spread among that
    >crowd.
    >
    >[/ref]
    These guys should read about S9 performance enhancements.

    Pete.

    Peter Guest

  14. #14

    In article <Pine.GSO.4.44.0309301034070.29865-100000zaphod>,
    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    I can't speak for the SB1500, but certainly for the ServerBlades and the
    V250, the emphasis in beta testing was on Solaris 8 over Solaris 9. I had
    to run S8 on both for some months before S9 was available - at which point
    they immediately got reinstalled with Solaris 9. But in both those cases
    there was proper Solaris 9 support at product launch (or very soon after).

  15. #15

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Peter Bunclark wrote:

    What happens if you make such a link, pointing it to something
    like /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250?

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  16. #16

    Rich Teer wrote:

    >What happens if you make such a link, pointing it to something
    >like /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250?
    >

    >[/ref]
    In fact, we did try that, and it does get a stage further.

    # ls -l install/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 18 Sep 22 13:16
    install/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500/ ->
    SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240

    Then we thought
    that this could go on for a long time. Eventually, as it was jumpstart we
    were getting going, it might have got to the point of installing, but would
    of course have installed an unbootable system, so that system would have
    to be fixed up.... and life is just too short! Quite likely, there
    would be
    a show-stopper at some point, some new little thing that 1500s need that we
    just couldn't work around.
    On the other hand, it shows that if someone who is just guessing can
    make
    a bit of progress, imagine how easy it would be for a systems developer...

    Pete.

    Peter Guest