Professional Web Applications Themes

smart media and .trashes files - Mac Applications & Software

I have a Sandisk card reader and have noticed after using it with my iMac the Smart media card will not accept its normal limt of photos. I reformat the card and then it works. If I look at the card with my PC it has some Mac files, .trashes for one, is there a way to tell the Mac to remove these files with out running to my PC or reformating the card with the camera after each use with the iMac? Camera is an older Olympus, no USB to connect directly to the iMac. Also, no AC adapter. ...

  1. #1

    Default smart media and .trashes files

    I have a Sandisk card reader and have noticed after using it with my
    iMac the Smart media card will not accept its normal limt of photos. I
    reformat the card and then it works. If I look at the card with my PC
    it has some Mac files, .trashes for one, is there a way to tell the Mac
    to remove these files with out running to my PC or reformating the card
    with the camera after each use with the iMac?
    Camera is an older Olympus, no USB to connect directly to the iMac.
    Also, no AC adapter.
    -Carrie (I should have bought stock in a battery company!)

    Carrie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: smart media and .trashes files

    In article <3ef84f80news>, Carrie <carlson-nospam123.net-nospam>
    wrote:
    > I have a Sandisk card reader and have noticed after using it with my
    > iMac the Smart media card will not accept its normal limt of photos. I
    > reformat the card and then it works. If I look at the card with my PC
    > it has some Mac files, .trashes for one, is there a way to tell the Mac
    > to remove these files with out running to my PC or reformating the card
    > with the camera after each use with the iMac?
    > Camera is an older Olympus, no USB to connect directly to the iMac.
    > Also, no AC adapter.
    > -Carrie (I should have bought stock in a battery company!)

    Based on previous postings and my own experience, general rule seems to
    be to only *read* from the card while it's in your computer, *never*
    write to it.

    To download photos from card, best procedure is to open the card icon on
    the desktop and drag one of the folders from the card (or alternatively
    all the enclosed fotos in the folder) either into a *pre-existing* "new
    fotos" folder on your desktop, or onto your hard disk.

    Don't just drag items from the card to your desktop -- that's not
    copying them to your computer's desktop, it's putting them on a desktop
    *for the card* -- and (I think) creating a hidden desktop folder on the
    card itself. It also means they'll go away when you eject the card.

    Alternatively, you can Option-drag from the card to your desktop -- that
    does a Copy, not a Move.

    Then, just for safety, eject the card before processing the downloaded
    fotos.
    AES/newspost Guest

  3. #3

    AES/newspost wrote:
    > In article <3ef84f80news>, Carrie <carlson-nospam123.net-nospam>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Sandisk card reader and have noticed after using it with my
    >>iMac the Smart media card will not accept its normal limt of photos. I
    >>reformat the card and then it works. If I look at the card with my PC
    >>it has some Mac files, .trashes for one, is there a way to tell the Mac
    >>to remove these files with out running to my PC or reformating the card
    >>with the camera after each use with the iMac?
    >>Camera is an older Olympus, no USB to connect directly to the iMac.
    >>Also, no AC adapter.
    >>-Carrie (I should have bought stock in a battery company!)
    >>

    > Based on previous postings and my own experience, general rule seems to
    > be to only *read* from the card while it's in your computer, *never*
    > write to it.
    >
    > To download photos from card, best procedure is to open the card icon on
    > the desktop and drag one of the folders from the card (or alternatively
    > all the enclosed fotos in the folder) either into a *pre-existing* "new
    > fotos" folder on your desktop, or onto your hard disk.
    >
    > Don't just drag items from the card to your desktop -- that's not
    > copying them to your computer's desktop, it's putting them on a desktop
    > *for the card* -- and (I think) creating a hidden desktop folder on the
    > card itself. It also means they'll go away when you eject the card.
    >
    > Alternatively, you can Option-drag from the card to your desktop -- that
    > does a Copy, not a Move.
    >
    > Then, just for safety, eject the card before processing the downloaded
    > fotos.
    Hum, I thought I was copying the files, not moving them. I will try the
    option-drag thing, thanks.

    Also thanks to J. for the suggestion of empyting the trash before
    ejecting the card.
    -Carrie

    Carrie Guest