Professional Web Applications Themes

Slow to open web page - Macromedia Fireworks

I have created my first "header" in Fireworks4, exported the html, images, slices and copied the code to the top of each of my website html pages. This "header" includes an animated logo, menu buttons with roll over color change and some pop up menus. Exporting creates many row/column gifs and takes way too long to load! I am new at creating websites in Fireworks and can not figure out how to make it better. I would really appreciate any advise I can get! Here is the URL: www.firstmedicalcu.or...

  1. #1

    Default Slow to open web page

    I have created my first "header" in Fireworks4, exported the html, images,
    slices and copied the code to the top of each of my website html pages. This
    "header" includes an animated logo, menu buttons with roll over color change
    and some pop up menus. Exporting creates many row/column gifs and takes way
    too long to load! I am new at creating websites in Fireworks and can not
    figure out how to make it better. I would really appreciate any advise I can
    get! Here is the URL:
    www.firstmedicalcu.or

    CUNColorado Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slow to open web page

    URL doesn't display here. Could you check the URL in your original post.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "CUNColorado" <com> wrote in message
    This
    change
    way
    can

    Sam Guest

  3. #3

    Sam,
    The URL is:

    [L=www.firstmedicalcu.org]http://www.firstmedicalcu.org[/L]

    Hopefully, I did that right! This is the first time I have used this forum.
    Thanks,
    Karen
    CUNColorado Guest

  4. #4

    That's better. The first post was missing the "g" from ".org".

    I am assuming that you are seeing a slow download time over dialup lines.
    That because the page currently weighs in at over 150K.

    You can verify the page and file sizes by typing in your URL at
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/yze/ and clicking the
    "Submit Query" button to view the Web Page Speed report.

    To download at a reasonably speed over a dial-up line you are going to have
    to drop that to somewhere in the 45-50K region.

    A lot of the weight is coming from the fw_menu.js script (22K), but a
    majority of it is coming from the fact that a large portion of your page is
    textual information that is being displayed as graphics (as you surmised
    from the "many row/col gifs" statement). All the popup menus are also
    graphics.

    Do you just use Fireworks or do you have access to Dreamweaver or some other
    HTML editor too.

    You might want to consider:
    -) Displaying more information as text (to reduce page weight and make your
    page friendlier to search engines).
    -) Redesigning your menu system to something lighter than what FW creates.
    Borrowing a page from Murray's journal, the tutorials at:

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm
    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    might be of interest to you.

    Sorry that the solution can't be more of a one-liner....

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "CUNColorado" <com> wrote in message
    forum.

    Sam Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you so much for your response! I have so much to learn!

    I do not have access to Dreamweaver, I code using HTML and sometimes pull it
    up in FrontPage to see what it looks like.

    I am not sure how to make more text and less graphics in FW. Do you mean just
    create my pages in html with less pictures and more straight text

    I wanted to use FW because I like the idea of popup menus and FrontPage and
    HTML doesn't have that capability, that I am aware of

    Would Dreamweaver help solve my problem?

    CUNColorado Guest

  6. #6

    "CUNColorado" <com> wrote in message
    just

    Yes, that's what I mean. Even if you keep some of the logos on the pages,
    you can still convert the text included in those logos to raw text, which
    would reduce the overall size of the graphics.

    and
    HTML was never meant to do have most of the stuff it currently does (take a
    look at any website using the Lynx browser).

    At $400, I wouldn't recommend DW as a PANACEA for all your web development
    woes. However, it would make what you are trying to accomplish easier.
    They finished results of the sample links I posted in the earlier message,
    will display fine on most systems. However, they do make use of DW specific
    extensions to automate the process of creating lightweight menus. In the end
    it is all HTML/Javascript/CSS, but getting there is a different matter.

    If you have access to a broadband system, I would recommend downloading the
    DW2004 trial and running through the included tutorials (as well as the
    Project Seven tutorials) to see how effectively they would work for you.
    It can be downloaded over a dial-up line, but it is painful (pretty much an
    overnight task).

    Please do make note of the system requirements for DW2004, as there was a
    non-trivial jump in requirements from DWMX to DW2004. Judging from the posts
    on the DW forum, performance varies widely depending on your system.

    If your system doesn't have enough horsepower for DWMX 2004 and a hardware
    upgrade is not a viable option, there are still new copies of DWMX floating
    around on eBay for under $150, and all the PVII extensions free or
    commercial will work with the earlier version. Just make sure you are
    buying a full retail (not Academic) version.

    I hope that helps.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Guest