Professional Web Applications Themes

Slide show with digital photos - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

Flash 5 Dreamweaver 4 I have about 15 digital photos saved as png files thru fireworks which I have placed into a slide show in flash. No problem getting it saved onto my site in dreamweaver and will put. The problem I have is that when I go to pull the page up on the web from a separate cpu it takes forever to load. I think it is do to the size of the file (1392K). My question is, am I correct in assuming that size of the file is creating the problem, and if so, should I save ...

  1. #1

    Default Slide show with digital photos

    Flash 5
    Dreamweaver 4

    I have about 15 digital photos saved as png files thru fireworks which I have placed into a slide show in flash. No problem getting it saved onto my site in dreamweaver and will put.

    The problem I have is that when I go to pull the page up on the web from a separate cpu it takes forever to load. I think it is do to the size of the file (1392K).

    My question is, am I correct in assuming that size of the file is creating the problem, and if so, should I save the pictures in a different format, or is there a way to reduce the amount of space the pictures take up without losing a lot from the pictures appearance. Also, is there maybe a certain threshold of space that you would not want to exceed on a particular page. Three other items on the page total around 550k and the page works perfectly.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

    okasaki webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slide show with digital photos

    i'm not an expert on file size stuff, but, i can tell you that it is a must to change .png to .jpeg (80 quality) usually works great. that should reduce your project to half the size. Plus, .png files are not liked by microsoft, so feel free to use them, but never suggest (even though they look the best) .jpegs or even a high quality .gif will generate a nice eneough image to view on the web. Also, keep in mind the size of the actual photos (you don't want 1024x size photos if they are just for viewing on the internet). try keeping everything at 100% scale in flash while you work (don't scale your images) and make sure to get the properties info on each bitmap and change it for flash to determine the size and qualitly of the image (by default flash will keep your bitmap import using its original settings, your file size will be smaller if you tell flash to .jpeg it and change the quality to around 75 to 80%.
    hope i helped [url]http://home.fuse.net/jmdesign[/url]

    jemac2003 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with Jemac2003, you definitely want to convert the png images to jpeg. That will save a lot of space. Another good thing to do is load the images from outside of the swf. you can do this by creating an Array of the images and using loadMovie to bring the images into an empty movie clip. I just finished a photo gallery like that and it is only 75KB in size. The page loads pretty quickly and so do the images. I am still learning, so if anybody has any idea on how to improve upon this method I would appreciate any input.

    Captain8675 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest