Professional Web Applications Themes

Slower printing from PDF compared to same file in ID - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I am currently creating pdfs for print from ID. I email them to CA to have color copies printed. They print about 900 color copies from this pdf on a Xerox Docucolor 12 using a Splash 630 front end. They are claiming that it takes 1/3 times longer to print the same number of copies from the pdf file as it does from an InDesign file. I personally had never experienced that myself, and I can't get any specifics from them about the problem, like "how long does it take for the first copy to come out pdf vs. ID, ...

  1. #1

    Default Slower printing from PDF compared to same file in ID

    I am currently creating pdfs for print from ID. I email them to CA to have color copies printed. They print about 900 color copies from this pdf on a Xerox Docucolor 12 using a Splash 630 front end. They are claiming that it takes 1/3 times longer to print the same number of copies from the pdf file as it does from an InDesign file. I personally had never experienced that myself, and I can't get any specifics from them about the problem, like "how long does it take for the first copy to come out pdf vs. ID, and how long does it take subsequent copies to come out pdf vs. ID." One of the IT guys made a blanket statement "Oh yeah, pdfs take way longer to print" but I never could any specifics from him either.

    Has anyone heard of this, does anyone have any ideas as to how I might save/change the pdf so this doesnt happen? Sending ID files for printing will create a whole new set of problems and I would really like to solve the pdf problem. Is it indeed a pdf problem or is it xerox/printer/driver problem?

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    CathleenAClapper@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Anybody? I sure could use some tips on how to save my ID docs to pdfs. Should I use the export command in ID, or create a postscript file and distill? What would be the difference? should I save as a print file or a press file? Should it be CMYK or RGB?

    Help!
    CathleenAClapper@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    What is the the end usage of the doc? This will assist in some of the ways to go.
    Barry_Ryan@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    thanks Barry

    I'm trying to create a pdf of an ID file that will be used to print about 1000 color copies on the Xerox Docucolor 12 with a Splash 630 front end. The copies must be fairly high quality, as this is what gets mailed to our clients and they determine whether they will subscribe for the month or not. The problem is running 1000 copies, duplexed, is taking about 20 hours. But when the copies are run from the ID file, they take about half the time.

    Yesterday I downloaded the ppd for the doc12/splash630 and saved a postscript file from ID and then distilled the ps file. After a test of 30 copies, that was taking even longer than the pdf I am exporting from ID.
    CathleenAClapper@adobeforums.com Guest