Professional Web Applications Themes

SLR for a Beginner - Photography

I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm kind of on a budget....

  1. #1

    Default SLR for a Beginner

    I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm kind
    of on a budget.

    Meeces Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SLR for a Beginner

    "Usenet User" <Invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    > <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    >
    > >I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    kind
    > >of on a budget.
    > >

    > Nikon D100

    Could not resist, but again the head up the butt reply of Usenet User. Go
    for a Pentax K-1000.

    WinkenBlinken& Nod Guest

  3. #3

    A beginner who wants to learn? Digital or film? How big do you want
    enlargements? From what you've said, I'd second the recommendation of
    a used Pentax K-1000 or even an old Spotmatic.

    Peter

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    >I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm kind
    >of on a budget.

    Digital Photography Reference
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    Health, happiness and healing
    [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]
    Peter Jones Guest

  4. #4

    Third on the K 1000, If you want to take pictures you will have to learn the
    basics and the K 1000 is basic
    "Peter Jones" <jonespm2Shaw.canada.earth> wrote in message
    > A beginner who wants to learn? Digital or film? How big do you want
    > enlargements? From what you've said, I'd second the recommendation of
    > a used Pentax K-1000 or even an old Spotmatic.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    > <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    >
    > >I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    kind
    > >of on a budget.
    > >

    > Digital Photography Reference
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    > Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    > Health, happiness and healing
    > [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]

    J Elliott Guest

  5. #5

    In article <RMpNa.38479$Xm3.8723sccrnsc02>,
    [email]fakeemailnospammailer.ihat[/email]espam says...
    > I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm kind
    > of on a budget.

    Ditto on the K1000, if you can find a clean one. But how much are you
    willing to spend? If you can swing it, consider something like an old
    Nikon FM2.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  6. #6

    Come on , he is just starting out and is, in his own words, on a budget.
    A Nikon D100, is hardly a budget camera at 1500, body only, unless your on
    David Beckham's budget, lol

    A simple second hand manual SLR, can be picked up for less than 150, and is
    much better to learn on than any of the " all the bells and whistles "
    modern automatic film or digital camera's

    I A canon EOS 30 and an EOS 300, but i alos picked up a canon A-1 as a thrid
    camera, got it from jessops complete with a 50mm, lens for 170, and a sigma
    70-200mm zoom lens for another 50, there are stil plenty of lenses and
    accessories available for it, and it can be used on fully auto , or fully
    manual, great wee camera.

    Brian.........................

    Brian Guest

  7. #7

    "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <spammelaterspam.com> wrote in message

    > "Usenet User" <Invalid> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    > > <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    > kind
    > > >of on a budget.
    > > >

    > > Nikon D100
    > >
    > Could not resist, but again the head up the butt reply of Usenet User. Go
    > for a Pentax K-1000.

    Just to clarify, the original post stated that he wished to learn film
    photography and he had a digital camera. "UsenetUser" responded with the
    D-100 comment and nothing else. He seems to be like Anika fixated on one
    thing.

    WinkenBlinken& Nod Guest

  8. #8

    I would also recommend Pentax. The ME-Super can be had for a song on
    eBay right now. And it uses standard available batteries. Good
    camera; recommended by many people.

    Here'a a couple listings as of July 5...

    [url]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2937420065&category=15 240[/url]
    [url]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2938249651&category=15 240[/url]

    jim h

    [url]http://www.jamesphotography.ca[/url]

    More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    >I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm kind
    >of on a budget.

    Jim Hutchison Guest

  9. #9

    Sorry, but i didnt see any mention of either film cameras or digital in the
    original , nor did he say he had a camera at all.

    """>I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    kind of on a budget.>""".

    That was all that was in the original post that I saw.

    Brian...................

    > "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <spammelaterspam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Usenet User" <Invalid> wrote in message

    I'm
    > > kind
    > > > >

    > > > Nikon D100
    > > >
    > > Could not resist, but again the head up the butt reply of Usenet User.
    Go
    > > for a Pentax K-1000.
    > >

    > Just to clarify, the original post stated that he wished to learn film
    > photography and he had a digital camera. "UsenetUser" responded with the
    > D-100 comment and nothing else. He seems to be like Anika fixated on one
    > thing.

    Brian Guest

  10. #10

    if you want a camera with all the bells and whistles, plus manual controls
    so you can learn them... look for a Canon Rebel 2000

    If you're looking more for a "classic" full manual camera, look for a Canon
    AE-1. great camera, the one I have is over 25 years old, but works
    perfectly... if you can get it with a manual, you'll be in for a lot of fun
    and learning, otherwise, a headache ;)

    you can find these guys on ebay

    good luck

    "Meeces" <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote in message
    > I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    kind
    > of on a budget.

