Professional Web Applications Themes

SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - PHP Programming

The full error is as follows: Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - for help go to [url]http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html[/url] in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php on line 10 I receive the error above when I attempt to send mail via a PHP script. From what I have read the PHP mail() function does not support Authenticated SMTP, just uses SMTP on the localhost, or that configured in the PHP.ini file. What I was reading suggested to use the PEAR functions. Hm... after looking that the functions PEAR provides PEAR may not work on a WIN machine. OR maybe I don't understand ...

  1. #1

    Default SMTP server response: 530 authentication required

    The full error is as follows:

    Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - for
    help go to [url]http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html[/url] in c:\program
    files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php on line 10

    I receive the error above when I attempt to send mail via a PHP script.
    From what I have read the PHP mail() function does not support Authenticated
    SMTP, just uses SMTP on the localhost, or that configured in the PHP.ini
    file.

    What I was reading suggested to use the PEAR functions. Hm... after looking
    that the functions PEAR provides PEAR may not work on a WIN machine. OR
    maybe I don't understand what I have read. Yep I am learning PHP.

    How do I get around this situation?

    Terabyte Guest

  2. #2

    Hello,

    On 10/17/2004 06:13 PM, Terabyte wrote:
    > The full error is as follows:
    >
    > Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - for
    > help go to [url]http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html[/url] in c:\program
    > files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php on line 10
    >
    > I receive the error above when I attempt to send mail via a PHP script.
    > From what I have read the PHP mail() function does not support Authenticated
    > SMTP, just uses SMTP on the localhost, or that configured in the PHP.ini
    > file.
    >
    > What I was reading suggested to use the PEAR functions. Hm... after looking
    > that the functions PEAR provides PEAR may not work on a WIN machine. OR
    > maybe I don't understand what I have read. Yep I am learning PHP.
    >
    > How do I get around this situation?
    You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named
    smtp_mail(). It emulates the mail() function, except that it makes your
    message be routed to a SMTP server of choice authenticating if necessary
    like in your case:

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage[/url]

    You also need these auxiliary classes to make the actual SMTP delivery
    and authentication:

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass[/url]

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/sasl[/url]

    --

    Regards,
    Manuel Lemos

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/[/url]

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/[/url]

    [url]http://www.meta-language.net/metastorage.html[/url]

    Manuel Lemos Guest

  3. #3

    "Manuel Lemos" <mlemos@acm.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named
    > smtp_mail(). It emulates the mail() function, except that it makes your
    > message be routed to a SMTP server of choice authenticating if necessary
    > like in your case:
    >
    > [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage[/url]
    >
    > You also need these auxiliary classes to make the actual SMTP delivery
    > and authentication:
    >
    > [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass[/url]
    >
    > [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/sasl[/url]
    > Regards,
    > Manuel Lemos
    Oh my god! I went to [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage[/url] . Never in a
    million years would I expect to hear from you!
    There are several classes that are available on those pages. I am not sure
    which one I should download. Which ones should I download?

    I am new to PHP so I find all this to be overwhelming. I am using Windows
    2000 Pro SP3. I have successfully installed MYSql, Apache & PHP on my
    laptop. To learn PHP I am using a book written by Julie Meloni - PHP
    fast&easy web development.

    Thanks Manuel!

    Terabyte Guest

  4. #4

    Hello,

    On 10/17/2004 11:54 PM, Terabyte wrote:
    >>You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named
    >>smtp_mail(). It emulates the mail() function, except that it makes your
    >>message be routed to a SMTP server of choice authenticating if necessary
    >> like in your case:
    >>
    >>[url]http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage[/url]
    >>
    >>You also need these auxiliary classes to make the actual SMTP delivery
    >>and authentication:
    >>
    >>[url]http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass[/url]
    >>
    >>[url]http://www.phpclasses.org/sasl[/url]
    >

    > Oh my god! I went to [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage[/url] . Never in a
    > million years would I expect to hear from you!
    > There are several classes that are available on those pages. I am not sure
    > which one I should download. Which ones should I download?
    It is probably easier to download everything in .zip archives using the
    download button and unpack all in a single directory. Anyway, you do not
    need everything.

