Professional Web Applications Themes

slicing images? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm doing a web course and have some self assesment questions to answer. The following question has me confused: Which of the following statements constitutes an advantage of image slicing? A. Reduced image size B. Reduced image loading time C. Increased image resolution D. Increased image pixilation I feel pretty sure it's not C or D but have seen both A and B said about image slicing on various web site tutorials. Any help would be great. thanks...

  1. #1

    Default slicing images?

    brintonwhite webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: slicing images?

    I'd say 30% A and 70% B :-)

    A because slicing allows an image to be selectively compressed in some
    software. In other words, some bits of the image (as appropriate) can be
    saved as JPEGs and some bits may be better saved as GIF's.
    If you're compressing the entire image as a JPG or GIF then I don't see any
    advantage in slicing.

    B because one of the primary benefits is to create the *perception* that the
    image is downloading quicker because it renders on screen as the various
    bits download instead of waiting for the entire thing to download before
    seeing anything.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller Guest

  3. #3

    A. would be a simple answer because you slice the image, of course the image size will be reduced (absolutely logical) while B. would be a good answer because smaller image usually take a short time to load.

    DREAMWORMS

    [email]dreamwormslycos.co.uk[/email]
    :: Let's cooperate to grow our portfolio ::
    dreamworms webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    "brintonwhite" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I'm doing a web course and have some self assesment questions to answer. The following question has me confused:
    >
    > Which of the following statements constitutes an advantage of image slicing?
    >
    > A. Reduced image size
    > B. Reduced image loading time
    > C. Increased image resolution
    > D. Increased image pixilation
    B. theoretically, since sliced images *can* (if connection parameters
    allow) be downloaded in parallell packets.
    However, IMHO the *true* advantage is that you can create a nice layout
    with adjacent images in a nested table.
    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  5. #5

    > > I'm doing a web course and have some self assesment questions to answer.
    > > The following question has me confused:
    > >
    > > Which of the following statements constitutes an advantage of image slicing?
    > >
    > > A. Reduced image size
    > > B. Reduced image loading time
    > > C. Increased image resolution
    > > D. Increased image pixilation
    >
    > B. theoretically, since sliced images *can* (if connection parameters
    > allow) be downloaded in parallell packets.
    Another 'version' of the infamous urban legend regarding sliced images
    makes its way around the web once again.

    Unbelievable..................

    And from a professional 'web de-zi-ner' no less!
    Lumper Dawgz Guest

  6. #6

    None of the above.

    In fact, it can increase download times, as well as look downright ugly if
    the images are not sliced in a perfectly symetrical manner.

    --
    Al Sparber - PVII
    [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url]

    "brintonwhite" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm doing a web course and have some self assesment questions to answer.
    The following question has me confused:

    > Which of the following statements constitutes an advantage of image
    slicing?

    > A. Reduced image size
    > B. Reduced image loading time
    > C. Increased image resolution
    > D. Increased image pixilation
    >

    > I feel pretty sure it's not C or D but have seen both A and B said about
    image slicing on various web site tutorials.

    > Any help would be great.
    >
    > thanks

    Al Sparber- PVII Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:57:19 -0400, "Al Sparber- PVII"
    <thisaddressactuallyworks.com> wrote:
    >None of the above.
    >
    >In fact, it can increase download times, as well as look downright ugly if
    >the images are not sliced in a perfectly symetrical manner.
    My thoughts exactly! It can give the *perception* of a faster download
    since the user might see something happening, but that is only
    perception and not reality.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  8. #8

    Try this tech note here:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/slicing_speed.htm[/url]

    It's actually pretty unbiased.

    --

    > Is this lumper refering to me? I'm certainly not a pro web designer, I
    have not been doing the course for long. I posted the question because I did
    not know the answer. Simple as that. I didn't even know there was a rumour,
    and in fact I've never actually sliced an image - I've only just seen it in
    the question I posted

    Al Sparber- PVII Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Alan Ames Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    > None of the above.

    So are there any advantages in slicing?

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller Guest

  11. #11

    No. Not in my opinion. But I think a lot of people are confused about
    slicing for the sake of slicing versus using the slice feature to create
    discreet buttons or other images in programs like Fireworks or Photoshop.

    "John Waller" <johnwpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
    > > None of the above.
    >
    > So are there any advantages in slicing?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > John Waller

    Al Sparber- PVII Guest

  12. #12

    "dreamworms" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry Al, Gary but you've got it absolutely wrong. A group of small images
    downloads more efficiently in a browser than one large image. You slice
    image in order to divide it into smaller files to accelerate download time
    or to assign different compression or file formats to various parts of an
    image, particularly animations.

    > Slicing is the process of cutting image into pieces, saving the individual
    parts as image files, and writing an HTML doent that resembles the slices
    on-screen. This increases the efficiency of displaying the images on the
    browser by decreasing the download time.

    Can you point to any evidence or proof that this is true?
    I would like to know the facts about this. My intuition (hardly infallable)
    tells me that the file sizes of many small images would total more than that
    of one single image, due to the numerous headers needing to be downloaded,
    and the increased html (tables) needed to display the images.
    So how can this be faster?
    > I'd say that i would take the advantage of slicing to give the visitor
    idea of the image.
    > The engineers who create the application surely have point to create
    slicing command, we should appreciate and take the advantage of it.

    > DREAMWORMS
    > [url]http://www.siteatelier.com[/url]
    > [email]dreamwormslycos.co.uk[/email]
    >
    > :: Let's cooperate to grow our portfolio ::

    Shank Williams Guest

  13. #13

    browsers can fetch multiple files at one time.

    so say a large image is cut into 4 images-
    Even if the 4 images total slightly more file size than one large one- the
    browser can do simultaneous downloads of the 4 images at the same time-
    whereas the one single image is limited to the one request.

    a lot depends on the person's connection speed of course. If their
    connection is saturated it only goes so fast anyways

    and how many angels are on that particular pinhead...
    > Can you point to any evidence or proof that this is true?
    > I would like to know the facts about this. My intuition (hardly infallable)
    > tells me that the file sizes of many small images would total more than that
    > of one single image, due to the numerous headers needing to be downloaded,
    > and the increased html (tables) needed to display the images.
    > So how can this be faster?
    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  14. #14

    There is no logical reason to slice a perfectly good image into pieces
    unless those pieces happen to be buttons of a navigation bar, for instance.
    On a good day, a browser (modern ones) will be able to grab multiple files
    simultaneously... but only so many, and only perhaps, and that still means
    that the images will not come in in any predictable order. And everyone
    seems to forget that browsers not only have to doownload image, they also
    need to draw them and that drawing taxes the rendering engine... especially
    on Mozilla browsers. Forget angels and pinheads, this topic is one where you
    either get it, don't get it, or just want to split hairs.

  15. #15

    "Al Sparber- PVII" <thisaddressactuallyworks.com> wrote in message
    >Forget angels and pinheads, this topic is one where you
    > either get it, don't get it, or just want to split hairs.
    And I meant the royal "you" and not anyone in particualar :-)

    Al Sparber- PVII Guest