Professional Web Applications Themes

SMC 2804WRP-G router setup - Mac Networking

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default SMC 2804WRP-G router setup

    Removed by Administrator
    Uli Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: SMC 2804WRP-G router setup

    Removed by Administrator
    noman Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Uli Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    On 2004-05-15, Uli Wienands <slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

    It's not exactly the same model for sure. This one includes both
    802.11b and 802.11g, plus a four-port wired 10/100 switch. It doesn't
    have printer support or usb.

    According to the status page mine is running 1.10 (June 17 2003).

    I was expecting that the gui and firmware would be more or less
    identical to yours but now it's sounding like this might not be the
    case.

    Nonetheless, I'll describe in more detail how the web interface on
    mine behaves.

    The first step with mine is to provide the password, after which I
    select "Advanced Setup" (as opposed to "Setup Wizard"). This presents
    a page with a list of selectable items in a column on the left and a
    status and log display in the main body of the page.

    One of the selectable items is called "Firewall". If I select that,
    the column on the left displays some new entries nested under the
    "Firewall" entry: Access Control, MAC Filter, URL Blocking, Schedule
    Rule, Intrusion Detection, DMZ. The main body now contains a little
    descripive text plus the top-level enable/disable buttons for
    firewalling in general:

    Enable or disable Firewall features: <> Enable <> Disable

    where the <> are radio buttons. It also an "Apply" button in the
    bottom right corner. No changes take effect until the Apply button is
    clicked.

    I believe the disable setting here will disable all firewall features
    at once, while the enable button allows the subsettings, each of which
    has its own enable/disable control, to be enabled.

    Next I would select "MAC Filter" from newly expanded list. Now the
    main page looks as follows:

    [a few lines of descriptive text]

    MAC Address Control <> Yes <> No

    MAC Filter Table (up to 32 computers)

    ID MAC Address

    [32 lines, each with a line number (the ID), and 6 two-character text
    boxes (MAC address)]

    [Handy popup menu to automatically add the MAC address of any
    computer that's currently connected]

    Help Apply Cancel

    To configure this, I added the address entries first, then clicked
    the "Yes" radio button, then the "Apply" button. Since the MAC
    address of the computer I was using at the time was in the list, I
    had no access problems once it was enabled.

    I don't remember but I tried it just now. Looks like the sub-entries
    of "Firewall" are not displayed if the top-level access is set to
    "Disable". I should mention that I'm seeing some problems using
    Safari here, in particular when clicking the "Apply" button. Camino
    works better.

    noman Guest

  5. #5

    In article <UNopc.6232$qA.675196attbi_s51>,
    noman <net> wrote:

    > It's not exactly the same model for sure. This one includes both
    > 802.11b and 802.11g, plus a four-port wired 10/100 switch. It doesn't
    > have printer support or usb.
    >

    > According to the status page mine is running 1.10 (June 17 2003).
    >
    > I was expecting that the gui and firmware would be more or less
    > identical to yours but now it's sounding like this might not be the
    > case.
    >

    > Nonetheless, I'll describe in more detail how the web interface on
    > mine behaves.
    >

    > The first step with mine is to provide the password, after which I
    > select "Advanced Setup" (as opposed to "Setup Wizard"). This presents
    > a page with a list of selectable items in a column on the left and a
    > status and log display in the main body of the page.
    >
    > One of the selectable items is called "Firewall". If I select that,
    > the column on the left displays some new entries nested under the
    > "Firewall" entry: Access Control, MAC Filter, URL Blocking, Schedule
    > Rule, Intrusion Detection, DMZ. The main body now contains a little
    > descripive text plus the top-level enable/disable buttons for
    > firewalling in general:
    >
    > Enable or disable Firewall features: <> Enable <> Disable
    >
    > where the <> are radio buttons. It also an "Apply" button in the
    > bottom right corner. No changes take effect until the Apply button is
    > clicked.
    >
    > I believe the disable setting here will disable all firewall features
    > at once, while the enable button allows the subsettings, each of which
    > has its own enable/disable control, to be enabled.
    >

    > Next I would select "MAC Filter" from newly expanded list. Now the
    > main page looks as follows:
    >
    > [a few lines of descriptive text]
    >
    > MAC Address Control <> Yes <> No
    >
    > MAC Filter Table (up to 32 computers)
    >
    > ID MAC Address
    >
    > [32 lines, each with a line number (the ID), and 6 two-character text
    > boxes (MAC address)]
    >
    > [Handy popup menu to automatically add the MAC address of any
    > computer that's currently connected]
    >

    > Help Apply Cancel
    >

    > To configure this, I added the address entries first, then clicked
    > the "Yes" radio button, then the "Apply" button. Since the MAC
    > address of the computer I was using at the time was in the list, I
    > had no access problems once it was enabled.
    >

    > I don't remember but I tried it just now. Looks like the sub-entries
    > of "Firewall" are not displayed if the top-level access is set to
    > "Disable". I should mention that I'm seeing some problems using
    > Safari here, in particular when clicking the "Apply" button. Camino
    > works better.[/ref]

    Ok, they do look similar (I have the 4-port LAN switch as well).
    But the clue is your last assertion, the "firewall" subentries are not
    shown when the top-level is set to "Disabled". Looks like I should d/l
    Camino (that will be my 6th or so browser...).

    Anyway, thanks very much. Too late to futz around now but will let you
    know how it went.

    Uli
    Uli Guest