General tab.Is it set for delayed table editing? Tturn off instant table editing. 11. Don't have too many extensions installed 12. If your pages have lots of MM generated server side code, such as dynamic text, go to Preferences>Invisible Elements, and choose {} for Dynamic Text. 13. Go to Config\Translators\TranslationManager.js, back it up, and save it as a 0 byte file. 14. Temporary disable the rendering of includes in dw Preferences: Preferences-->Invisible Items Near bottom of listing- Render includes. That would be easier than manually erasing the TranslationManager.js file. 15. An article on speeding MX up: [url]http://www.dwteam.com/Articles/speedhints/index.asp[/url] 16. Uninstall Homesite 17. disabling BBEdit Integration via Edit>Preferences>File Types/Editors? (Mac) All of these suggestions (and probably many more) are temporary fudges that do not solve the problem that really needs addressing, which is: Why is DWMX so slow at updating its files, and why is it eating up so much CPU time and memory? Not everyone wants to change their computer or update their OS just to get DW to work properly. Two comments that came closest to the solution IMHO were these: Letholas: As far as I can tell, the issue is that DWMX is parsing the document to populate Bindings, Server Behaviors, Tag Inspector, CSS Styles, etc. Which is cool, but the bad thing is that if I change a single character and leave DWMX and come back, change files within DWMX, save it, or anything at all, it refreshes every one of these, every time. And "The solution is a patch from Macromedia, which will benefit [all] platforms....(reply) "There is no patch that I am aware of." And there the matters rests I suppose. Monty [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => MontyRules webforumsuser@macromedia.com [ip] => "MontyRules" we [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 1 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => 1 [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) -->General tab.Is it set for delayed table[/quote] editing? Tturn off instant table editing.[quote] > 11. Don't have too many extensions installed > 12. If your pages have lots of MM generated server side code, such as[/quote] dynamic text, go to Preferences>Invisible Elements, and choose {} for Dynamic Text.[quote] > 13. Go to Config\Translators\TranslationManager.js, back it up, and save[/quote] it as a 0 byte file.[quote] > 14. Temporary disable the rendering of includes in dw Preferences:[/quote] Preferences-->Invisible Items Near bottom of listing- Render includes. That would be easier than manually erasing the TranslationManager.js file.[quote] > 15. An article on speeding MX up:[/quote] [url]http://www.dwteam.com/Articles/speedhints/index.asp[/url][quote] > 16. Uninstall Homesite > 17. disabling BBEdit Integration via Edit>Preferences>File Types/Editors?[/quote] (Mac)[quote] > > All of these suggestions (and probably many more) are temporary fudges[/quote] that do not solve the problem that really needs addressing, which is: Why is DWMX so slow at updating its files, and why is it eating up so much CPU time and memory? Not everyone wants to change their computer or update their OS just to get DW to work properly.[quote] > > Two comments that came closest to the solution IMHO were these: > > Letholas: As far as I can tell, the issue is that DWMX is parsing the[/quote] document to populate Bindings, Server Behaviors, Tag Inspector, CSS Styles, etc. Which is cool, but the bad thing is that if I change a single character and leave DWMX and come back, change files within DWMX, save it, or anything at all, it refreshes every one of these, every time.[quote] > > And "The solution is a patch from Macromedia, which will benefit [all][/quote] platforms....(reply) "There is no patch that I am aware of."[quote] > > And there the matters rests I suppose. > Monty > >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => awebb [ip] => andywebb25@hotm [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Slowing to a crawl - THE ANSWERS - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Slowing to a crawl - THE ANSWERS - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Right off the bat, I'll say that up to now NO effective longterm answer has been offered for the slow working, memory drain and high CPU use that some users are experiencing. This manifests itself in slower and slower text updates and the whole program slowing to a crawl, and sometimes crashing. The slowdown problem has been mentioned in posts going back to this time last year, and probably further back than that. A summary of the suggestions offered are: 1. Change your OS to a faster one 2. Purge all programs running in the background 3. Exclude the site ...

  1. #1

    Default Slowing to a crawl - THE ANSWERS

    Right off the bat, I'll say that up to now NO effective longterm answer has been offered for the slow working, memory drain and high CPU use that some users are experiencing. This manifests itself in slower and slower text updates and the whole program slowing to a crawl, and sometimes crashing. The slowdown problem has been mentioned in posts going back to this time last year, and probably further back than that.

