Professional Web Applications Themes

Sleep mode - Mac Applications & Software

I'm still running OS 8.6 and will probably do it for another coupla years until Apple gets its act together and revives the classic interface. Anyway, back to my question. What is sleeping when I put my computer into sleep mode? I know the monitor blanks out, but what is the computer doing? It wakes up when the space bar is depressed, so something is going on. If I have my computer in sleep mode, can someone use its resources via the internet, or do I really have to do a hard shutdown? Will something like the program that runs ...

  1. #1

    Default Sleep mode

    I'm still running OS 8.6 and will probably do it for another coupla
    years until Apple gets its act together and revives the classic
    interface.

    Anyway, back to my question. What is sleeping when I put my computer
    into sleep mode? I know the monitor blanks out, but what is the computer
    doing? It wakes up when the space bar is depressed, so something is
    going on.

    If I have my computer in sleep mode, can someone use its resources via
    the internet, or do I really have to do a hard shutdown? Will something
    like the program that runs the SETI project still work?

    Al

    --
    There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
    Al Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sleep mode

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Al <com> wrote:

    You may be waiting longer than you think.

    That really depends on the model. Some of the towers go to sleep so
    deeply that you can do some kinds of internal maintenance without
    powering them down. (This is unsupported and borderline stupid, but it
    can actually work and be kind of fun if you're trying to freak out a
    non-Mac-savvy tech.)

    Others shut down the CPU and display and not much else.

    Sleep should be fine. I can't think of any Macs offhand that support
    sleep but can really do network traffic while they're sleeping. Some can
    be woken up by specific network traffic if they're configured to do so.

    No. Not at all.
    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    > You may be waiting longer than you think.
    >

    > That really depends on the model. Some of the towers go to sleep so
    > deeply that you can do some kinds of internal maintenance without
    > powering them down. (This is unsupported and borderline stupid, but it
    > can actually work and be kind of fun if you're trying to freak out a
    > non-Mac-savvy tech.)
    >
    > Others shut down the CPU and display and not much else.
    >

    > Sleep should be fine. I can't think of any Macs offhand that support
    > sleep but can really do network traffic while they're sleeping. Some can
    > be woken up by specific network traffic if they're configured to do so.
    >

    > No. Not at all.[/ref]

    Thanks for the excellent reply!
    My Mac is a 7200/120 upgraded with a Sonnet card with 176RAM and two
    drives totaling 5.9GB and I've added two USB ports. I've been happy with
    this combo. I upgraded from a 7200/90 which apparently had ethernet
    issues as I found out every now and then.

    Al

  4. #4

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Al <com> wrote:

    On an iMac running OS 9.2, sleep powers down (more accurately "spins
    down") a LaCie FireWire external HD (which is nice). Can't say what
    happens with USB drives or other systems.
    AES/newspost Guest