Professional Web Applications Themes

Slow download times - Web Design

My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared to load the pics from the cache. I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections. Thanks Roscoe...

  1. #1

    Default Slow download times

    My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded
    fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared
    to load the pics from the cache.

    I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to
    load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can
    do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common
    links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but
    the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections.

    Thanks
    Roscoe
    Roscoe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slow download times

    That's the way 2003 is designed, refer to
    [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub11.htm[/url]

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Roscoe" <rdillonmtsi-va.com> wrote in message
    news:46852064.0407122002.6922bcafposting.google.c om...
    > My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded
    > fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared
    > to load the pics from the cache.
    >
    > I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to
    > load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can
    > do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common
    > links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but
    > the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roscoe

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  3. #3

    M$ designed it to work that way. Can you believe that crap? M$ needs to get
    busy and fix Publisher with respect to web applications. There is a class
    action lawsuit in the works addressing the many problems M$ has created for
    folks using Publisher for websites.

    analog@logwell.com Guest

  4. #4

    I went to the page you referred me to and nada about my question...

    "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message news:<eQVCwCJaEHA.1652TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > That's the way 2003 is designed, refer to
    > [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub11.htm[/url]
    >
    > --
    > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > for Publisher help:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    >

    > "Roscoe" <rdillonmtsi-va.com> wrote in message
    > news:46852064.0407122002.6922bcafposting.google.c om...
    > > My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded
    > > fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared
    > > to load the pics from the cache.
    > >
    > > I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to
    > > load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can
    > > do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common
    > > links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but
    > > the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Roscoe
    Roscoe Guest

  5. #5

    I went to the page you referred me to and nada about my question...

    "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message news:<eQVCwCJaEHA.1652TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > That's the way 2003 is designed, refer to
    > [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub11.htm[/url]
    >
    > --
    > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > for Publisher help:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    >

    > "Roscoe" <rdillonmtsi-va.com> wrote in message
    > news:46852064.0407122002.6922bcafposting.google.c om...
    > > My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded
    > > fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared
    > > to load the pics from the cache.
    > >
    > > I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to
    > > load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can
    > > do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common
    > > links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but
    > > the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Roscoe
    Roscoe Guest

  6. #6

    Download times are usually proportional to file sizes. Take a look at your
    file sizes. Are they reasonable? A photo that is 50K in size may be
    reasonable but sometimes you will find websites with 500K images. That's
    usually caused by not using a graphics program to compress, crop and size
    photos properly.

    Also remember you are comparing HTML to XML. XML pages are bigger and quite
    different. I've published an online newsletters for years and after a while
    you get the hang of what works well and gives decent download times vs. what
    doesn't.

    John B

    "Roscoe" <rdillonmtsi-va.com> wrote in message
    news:46852064.0407122002.6922bcafposting.google.c om...
    > My previous web page was built with Frontpage Express. It loaded
    > fairly quickly the first time, and then very quickly since it appeared
    > to load the pics from the cache.
    >
    > I built a newer one in Publisher 2003 and the page takes longer to
    > load, and each subsequent load is no faster. Is there something I can
    > do to speed up the download? I built this page for all my common
    > links so I can reach them from any computer to include dial-ups but
    > the slow downloads kill all but the fastest connections.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roscoe

    John Bowen Guest