    Whatevah Guest

  11. #11

    My own feeling is that "bells and whistles", make us lazy in photography,
    the correct way to learn would be by using a fully manual or semi auto.
    like the A series canons, then you can move to the ultra expensive do it all
    themselves camera's and lenses.
    Camera's from the late 70's upto maybe the end of the 80's are, I think, the
    best to learn on, Olympus OM10, canon A series, Pentax ES, etc.

    You can get a manual online for a canon AE-1, and most other canon's. My A-1
    came minus a manual , and it was a nightmare trying to figure out how it
    worked til i found this site, now at least I know how to turn it off and not
    use a battery every week, lol
    [url]http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm[/url]

    Brian...............

    "Whatevah" <whatevahdespammed.com> wrote in message
    > if you want a camera with all the bells and whistles, plus manual controls
    > so you can learn them... look for a Canon Rebel 2000
    >
    > If you're looking more for a "classic" full manual camera, look for a
    Canon
    > AE-1. great camera, the one I have is over 25 years old, but works
    > perfectly... if you can get it with a manual, you'll be in for a lot of
    fun
    > and learning, otherwise, a headache ;)
    >
    > you can find these guys on ebay
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > "Meeces" <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote in message
    > > I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    > kind
    > > of on a budget.

    Brian Guest

  12. #12

    x-no-archive: yes

    For a more comprehensive article extolling the advantages of older manual
    SLRs, check this link:

    [url]http://www.photo.net/equipment/beaters[/url]

    For a "hand-on" description of using an old 35mm manual camera, as opposed
    to the new ones with all the electronic bells and whistles, check this link:

    [url]http://www.photo.net/equipment/35mm/old-slrs[/url]

    Jeremy Guest

  13. #13

    I still use a Canon F1 Oldstyle, but I also have two FTb's as backups, and
    they can be had relatively cheaply. For what it's worth they both have
    mirror-lockup, which I like. They also take either FD lenses or FL lenses,
    which can be cheaper (the FL lenses use stop-down metering, which is not a
    hassle for me).

    I agree with other posts, the Canon A series is fine, the Pentax K1000 is
    the classic learner's camera, and I think an Olympus OM-1 would also be
    good.
    Steve S.

    "Whatevah" <whatevahdespammed.com> wrote in message
    > if you want a camera with all the bells and whistles, plus manual controls
    > so you can learn them... look for a Canon Rebel 2000
    >
    > If you're looking more for a "classic" full manual camera, look for a
    Canon
    > AE-1. great camera, the one I have is over 25 years old, but works
    > perfectly... if you can get it with a manual, you'll be in for a lot of
    fun
    > and learning, otherwise, a headache ;)
    >
    > you can find these guys on ebay
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > "Meeces" <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote in message
    > > I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera? I'm
    > kind
    > > of on a budget.

    Steve S. Guest

  14. #14

    In article <6umcgvgdepjq68i5phnko59ipqct94bdan4ax.com>,
    [email]colyngswbell.net[/email] says...
    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:45:28 -0500, "Ric Trexell" <rtrexellvbe.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Meeces: I would avoid a Pentax Spotmatic, not because it is not a great
    > >camera or that it would not be good to learn on. Some of those old cameras
    > >took Mercury batteries for the meter and they are hard to get in the U.S.
    > >
    > The Pentax Spotmatic cameras used a bridge metering circuit which is
    > un-affected by small voltage changes. As a result the 377 or 386
    > silver oxide battery will work fine without having to re-calibrate the
    > meter. These batteries can be found at radio shack..
    >

    > ************************************************** **
    > ************************************************** **
    > Colyn Goodson
    >
    > Ft. Worth, Texas
    >
    > [url]http://home.swbell.net/colyng[/url]
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com[/url]
    >
    > 625 and 675 mercury battery fix
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm[/url]
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm[/url]
    >
    > Camera manuals
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm[/url]
    >
    > For Sale
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.htm[/url]

    So? The meter still doesn't have a voltage regulator. That is the heart
    of the problem. Not the actual voltage. Merc had a flat discharge
    "curve". Silver, Alk, etc do not.

  15. #15

    > As you can see the silver cells closely approximate mercury batteries
    > in both life span and voltage curve. They are also very stable
    > throughout their life span..
    Well cool. I didn't know that.

  16. #16

    x-no-archive: yes
    > > As you can see the silver cells closely approximate mercury batteries
    > > in both life span and voltage curve. They are also very stable
    > > throughout their life span..
    >
    > Well cool. I didn't know that.
    This thread is on recommending an SLR for a *Beginner.*

    Somehow, I don't think that a newbie should be having to confront such
    things as the mercury battery dilemma.

    Thus, even though I am a confirmed Spotmatic addict, having 5 bodies and
    having used them exclusively when shooting in 35mm format over the past 30
    years, I wouldn't recommend a Spotmatic to a newbie.

    How about a nice FM3a--there's a new camera that one can grow with. Can
    always use it as a spare, if one wants to go with something that is fully
    automated.

    If money were no object, I'd recommend the Leicaflex, hands down. A good
    selection of prime lenses, metal barrels, metal camera body, company that is
    committed to quality, excellent optics, and they don't change their
    equipment every other year.

    There is a school of thought that says to start out with the best equipment
    one can buy, and don't bother switching from one brand to another, over a
    period of years. But that is if money is no object.

    Jeremy Guest

  17. #17

    x-no-archive: yes

    "Steve S." <ssake1> wrote in message
    > I still use a Canon F1 Oldstyle, but I also have two FTb's as backups, and
    > they can be had relatively cheaply. For what it's worth they both have
    > mirror-lockup, which I like. They also take either FD lenses or FL lenses,
    > which can be cheaper (the FL lenses use stop-down metering, which is not a
    > hassle for me).
    >
    > I agree with other posts, the Canon A series is fine, the Pentax K1000 is
    > the classic learner's camera, and I think an Olympus OM-1 would also be
    > good.

    You'd think that somebody would make a reasonably-priced classic manual
    camera, like the k-1000, wouldn't you? It would sell in the millions.

    Jeremy Guest

  18. #18

    "Jeremy" <jeremyno-spam-thanks.com> wrote in message
    news:dd2Oa.85005$Io.7586568newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > "Steve S." <ssake1> wrote in message
    > > I still use a Canon F1 Oldstyle, but I also have two FTb's as backups,
    and
    > > they can be had relatively cheaply. For what it's worth they both have
    > > mirror-lockup, which I like. They also take either FD lenses or FL
    lenses,
    > > which can be cheaper (the FL lenses use stop-down metering, which is not
    > > hassle for me).
    > >
    > > I agree with other posts, the Canon A series is fine, the Pentax K1000
    is
    > > the classic learner's camera, and I think an Olympus OM-1 would also be
    > > good.
    >

    > You'd think that somebody would make a reasonably-priced classic manual
    > camera, like the k-1000, wouldn't you? It would sell in the millions.

    Is this not such a camera, the Centon K100 - I don't know what its like, but
    I think it's had good reviews. Is see Jessops in the UK have it on their
    website: [url]http://www.jessops.com/[/url]

    Foxy Guest

  19. #19

    Erm ... she actually. Film camera is my camera of choice.

    Well Brian said this and Brian said that ... but did you know that
    Brian said
    > Sorry, but i didnt see any mention of either film cameras or digital
    > in the original , nor did he say he had a camera at all.
    >
    > """>I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter
    > camera? I'm kind of on a budget.>""".
    >
    > That was all that was in the original post that I saw.
    >
    > Brian...................
    >

    > "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <spammelaterspam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <spammelaterspam.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Usenet User" <Invalid> wrote in message

    >>> Could not resist, but again the head up the butt reply of Usenet
    >>> User.
    > Go
    >>> for a Pentax K-1000.
    >>>

    >> Just to clarify, the original post stated that he wished to learn
    >> film photography and he had a digital camera. "UsenetUser" responded
    >> with the D-100 comment and nothing else. He seems to be like Anika
    >> fixated on one thing.

    Meeces Guest

  20. #20

    Film. I like digital cameras but I prefer film :)

    Angie

    Well Peter Jones said this and Peter Jones said that ... but did you
    know that Peter Jones said
    > A beginner who wants to learn? Digital or film? How big do you want
    > enlargements? From what you've said, I'd second the recommendation of
    > a used Pentax K-1000 or even an old Spotmatic.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:24:01 GMT, "Meeces"
    > <fakeemailnospammailer.ihatespam> wrote:
    >
    >> I love photography and was wondering what's a good starter camera?
    >> I'm kind of on a budget.
    >>

    > Digital Photography Reference
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    > Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    > [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    > Health, happiness and healing
    > [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]

    Meeces Guest