Professional Web Applications Themes

SMB signing --> does it encrypt packets going across the wire? - Windows Server

Gurus, Say you have files on a file server which are very confidential. One can use EFS to encrypt them there but a packet sniffer can read the contents as they go across the wire. There are ways to secure them across the wire, and one of them is IPSec. But, one could also save them on a Web Server and use Certificates/SSL to protect the transported packets from prying eyes. I have also heard about SMB signing, although don't really understand it. Does SMB signing also encrypt packets going across the wire??...

  1. #1

    Default SMB signing --> does it encrypt packets going across the wire?

    Gurus,

    Say you have files on a file server which are very confidential. One can
    use EFS to encrypt them there but a packet sniffer can read the contents as
    they go across the wire. There are ways to secure them across the wire, and
    one of them is IPSec. But, one could also save them on a Web Server and use
    Certificates/SSL to protect the transported packets from prying eyes. I
    have also heard about SMB signing, although don't really understand it.
    Does SMB signing also encrypt packets going across the wire??

    Spin Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    SMB signed packets are not encrypted. They are just signed and protected
    against so called man in the middle attack. If someone would capture a
    packet from PCa to PCb and changed something, ending server would figure out
    that packet didn't came from PCa and would discard the packet...

    My advice. Use IPSec (if you are in controlled environment - domain
    environment). If you need to share this files with other on the internet in
    secure way, then use SSL...

    Mike

    "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message
    > Gurus,
    >
    > Say you have files on a file server which are very confidential. One can
    > use EFS to encrypt them there but a packet sniffer can read the contents
    > as
    > they go across the wire. There are ways to secure them across the wire,
    > and
    > one of them is IPSec. But, one could also save them on a Web Server and
    > use
    > Certificates/SSL to protect the transported packets from prying eyes. I
    > have also heard about SMB signing, although don't really understand it.
    > Does SMB signing also encrypt packets going across the wire??

    Miha Pihler Guest

  3. #3

    Hello,

    SMB does not encrypt the packet, it only "guarantees" that the packet was
    not changed when transmitted between the devices.

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

    "Spin" <Spinspin.com> wrote in message
    > Gurus,
    >
    > Say you have files on a file server which are very confidential. One can
    > use EFS to encrypt them there but a packet sniffer can read the contents
    as
    > they go across the wire. There are ways to secure them across the wire,
    and
    > one of them is IPSec. But, one could also save them on a Web Server and
    use
    > Certificates/SSL to protect the transported packets from prying eyes. I
    > have also heard about SMB signing, although don't really understand it.
    > Does SMB signing also encrypt packets going across the wire??

    Kristofer Gafvert Guest