    A summary of the suggestions offered are:

    1. Change your OS to a faster one
    2. Purge all programs running in the background
    3. Exclude the site folders from virus checks
    4. Turn off realtime virus checking
    5. defragment your drives
    6. do drive maintance
    7. Add more RAM to your computer
    8. don't run the site off a network drive
    9. make sure the site cache is working properly
    10. Check in dw preferences-->General tab.Is it set for delayed table editing? Tturn off instant table editing.
[...]

    Letholas: As far as I can tell, the issue is that DWMX is parsing the doent to populate Bindings, Server Behaviors, Tag Inspector, CSS Styles, etc. Which is cool, but the bad thing is that if I change a single character and leave DWMX and come back, change files within DWMX, save it, or anything at all, it refreshes every one of these, every time.

    MontyRules webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Slowing to a crawl - THE ANSWERS

    Thanks for the info.
    I saw the biggest improvement when I binned all the extensions I had, most
    of which I had downloaded for curiosity and never used.
    Andy

    awebb Guest

  3. #3

    Here's another question for you...
    If all the listed reponses are only temporary fudges and DWMX has inherent
    problems, why doesn't everyone suffer from them?
    While MX is resource hungry, and it definitely has a memory leak, there are
    people running unstable machines as well. No amount of bugfixes will rectify
    matters for them.

    As for the solution you like best, it's the reason why #4 is advocated so
    often.

    And you can add #18. Minimise DW to the taskbar regularly to release unused
    memory.

    --
    Colm
    [url]http://www.moosepucky.com/links/links.cfm[/url] > Links

    "MontyRules" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Right off the bat, I'll say that up to now NO effective longterm answer
    has been offered for the slow working, memory drain and high CPU use that
    some users are experiencing. This manifests itself in slower and slower text
    updates and the whole program slowing to a crawl, and sometimes crashing.
    The slowdown problem has been mentioned in posts going back to this time
    last year, and probably further back than that.

    colm Guest

  4. #4

    >>Here's another question for you...why doesn't everyone suffer from them?<<

    I don't know. But respectfully I would point out that "some users" as in my earlier post is not the same as "all users".

    I recognise that not everybody has this problem. If you don't, I'm happy for you. I and others DO have this problem it seems. Does that mean we do not deserve any consideration?

    At what percentage of users does it become a "real problem", or is the answer just that anyone who experiences a problem with DW has got a crappy computer?

    MontyRules webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Monty:
    > I don't know. But respectfully I would point out that "some users" as in
    my earlier post is not the same as "all users".

    Of course.
    > Does that mean we do not deserve any consideration?
    Of course not. You and those others have received quite a lot of
    consideration from the many regulars here. It just seems that all of us are
    out of ideas. Everything that *we* know of that could be causing a problem
    has been checked and discarded. Would you not agree?

    Given that some (many?) of us are not experiencing the same problems (or at
    least not with the same intensity) then the suggestion is that there is a
    further variable that has not been identified and is not being controlled?
    Short of sitting at your keyboard and examining every facet of your system,
    I can't think of a good way to identify/control that (those?) variable(s),
    can you?

    I'm truly sorry that you and others have this problem. If you cannot receive
    the help you need here, in this unofficial user-to-user forum, then your
    only recourses would be (I think) -

    1. Contact Macromedia directly, or
    2. Soldier on, or
    3. Use some other software

    Have I overlooked something?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > >>Here's another question for you...why doesn't everyone suffer from
    them?<<

    > I don't know. But respectfully I would point out that "some users" as in
    my earlier post is not the same as "all users".

    > I recognise that not everybody has this problem. If you don't, I'm happy
    for you. I and others DO have this problem it seems. Does that mean we do
    not deserve any consideration?

    > At what percentage of users does it become a "real problem", or is the
    answer just that anyone who experiences a problem with DW has got a crappy
    computer?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    >>I'm truly sorry that you and others have this problem. If you cannot receive
    the help you need here, in this unofficial user-to-user forum, then your
    only recourses would be (I think) -

    1. Contact Macromedia directly, or
    2. Soldier on, or
    3. Use some other software<<

    1. Yeah, right.
    2. Hobson's choice.
    3. I wonder if that is the solution MM would like best? It's certainly the solution I've been toying with after many long years of successful web design with DW.

    As a somewhat interesting aside, I (and "many users") had the same problem with memory-eating but to the point of complete computer freeze with the firewall from Zone Alarm. That had always been a fine product until it was re-written and began to be marketted as a commercial product; it caused computer hangs and crashes for "many" users. I ended up ditching it in favour of Sygate's (free) product since ZA would not acknowledge nor correct the "problem". I guess the only way to vote sometimes is with our feet as you so rightly say.

    MontyRules webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest