Professional Web Applications Themes

[Slightly OT] Free version of MSFT VC++ now available - PERL Modules

(If this seems OT, I apologize, but given the number of requests showing up here for PPMs of things for Win32, I thought it was pretty relevant) For those looking to install Perl modules on Win32 that require a C/C++ compiler, MSFT has made a command line version of VC++ freely available: [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/[/url] I haven't installed/tried it yet, but hopefully it will make it easier for folks to build the latest releases of their favorite modules wo/ scrounging for PPMs or paying hefty prices for Visual Studio. Dean Arnold Presicient Corp. [url]www.presicient.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default [Slightly OT] Free version of MSFT VC++ now available

    (If this seems OT, I apologize, but given the number of
    requests showing up here for PPMs of things for Win32,
    I thought it was pretty relevant)

    For those looking to install Perl modules on Win32 that
    require a C/C++ compiler, MSFT has made a command line
    version of VC++ freely available:

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/[/url]

    I haven't installed/tried it yet, but hopefully it will make it
    easier for folks to build the latest releases of their
    favorite modules wo/ scrounging for PPMs or
    paying hefty prices for Visual Studio.

    Dean Arnold
    Presicient Corp.
    [url]www.presicient.com[/url]

    Dean Arnold Guest

  2. #2

    Just bear in mind that users will need .net framework installed (or at a
    minimum MSVCR71.DLL in the path).

    "Dean Arnold" <darnoldpresicient.com> wrote in message
    news:jFBgc.52832$t13.7965newssvr25.news.prodigy.c om...
    > (If this seems OT, I apologize, but given the number of
    > requests showing up here for PPMs of things for Win32,
    > I thought it was pretty relevant)
    >
    > For those looking to install Perl modules on Win32 that
    > require a C/C++ compiler, MSFT has made a command line
    > version of VC++ freely available:
    >
    > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/[/url]
    >
    > I haven't installed/tried it yet, but hopefully it will make it
    > easier for folks to build the latest releases of their
    > favorite modules wo/ scrounging for PPMs or
    > paying hefty prices for Visual Studio.
    >
    > Dean Arnold
    > Presicient Corp.
    > [url]www.presicient.com[/url]

    Chris Whiting Guest

  3. #3

    Chris Whiting wrote:
    > Just bear in mind that users will need .net framework installed (or at a
    > minimum MSVCR71.DLL in the path).
    Also, I believe "nmake" is required. Where can that be obtained? I was
    surprised to note that it's not in the toolkit.

    >>For those looking to install Perl modules on Win32 that
    >>require a C/C++ compiler, MSFT has made a command line
    >>version of VC++ freely available:
    >>
    >>[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/[/url]
    >>
    >>I haven't installed/tried it yet, but hopefully it will make it
    >>easier for folks to build the latest releases of their
    >>favorite modules wo/ scrounging for PPMs or
    >>paying hefty prices for Visual Studio.
    Steven N. Hirsch Guest

  4. #4

    Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

    > Also, I believe "nmake" is required. Where can that be obtained? I was
    > surprised to note that it's not in the toolkit.

    Are you sure ? That would indeed be surprising .... bah!! .... what am I
    saying .... this is MS, after all :-)

    You would expect it to be in the 'bin' directory if it has been included
    in the toolkit.

    Otherwise you can get what I assume to be a suitable version of nmake
    from either:
    [url]http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe[/url]
    or
    [url]ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe[/url]

    Just execute the downloaded file to install nmake.exe to one of the
    directories in your path.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus Guest

  5. #5

    Sisyphus wrote:
    > Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    >

    >> Also, I believe "nmake" is required. Where can that be obtained? I
    >> was surprised to note that it's not in the toolkit.
    >>

    > Are you sure ? That would indeed be surprising .... bah!! .... what am I
    > saying .... this is MS, after all :-)
    >
    > You would expect it to be in the 'bin' directory if it has been included
    > in the toolkit.
    Yes. You would expect it be. However, you would be wrong <g>.
    > Otherwise you can get what I assume to be a suitable version of nmake
    > from either:
    > [url]http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe[/url]
    >
    > or
    > [url]ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe[/url]
    >
    > Just execute the downloaded file to install nmake.exe to one of the
    > directories in your path.
    Many thanks for the links! I have it.

    Steve
    Steven N. Hirsch Guest

  6. #6

    Here is my previous post on what is needed to use a slightly different MS 7
    compiler. I am sure that the same will be needed here.

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bperl/tk+%2B%22chris+Whiting%22+%2Bcompile&hl=en&lr=&ie= UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3fe1226b_8%40news.athenanews.com&rnum=1[/url]

    "Chris Whiting" <chrisremovethisremovethis.riverslime.com> wrote in message
    > Just bear in mind that users will need .net framework installed (or at a
    > minimum MSVCR71.DLL in the path).
    >

    > "Dean Arnold" <darnoldpresicient.com> wrote in message
    > news:jFBgc.52832$t13.7965newssvr25.news.prodigy.c om...
    > > (If this seems OT, I apologize, but given the number of
    > > requests showing up here for PPMs of things for Win32,
    > > I thought it was pretty relevant)
    > >
    > > For those looking to install Perl modules on Win32 that
    > > require a C/C++ compiler, MSFT has made a command line
    > > version of VC++ freely available:
    > >
    > > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/[/url]
    > >
    > > I haven't installed/tried it yet, but hopefully it will make it
    > > easier for folks to build the latest releases of their
    > > favorite modules wo/ scrounging for PPMs or
    > > paying hefty prices for Visual Studio.
    > >
    > > Dean Arnold
    > > Presicient Corp.
    > > [url]www.presicient.com[/url]