Professional Web Applications Themes

Slide Shows from InDesign CS - Adobe Indesign Windows

At my job, we currently created a slide show presentation directly from ID and exported it as a PDF which we then added transitions and such. We also added movies directly from ID, which is a great feature. We also had an intro movie which we created from AI and PS, then exported as a Flash animation and placed on the title slide. This was basically on big experiment to see if we could bypass PowerPoint and just do all our presentations in ID. As expected, the program is 100x better at creating the slide layouts and having it play ...

  1. #1

    Default Slide Shows from InDesign CS

    At my job, we currently created a slide show presentation directly from ID and exported it as a PDF which we then added transitions and such. We also added movies directly from ID, which is a great feature. We also had an intro movie which we created from AI and PS, then exported as a Flash animation and placed on the title slide.

    This was basically on big experiment to see if we could bypass PowerPoint and just do all our presentations in ID. As expected, the program is 100x better at creating the slide layouts and having it play as a PDF worked out great.

    Finally to my questions: Has anyone out there ever done a slide show in this manner? Is it feasible to take PowerPoint out of the slide show equation all together? If anyone out there has experience in this type of thing please let me know.
    Enrique_Gomez@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slide Shows from InDesign CS

    You already have your answer. Yes, it's possible, but IME, it takes way
    longer to do. I've never been given the luxury of time in putting
    together presentations of this type, but if you do have the time, a PDF
    can be great.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    What Bob said. Plus, Ppt has far more presentation-specific tools than
    Acrobat will ever have. The list is endless, but I don't use ID/PDF in place
    of Ppt because:

    Notes Pages
    Speaker Notes on the laptop, slide image on the LCD
    Instant black screen (press b)
    Instant goto any slide (press slide number)
    Easy edit and modification.
    Animation (not the eye candy, but the useful stuff like motion paths)

    We distribute presentations, and we want our customers to customize the
    slides. Obviously, that doesn't work from ID, but that may be your goal in
    the first place.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Reminds me of an annual report my boss designed in QuarkXPress for Mac. The client was presenting it at an AGM and wanted a powerpoint presentation. The designer went ahead, copying from the original QuarkXPress file, and made the presentation there (QuarkXPress, Macintosh, using Adobe fonts and Illustrator graphics).

    Frequent unscheduled (but hardly unexpected) changes kept us updating the presentation until two days before the meeting. The logistics of hiring someone with the expertise and resources to convert the QuarkXpress files to PowerPoint were still to be arranged.

    I was not in the loop on this (print production artist), but I was the only one who wasn't confident that the company hired for the conversion was up to the task. My sole responsibility was collecting the job and burning a CD, which I did, then couriered to the company contracted for the conversion.

    Then, on my own, I made a PDF. I added a page at the end that clearly detailes where there were four hidden buttons on every page to go forward, go backward, restart the presentation, and toggle full screen mode. I made this the default page in the PDF. Also explained was how to use the keyboard or a wheel mouse to advance the slides/pages. I added a button labeled "Start Presentation" that turned on full-screen mode, then jumped to the first page of the show. Then I went ahead and made those buttons on every page.

    Finally, I emailed the file to my brother, who had Reader, but not Acrobat, and not ATM Deluxe or any Adobe PostScript fonts I was aware of.

    At about the same time the designer was starting to sweat about the conversion, I showed him what I had done. I explained I was confident that this file was fully compatible with the Windows version of Reader and that the presentation would look identical on the client's laptop. I also explained that the sooner we gave them this file, the sooner they could test it and verify its compatibility.

    Result: We were able to cancel the contract with the conversion company without cost (thanks to thier inability to meet two deadlines), yet provide a presentation that I an certain was far superior in just about every way to whatever would have been produced if we had enough time.

    That's how I got my VC.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    VC?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Victoria Cross.

    A British army bravery medal - the best you can get. A bit like the US
    Purple Heart, I think.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    and I think Scott was joking.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    and I think Scott was joking.

    You think? Naw man, he's serious about this. LOL

    I thought VC was some kind of position in the corporate ladder.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    And I thought the only use of VC in the US was to describe little men in
    black pyjamas.

    Sorry Gabriel. You may get this in your InBox as well. Hit the wrong send
    button.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Closest to the VC in US is probably CMH (Congressional Medal of Honor). THe VC was once available to Canadians like me, but not, i believe, any longer.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Sorry Gabriel. You may get this in your InBox as well. Hit the wrong send
    button.

    It's ok, I don't read mail from that email address anymore.

    And I thought the only use of VC in the US was to describe little men
    in black pyjamas.

    Ok, I hope this isn't a little too much but that reminds me of that old Bugs Bunny episode called "Bugs Bunny nips the nips" I know they are different kind of little men but I still think that's kind of funny.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    [email]Enrique_Gomezadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in
    > At my job, we currently created a slide show presentation directly
    > from ID and exported it as a PDF which we then added transitions
    > and such. We also added movies directly from ID, which is a great
    > feature. We also had an intro movie which we created from AI and
    > PS, then exported as a Flash animation and placed on the title
    > slide.
    >
    > This was basically on big experiment to see if we could bypass
    > PowerPoint and just do all our presentations in ID. As expected,
    > the program is 100x better at creating the slide layouts and
    > having it play as a PDF worked out great.
    >
    > Finally to my questions: Has anyone out there ever done a slide
    > show in this manner? Is it feasible to take PowerPoint out of the
    > slide show equation all together? If anyone out there has
    > experience in this type of thing please let me know.
    I do all of my presentations this way, and it works great. I have never
    used PowerPoint in my entire life.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    i just designed a 48 page presentation in InDesign and the client wants it in Powerpoint because they need speaker notes. When I select all on a page and drag it from ID into PPT the group is scaled down about 98%. Aside from that it would be really easy to just select all and drag each page over to ppt, but if I have to rescale each page it will be a nightmare. any solutions?
    Unregistered Guest