    From mimemessage:

    email_message.php
    smtp_message.php
    smtp_mail.php
    test_smtp_mail.php (this one is just for testing).

    From smtpclass:

    smtp.php

    From sasl:

    sasl.php
    cram_md5_sasl_client.php
    login_sasl_client.php
    plain_sasl_client.php (One of these last 3 will do but it depends on
    your SMTP server)

    > I am new to PHP so I find all this to be overwhelming. I am using Windows
    Indeed. If this was simple, PHP would probably have built-in SMTP
    authentication support. But your problem is quite common among Windows
    users in particular.

  5. #5

    > It is probably easier to download everything in .zip archives using the
    > download button and unpack all in a single directory. Anyway, you do not
    > need everything.
    >
    > From mimemessage:
    > email_message.php
    > smtp_message.php
    > smtp_mail.php
    > test_smtp_mail.php (this one is just for testing).
    >
    > From smtpclass:
    > smtp.php
    >
    > From sasl:
    > sasl.php
    > cram_md5_sasl_client.php
    > login_sasl_client.php
    > plain_sasl_client.php (One of these last 3 will do but it depends on
    > your SMTP server)
    > Regards,
    > Manuel Lemos
    Thank you Manuel for the download outline!
    1) I assume that these files are placed in the c:/program files/Apache
    Group/apache/htdocs, that is were my PHP scripts are located.
    2) I assume that one of the mimemessage files is used to call smtp.php. If
    so which one?
    3) From sasl -> One of the last three will work with my SMTP server. Do I
    choose which one via sasl.php?
    3) I noticed that I will need to feel in/customize the PHP file(s) at the
    top correct?

    I am sorry about all of the questions. As I said earlier I am new to all of
    this... I guess I have jumped in head first

    Thanks Manuel for all of your help!

    Terabyte Guest

  6. #6

    Hello,

    On 10/18/2004 01:20 PM, Terabyte wrote:
    >>It is probably easier to download everything in .zip archives using the
    >>download button and unpack all in a single directory. Anyway, you do not
    >>need everything.
    >>
    >> From mimemessage:
    >>email_message.php
    >>smtp_message.php
    >>smtp_mail.php
    >>test_smtp_mail.php (this one is just for testing).
    >>
    >> From smtpclass:
    >>smtp.php
    >>
    >> From sasl:
    >>sasl.php
    >>cram_md5_sasl_client.php
    >>login_sasl_client.php
    >>plain_sasl_client.php (One of these last 3 will do but it depends on
    >>your SMTP server)
    >

    > Thank you Manuel for the download outline!
    > 1) I assume that these files are placed in the c:/program files/Apache
    > Group/apache/htdocs, that is were my PHP scripts are located.
    They should be in your include path, not necessarily in that location.
    You may also add a full or relative path prefix in the require/include
    statement so you can include them from a different path . It is not wise
    to make included files available in a directory accessible via the Web
    as it make grant undesired access to anonymous users.

    > 2) I assume that one of the mimemessage files is used to call smtp.php. If
    > so which one?
    The smtp_message.php file contains a class that uses it for performing
    the actual SMTP delivery.

    > 3) From sasl -> One of the last three will work with my SMTP server. Do I
    > choose which one via sasl.php?
    No, that is part of the protocolo negotiation with the SMTP server. The
    sasl_client_class will include the class file that implements the
    authentication mechanism that is supported by your SMTP server.

    > 3) I noticed that I will need to feel in/customize the PHP file(s) at the
    > top correct?
    Just smtp_mail.php to specify the authentication credentials.

  7. #7

    Muito obrigado Manuel! Os manuscritos trabalham!

    Terabyte Guest

  8. #8

    On Oct 17, 2004 04:13pm, [email]TERABYTE@ROGERS.COM[/email] wrote to ALL:
    > The full error is as follows:
    > Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 authentication
    required - for
    > help go to [url]http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html[/url] in
    > c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php
    on line 10
    Your ISP doesn't provide you with a SMTP server and e-mail
    account? Good Grief, what are you using, MSN? If your ISP is too
    lame to provide you with a SMTP server, then run your own... It'd be
    the next best thing....

    .... Platinum Xpress & Wildcat!..... Nice!!!!
    John Guillory Guest