Professional Web Applications Themes

Sleep mode and airline travel - Mac Applications & Software

hello, Whenever I fly the stewardesses warn the passengers to turn off all electronic equipment before takeoff and landing. I usually have my ibook in sleep mode under the seat in front of me when these announcements are made. Is a laptop in sleep mode a threat to the functioning of the aircraft? TIA...

  1. #1

    Default Sleep mode and airline travel

    hello,

    Whenever I fly the stewardesses warn the passengers to turn off all
    electronic equipment before takeoff and landing. I usually have my ibook
    in sleep mode under the seat in front of me when these announcements are
    made. Is a laptop in sleep mode a threat to the functioning of the
    aircraft?

    TIA
    Hobo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sleep mode and airline travel

    In article <newsguy.com>, Hobo
    <com> wrote:

    A laptop in full operational mode is in fact no threat to the
    functioning of the aircraft except, possibly, if wireless networking is
    active. You probably already have it turned off, though, because
    there's nothing to connect to on the plane anyway and thus no reason to
    waste the battery. A laptop in sleep mode would be even less of a
    threat, except it is not possible for something to be less of a threat
    than no threat at all.

    That doesn't mean they won't make you turn it off. You are required by
    law to obey instructions given by thei arcraft flight crew. So if you
    are ever told to turn off your sleeping laptop by a flight attendant,
    then turn it off.

    That said, you will never be told to turn off a sleeping laptop if it
    is properly stowed. It is far more of a danger as a projectile than as
    a source of RF interference, and the flight crew is rightly more
    concerned with making sure it doesn't go hurtling through the air if
    the plane hits a rough patch.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  3. #3

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Hobo <com> wrote:

    No. In sleep mode the laptop is doing almost nothing more
    than it is when it's off.

    However, if you have an Airport card in that iBook then you
    must take measures to ensure it's not working /all the time
    during the flight/, not just during take-off and landing. I
    don't know enough about BlueTooth to know if the same
    measures are necessary.

    Simon Guest

  4. #4

    demon.co.uklocalhost (Simon Slavin) writes:
    [...]
    What do you know about Airport card that makes turning it off
    necessary? I turn off my airport (when I remember) to help the
    battery last longer. If airlines thought wireless cards posed
    a safety risk at cruising, they'd take *some* measure to stop it,
    even if it were nothing more than the same instructions they give for
    cellphones.
    --
    Dale J. Stephenson
    com

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    com (Dale J. Stephenson) wrote:

    >What do you know about Airport card that makes turning it off
    >necessary?[/ref]

    Hmm, yes. I think I overstated. I've never heard an
    announcement which told me not to generate a wireless
    signal while the plane was in flight. You're right.

    Simon Guest