Professional Web Applications Themes

Slideshow Image Order - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Rudolf, the slideshow records the images in the order in which they appear in the folder on your hard drive. And the order in the folder is a function of your OS. Win and Mac both normally use an alphabetic or numeric system, in ascending order. (Macs can be changed to descending order, but I don't know if Wins can or not.) You have to work with the image file names in order to get the pictures to show up in an order that suits you. What I do, and I think many of the rest of the folks do ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Slideshow Image Order

    Rudolf, the slideshow records the images in the order in which they appear in the folder on your hard drive. And the order in the folder is a function of your OS. Win and Mac both normally use an alphabetic or numeric system, in ascending order. (Macs can be changed to descending order, but I don't know if Wins can or not.) You have to work with the image file names in order to get the pictures to show up in an order that suits you.

    What I do, and I think many of the rest of the folks do the same thing, is assign a number with a leading zero at the beginning of any image file name. For example, if you have 15 pictures that you took at Yellowstone, name the first one you want shown as 001Yellowstone, then go on to 002Yellowstone. Simple numbers without the extra zero won't work, because the OS will put the number 11 right after the number 1.
    Beth Haney Guest

  2. #2

    Dear Beth H.,
    I was darn close to this solution but it did not dawn on me that the sorting in Mac OSX might not work with the format 'CommonName_##' but does it only correctly with the #s in front, i.e. '##_CommonName'. Incidentally, although I did the ordering of the filenames with my assumed solution in finder, PSE did not strictly follow that ordering.
    Of course, everything has its own logic, like the religions.
    Thank you very much for you very quick response.
    Regards,
    Rudolf H.
    Rudolf Hecken Guest

  3. #3

    Dear Beth: I did some more experiments and have found the following (hopefully final solution) to work best. 1) Have your order established in the Finder folder (since I am working with a Mac) using either method e.g. 'CommonName_##' or your method '##_CommonName'. 2) Open PSE and call /File/AutomationTools/PDF slideshow/. 3) When choosing the pictures in your ordered folder PSE does not necessarily put them in the order you established but rather in an order that presumably depends on the time when you last saved the picture with PSE, e.g. after you did some processing! However, not all is lost. Within the window in which the slideshow app lists the pictures to be used for the slide show they can be manually re-ordered: Thus I did step 4) Click on the filename of the picture you want first, and drag and drop it at the top most position of the list. Continue with all pictures down the list and voila, they stick where you put them and after you let the app do its final steps the show comes out the way you wanted it.
    I must say, this is rather bersome and I really don't know and understand why it has to be this way. But I hope to learn more.
    Regards,
    Rudolf
    Rudolf Hecken Guest

  4. #4

    Rudolf, your solution is exactly the right one. I found a long time ago
    that, for whatever reason, when I would pick say 10 images to put in a slide
    show, the first and last images would come up swapped on the list and not in
    alphanumeric order. Once I discovered that - and discussed it without
    really satisfactory resolution on this forum - I resigned myself to having
    to use the drag and drop approach. It's not that bad, though - just the
    first and last of a group seem to be out of order, at least on my setup.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    You know, I only used that silly PDF slideshow once and was mad at it because you have to quit the program to get control of your computer back! I think I'll stay away from it. It's too much trouble! :)

    Rudolf, wouldn't it be easier to do the slide show in iMovie?! I've never checked - can an iMovie show be converted to PDF after everything is set up? It's a h--- of a lot easier to work with! I've done a number of shows in iMovie, but I've never tried converting them to any other format. Maybe I should look into that. Although I still don't like the way PDF runs, now that I think about it. How about iMovie to Quicktime if dual platform is needed?
    Beth Haney Guest

  6. #6

    Rudolf, I'm hopeful that the next version of PSE will address this anomaly!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    Hey Beth,

    We talked about this in another thread a while back but never came to a consensus, did we. After you piqued my interest, however, I did do some experimenting with iMovie. You can't export anything from iMove that's doesn't end up as some sort of movie/video format. You already knew that I'm sure. But could you, after creating the slideshow/movie, convert it to something else? I didn't know so I checked out Quicktime Pro. I've been thinking of upgrading anyway (if for nothing else then to get rid of the "Upgrade to Quicktime Pro" message you get overtime you open it), and this is what I found out. QTP can import about a gazillion different formats (ok only 30 if you're really counting) including PDF, but can only export these:

    * 3GPP***
    * AIFF
    * AU
    * AVI
    * BMP
    * DV Stream
    * FLC
    * Image Sequence movie exporters
    * JPEG/JFIF
    * JPEG 2000 (Mac OS X)
    * MacPaint
    * MIDI
    * MPEG-4
    * Photoshop
    * PICT
    * PNG
    * QuickTime Image File
    * QuickTime Movie
    * SGI
    * System 7 Sound
    * Targa
    * Text
    * TIFF
    * WAV <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/specifications.html>

    So, I don't think there is a way to export/convert anything you get out of iMovie into anything other than some sort of video/movie format even with Quicktime Pro. you can save individual frames, as mentioned in the list, as tiff's, psd, etc., but not whole movies as slideshows (other than a slideshow movie).

    You're right about using iMovie, though. It's so easy to work with especially when ordering your stills. I had a blast creating slide shows of my two boys and then adding a soundtrack and titles. The whole family thought the rolling credits where a hoot. I won't go into gory details (diaper humor, among other topics) but it was pretty funny. ;-)

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  8. #8

    Hmmm. I'm thinking! I've gotta go now, 'cause I just got myself in trouble on another thread I think! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    What thread might that be Beth? I'd like to see what kind of trouble you've got yourself into.

    ;-)

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  10. #10

    Ah, right here. At least Jodi laughed!

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7.1dea2a4f/5>

    Edit: Whoops. Didn't need those chickun beeks, did I? I forgot.
    Beth Haney Guest

  11. #11

    Hi Beth and Chuck,
    I am ever so grateful that you both have put me on the right track with this particular issue/anomaly. I have never used iMovie yet and probably won't in the future. I am just a retired old f....ellow who is happy enough to massage some digital photos I take on my vacation and either print them or send them as a short slideshow to my children,grandchildren or relatives who might be interested in things I look at and deem as being of interest to others, etc, etc. There is so much to learn with PSE and digital photography that it fills my days easily and leaves rather little time for such exotic topics as iMovie.
    Anyway, it was a pleasure communicating with you. This user forum is a true blessing in more than one sense!
    Greetings to both of you!
    Rudolf
    Rudolf Hecken Guest

  12. #12

    Rudolf, as we say deep in the heart of Texas: "Y'all come back now, hear?!"
    In other words...hope we see you here often!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #13

    Nice tip Barb, Thanks! I'll probably still get QTP. It's nice that I don't have to keep being reminded, though.

    :-)

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  14. #14

    I was checking for an answer to another question, but this topic caught my eye.

    I use Irfanview (freeware) to batch rename files. Very fast and just we need for our web galleries. You add your files to the batch list box, type in a title with # indicating how many digits you want (e.g. wedding_##, tell it what number you want to start with, click Start and voila! Takes only seconds to do this. I have not found any software that works as quickly at renaming. I have had no problem with files reordering once I rename them in Irfanview.

    Irfanview is a small freeware image editing utility that takes up little space or memory, runs without conflict AND its very user friendly. The download file is only 822 KB. It does a lot of stuff, especially if you add the plug-ins. What's really nice is that it opens in an instant -- very rare these days. I use it every day. With the added plug-ins, you can even view Flash (.swf) files.

    <http://www.irfanview.com>

    No affilation, just very happy with it. I actually like and use it so much I sent my $10 to register it. LOL

    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest