Professional Web Applications Themes

Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi everyone, Ive searched here and elsewhere and have not seen anything on this topic. Has anyone else experienced this? Have tips on improving it? The 3d performance of my shockwave application is just fine, but the IE browser behaves badly, hyperlinks are slow to hilight when you rollover and most noticibly a frame scrolls very slowly, y instead of smooth. In Firefox the browser runs just fine. I see this in ie7, but i never had a chance to test on ie6. Ive only tested it on Windows XP. Im running a pentiumM at 1.6Ghz. I notice this effect ...

  1. #1

    Default Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer

    Hi everyone,
    Ive searched here and elsewhere and have not seen anything on this topic. Has
    anyone else experienced this? Have tips on improving it?

    The 3d performance of my shockwave application is just fine, but the IE
    browser behaves badly, hyperlinks are slow to hilight when you rollover and
    most noticibly a frame scrolls very slowly, y instead of smooth. In Firefox
    the browser runs just fine. I see this in ie7, but i never had a chance to test
    on ie6. Ive only tested it on Windows XP. Im running a pentiumM at 1.6Ghz. I
    notice this effect even in the simplest of files with just an imported w3d
    model sitting on the first frame with no scripting at all.

    I put together a test page for anyone who is curious, you can see performance
    of a number of SIMPLE shockwave files:
    http://www.dandelion.org/clients/ietest/frames.htm
    (Just try scrolling the side frame).

    Hope i have included all the critical information.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks, topher

    topherzee Guest

  2. #2

    Strange... I see it too. IE6. I have files with much more happening and
    scrolling is perfectly smooth. Does the box/boxes have too many faces? What
    frame rate are you trying to run at? Why are the files named .DIR and
    protected... I couldn't open them.

    tedalde2 Guest

  3. #3

    tedalde,
    Thanks for taking a look! Im glad to hear that you have had better performance
    on other shockwave files.
    My files are set to 30 frames per second tempo. The model with just the cube
    is REALLY simple. IE seems to slow down when the texture gets large 1024x1024
    pixels. Still seems wierd. THe shockwave files run fine, its just the browser
    itself that gets clunky.

    I didnt understand what you meant about the files being named ".dir" and
    protected? The left frame links to 5 different html files, and each html file
    has a differnet .dcr embedded. How did you encounter dir files?

    But, dir files might help! I did add a link to a zip file that contains the
    ..dir director files incase you had time to take a peak at them. They are
    extremely simple - i just wonder if I have some odd configuration settings that
    slow ie down somehow.

    http://www.dandelion.org/clients/ietest/frames.htm

    Thanks again!
    -Topher

    topherzee Guest

  4. #4

    Just tried exporting a dcr again after taking out some extra xtras that were in there. But it did not help.
    topherzee Guest

  5. #5

    Sorry, I copied the DCR out of my cache and it got renamed DIR automatically. I put the DCR in a simple HTML page, no frames, etc. and scrolling was OK... did you try that?
    tedalde2 Guest

  6. #6

    tedalde, I tried what you said, and then just progressively changed the
    parameters and bingo, the culprit is the swStretchParameter which I have set to
    "fill". When I set the swStretchParameter to "none", then the file runs great
    in IE.

    So thanks for your help in tracking this down! Unfortunately it's not really a
    solution, IE should still run fast in stretchmode, at least Firefox does.

    Just to round out this thread, this parameter is controlled in the Director
    "Publish" dialog box on the HTML tab by the "Stretch Style" control. Here are
    my results:

    Control: swStretchStyle parameter
    Stretch To Fill fill -> Very slow ie
    Expand to Stage Size stage -> medium slow ie.
    Preserve Proportions meet = ->medium slow ie.
    No Stretching none = ->Fast ie.

    **

    Would love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts or comments on this.

    -topher

    topherzee Guest