Professional Web Applications Themes

Slightly OT - PC Event Software - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hello PS Users, I am interested knowing if anyone has access to "canned" framing software for PS similar to that found in ImageWare's PC Event. Is there any software out there that offers ready made framing for events? It seems silly to spend 2K on a program like PC Event which is used to capture and print event images when one can do it with exising software. In my case I have Nikon Capture and PS. The work flow would be to capture the image in Nikon Capture. From there I'd send it to PS. I'd then gather all the ...

  1. #1

    Default Slightly OT - PC Event Software

    Hello PS Users,

    I am interested knowing if anyone has access to "canned" framing software for PS similar to that found in ImageWare's PC Event. Is there any software out there that offers ready made framing for events?

    It seems silly to spend 2K on a program like PC Event which is used to capture and print event images when one can do it with exising software. In my case I have Nikon Capture and PS. The work flow would be to capture the image in Nikon Capture. From there I'd send it to PS. I'd then gather all the images to a folder and drag that to a droplet that contains an action created with the usual assortment of things like assigning the camera profile, converting to the working space, softproofing, adusting by USM, levels, etc., converting to the printer profile and going to print.

    Somewhere in the mix, I'd like to add a frame or border around the image.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks for your aniticpated help.

    RSR
    Ron_Ross@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slightly OT - PC Event Software

    I read this twice and was just as confused both times. What are you actually asking?

    If you want to just add a plain border to an image, that's very easy [at least 3 ways to do it], but it sounds like you know PS well, so you'd know how to do that. Please clarify.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry for you confusion.

    There is a few programs out there for event photography, one called Express Digital and the other is called PC Event.

    These programs are all in one packages that work when a camera and printer are connected to a computer. They offer the ability to capture an image, let's say a couple in front of a backdrop. It then brings up the image to the screen thus allowing for editing and placing the image within a canned border. Once this is complete the image is exported to an on site dye sub printer, like the Mitsubishi. They are used at partys, weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, golf outings, etc

    If you have never heard of such a thing, I'm sorry you may not be able to help. For those familiar with event photography
    it's pretty common.

    Thanks anyway,

  4. #4

    Ron,

    Auto F/X makes a plugin called Photographic Edges. You used to be able to download a demo (includes a watermark) and probably still can.

    Also, depending on what kind of frame you want to create, you can make them in Photoshop itself. It's especially easy to make square and rectangular frames. Use different layers for each portion of the frame, and use a variety of fills, textures, etc. to get the look you want. I usually do not flatten the layers in case I want to change one without affecting the othes. Once you have a frame you like, save it as a TIF or PSD file (to avoid JPG compression) and then just add it to your image. You can independently resize the frame using Transform or Free Transform to fit your image.

    Jake
    Jake_Hannam@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Here is the link for Auto F/X:

    <http://www.autofx.com/>

    If you want to see a sample of a frame I created with Photoshop (not Photographic Edges), here is my home page:

    <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1s3s5/index1024.html>

    I hope this is what you are looking for.

  6. #6

    See here what Special Event Programs Are.
    <http://www.expressdigital.com/products/epsportsevent.shtm>
    Everything these programs do one can do much better in Photoshop, but since Special Events are 80% business and 20% photography it is natural that folks going into this kind of business buy these programs for $2.000 to $4.000 because they can do business virtually the next day. Photoshop needs to be learned which takes time. Furthermore the companies selling these programs also sell ready made backgrounds.
    I am working with PS for over three years now and outdo any such programs in quality and speed.

    Ron I am Working on a Web Site to teach the things you are asking in Photoshop. The site is only in the early beginnings but I put it up so you can see. The site will be ready in a month or so but keep posting I might be able to answer with things already written but not in the site yet. Take a look. Most pages are empty.
    <http://www.instantsouvenirs.com/>
    Norbert_Bissinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It sounds like a vertical-market, all-in-one kit. Lots of people buy kits to get them started in new fields, and if they're good, they quickly outgrow the kits. Sometimes the bundle saves money; sometimes you get locked-in to one vendor.

    If you're going to depend on it for a livelihood instead of hobby, it's good to get beyond the kit phase quickly.

    (Generic response--applies to photography darkrooms, rock collecting...)
    r_harvey@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ron I put up some Backgrounds I use every day on Broadway and 42nd St. in New York. These are all designed in PS whit no other plugins.
    I am also in the process to start to sell these and other backgrounds whit the respective automations.
    So please take this only as a way to see what can be done in PS in respect to Special Events.
    <http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?storefront?b=1&c=016V>
    Norbert_Bissinger@adobeforums.com Guest