Professional Web Applications Themes

Slightly OT: GUI builder - UNIX Programming

Hello, this might be off-topic but I do not want the application tied to a specific brad on *nix. I am looking to build an editor having controls (or widgets) such as tabs, panes, edit boxes, combo boxes and trees. I do not want it tied to a specific desktop (gnome or kde). Ideally, it would be a terminal based UI with the above controls. I am looking presently at glade. Does anyone know of some other GUI builders? Does anyone know of an oguous tool for terminal-based apps? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Slightly OT: GUI builder

    Hello,

    this might be off-topic but I do not want the application tied to a specific
    brad on *nix.

    I am looking to build an editor having controls (or widgets) such as tabs,
    panes, edit boxes, combo boxes and trees. I do not want it tied to a
    specific desktop (gnome or kde). Ideally, it would be a terminal based UI
    with the above controls.

    I am looking presently at glade. Does anyone know of some other GUI
    builders? Does anyone know of an oguous tool for terminal-based apps?

    Thanks.

    zalt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slightly OT: GUI builder

    > this might be off-topic but I do not want the application tied to a

    A friend of mine used GTK+ for something he did in the summer. I think he
    even got it running on Windows, with the appropriate DLLs.

    http://www.nathack.net/fppfe/

    There's screen shots and source code there. Is that what you're looking
    for?

    --
    Jem Berkes
    http://www.sysdesign.ca/

  3. #3

    > this might be off-topic but I do not want the application tied to a specific

    Maybe TCL/TK will do the trick? (www.tcl.tk)

    Regards,
    =Adrian
    Adrian Guest

  4. #4

    Hi zalt!

    On 09 Feb 04 at 23:16, "zalt" (zalt ) wrote:

    zalt> I am looking presently at glade. Does anyone know of some other GUI
    zalt> builders?

    Look for Prima if you plan to use Perl.

    --
    Sincerely,
    Dmitry

    --- www.karasik.eu.org ---

    He who dies with most the toys wins
    Dmitry Guest

  5. #5

    "zalt" <com> writes:

    Glade is nice - especially if you want a GUI for ruby/perl/python whatever.

    Depends on which language and/or GUI toolkit you want:

    - qtdesigner
    - wxglade
    - spectcl (there exist ruby, perl and python bindings)

    Sorry, no idea.

    HTH & kind regards
    frank

    --
    Frank Schmitt
    quattro research GmbH

  6. #6

    "Jem Berkes" <pc9.org> wrote in message

    > A friend of mine used GTK+ for something he did in the summer. I think he
    > even got it running on Windows, with the appropriate DLLs.
    >
    > http://www.nathack.net/fppfe/
    >
    > There's screen shots and source code there. Is that what you're looking
    > for?[/ref]

    Well, the editor I am planning to build should look a bit like this. GTK+ is
    definitely an option. There is a constraint - it should be used by admins.
    Assuming that a machine might be broken and unable to start X, the editor
    should be terminal-based. I also have to link against some shared object
    modules (.so) so I do not know if it is feasible with Tcl/Tk but I will
    definitely look into (and all other toolkits that have been suggested here).

    Thank you very much everybody!

    zalt Guest

  7. #7

    > Well, the editor I am planning to build should look a bit like this.

    If you properly isolate your "user interface" code from the core code
    (using abstractions) then you could code both a text interface and a GUI.

    --
    Jem Berkes
    http://www.sysdesign.ca/

  8. #8

    Adrian Davis <gov.uk> wrote:
    :> I am looking to build an editor having controls (or widgets) such as tabs,
    :> panes, edit boxes, combo boxes and trees. I do not want it tied to a
    :> specific desktop (gnome or kde). Ideally, it would be a terminal based UI
    :> with the above controls.
    :>
    :> I am looking presently at glade. Does anyone know of some other GUI
    :> builders? Does anyone know of an oguous tool for terminal-based apps?

    : Maybe TCL/TK will do the trick? (www.tcl.tk)

    Tk wouldn't alone do terminal-based GUI.
    But combined with Ck (which you can find on my site www.45.free.net/tcl)
    it allows to write single program which would work both as GUI app (with
    Tk) or as text-based full-screen app (with Ck).

    --
    "Help save the world!" -- Larry Wall in README
    Victor Guest

  9. #9

    "Victor Wagner" <free.net> wrote in message
    tabs,
    UI
    apps?

    I saw Ck - neat stuff. I also have been told of a Turbo Vision port:
    http://tvision.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks.

    zalt Guest

  10. #10

    zalt <com> wrote:
    :> : Maybe TCL/TK will do the trick? (www.tcl.tk)
    :>
    :> Tk wouldn't alone do terminal-based GUI.
    :> But combined with Ck (which you can find on my site www.45.free.net/tcl)
    :> it allows to write single program which would work both as GUI app (with
    :> Tk) or as text-based full-screen app (with Ck).
    :>

    : I saw Ck - neat stuff. I also have been told of a Turbo Vision port:
    : http://tvision.sourceforge.net/

    As far as I know, Turbo Vision doesn't have graphical counterpart.

    And it requires writing GUI on C++, which is pretty much low-level
    language for such task.

    --
    I think $[ is more like a coelacanth than a mastadon.
    -- Larry Wall in <org>