Professional Web Applications Themes

SMTPMAIL on Windows Server 2003 - ASP.NET General

We just moved an ASP.Net app to a Windows 2003 Server, and the SMTPMail fails now with the following message: [COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. ] [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0 System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473 System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +58 [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.] System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +112 System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846 System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) ...

  1. #1

    Default SMTPMAIL on Windows Server 2003

    ]

    [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    invocation.]
    System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
    String[] namedParameters) +0
    System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
    CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
    System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    methodName, Object[] args) +58

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
    System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    methodName, Object[] args) +112
    System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object iProfile) +945
    SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender, EventArgs
    e) +2109

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33

    I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any
    remedies?

    --
    TIA,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Complex things are made up of
    lots of simple things.

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SMTPMAIL on Windows Server 2003

    Thanks Ray. Yes, the code is fine. It broke when we moved the site from a
    Windows 2000 Server to a new Windows 2003 Server. I will check the
    permissions, although ASP.Net is running under the SYSTEM account. I did
    find CDOSYS.DLL on the machine, and found its' registry entries.

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks,

    "Ray Dixon [MVP]" <rayNOSPAM.greeble.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > According to these docs, System.Web.Mail should work on Windows Server
    2003
    > just fine.
    >
    > Have you set the SmtpServer property? Also, I would check the permissions
    > on the mailroot folder and its subfolders. I found a couple of posts
    > mentioning that as a problem with the ASPNET account.
    >

    > --
    > Ray Dixon - Microsoft MVP
    > [email]rayNOSPAM.greeble.com[/email]
    > (remove NOSPAM. from my e-mail address for a direct reply)
    >

    > "Kevin Spencer" <kevintakempis.com> wrote in message
    > > We just moved an ASP.Net app to a Windows 2003 Server, and the SMTPMail
    > > fails now with the following message:
    > >
    > > [COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is
    > invalid.
    > > ]
    > >
    > > [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of
    an
    > > invocation.]
    > > System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
    > invokeAttr,
    > > Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
    > > String[] namedParameters) +0
    > > System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    > > Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[]
    > modifiers,
    > > CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
    > > System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    > > methodName, Object[] args) +58
    > >
    > > [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
    > > System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    > > methodName, Object[] args) +112
    > > System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    > > System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object iProfile)
    > +945
    > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender,
    EventArgs
    > > e) +2109
    > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    > > stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    > > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
    +33
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1258
    > >
    > > I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any
    > > remedies?
    > >
    > > --
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Kevin Spencer
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > .Net Developer
    > > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > > Complex things are made up of
    > > lots of simple things.

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kevin,

    According to these docs, System.Web.Mail should work on Windows Server 2003
    just fine.

    Have you set the SmtpServer property? Also, I would check the permissions
    on the mailroot folder and its subfolders. I found a couple of posts
    mentioning that as a problem with the ASPNET account.

    --
    Ray Dixon - Microsoft MVP
    [email]rayNOSPAM.greeble.com[/email]
    (remove NOSPAM. from my e-mail address for a direct reply)

    "Kevin Spencer" <kevintakempis.com> wrote in message
    > We just moved an ASP.Net app to a Windows 2003 Server, and the SMTPMail
    > fails now with the following message:
    >
    > [COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is
    invalid.
    > ]
    >
    > [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    > invocation.]
    > System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
    invokeAttr,
    > Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
    > String[] namedParameters) +0
    > System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    > Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[]
    modifiers,
    > CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
    > System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    > methodName, Object[] args) +58
    >
    > [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
    > System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
    > methodName, Object[] args) +112
    > System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    > System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object iProfile)
    +945
    > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender, EventArgs
    > e) +2109
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    > stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
    >
    > I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any
    > remedies?
    >
    > --
    > TIA,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft MVP
    > .Net Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Complex things are made up of
    > lots of simple things.

    Ray Dixon [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    FWIW, I have seen the "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object" error before
    when the ASPNET user did not have access to the CDO dll.

    --
    James J. Foster, DotNetCoders
    [url]http://www.dotnetcoders.com[/url]

    James J. Foster Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Ray,

    New piece of info: I can run this from my development (XP Pro) machine (same
    LAN) without any problems. So I doubt that it's a permission issue. Any

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  6. #6

    This app is running under the "SYSTEM" account. Also, I can run this app
    from my dev machine (Windows XP Pro) without a hitch. I'm really beginning
    to think that it's something about that Windows 2003 OS on that machine. Are
    there any OS components you think I need to install that aren't installed?

    Thanks again,

    "James J. Foster" <jamesdotnetcoders.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    > > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object
    iProfile)
    > > +945
    > > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender,
    > EventArgs
    > > > e) +2109
    > > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    > > > stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    > > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    > > > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    > > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
    > +33
    > > > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1258
    > > >
    > > > I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  7. #7

    We finally figured it out. The error message was confusing. The code didn't
    specify an SMTP Server, and the SMTP Server wasn't installed on that
    machine. As SMTPMail uses the local server by default, well, you can guess
    the rest.

    Thanks all,

    > This app is running under the "SYSTEM" account. Also, I can run this app
    > from my dev machine (Windows XP Pro) without a hitch. I'm really beginning
    > to think that it's something about that Windows 2003 OS on that machine.
    Are
    > there any OS components you think I need to install that aren't installed?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft MVP
    > .Net Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Complex things are made up of
    > lots of simple things.
    >
    > "James J. Foster" <jamesdotnetcoders.com> wrote in message
    > > FWIW, I have seen the "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object" error
    before
    > > when the ASPNET user did not have access to the CDO dll.
    > >
    > > --
    > > James J. Foster, DotNetCoders
    > > [url]http://www.dotnetcoders.com[/url]
    > >

    > > "Ray Dixon [MVP]" <rayNOSPAM.greeble.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Kevin,
    > > >
    > > > According to these docs, System.Web.Mail should work on Windows Server
    > > 2003
    > > > just fine.
    > > >
    > > > Have you set the SmtpServer property? Also, I would check the
    > permissions
    > > > on the mailroot folder and its subfolders. I found a couple of posts
    > > > mentioning that as a problem with the ASPNET account.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Ray Dixon - Microsoft MVP
    > > > [email]rayNOSPAM.greeble.com[/email]
    > > > (remove NOSPAM. from my e-mail address for a direct reply)
    > > >

    > > > "Kevin Spencer" <kevintakempis.com> wrote in message
    > SMTPMail

    > > > invalid.

    > > an
    > > > invokeAttr,
    > invokeAttr,
    > > > modifiers,
    String

    String
    > iProfile)
    > > > +945
    > > EventArgs

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    > > +33

    Any

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  8. #8

    Kevin,

    I checked the ASP.NET source and it looks as though this is likely caused
    by the Windows Server 2003 box not being configured for the Mail Server
    role. The easiest way to do that is via the Manage Your Server link on the
    Start menu. That should resolve the issue.

    If you don't want to set that up, make sure that you are setting the
    SMTPServer property prior to calling Send.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET
    [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]

    --------------------

    Jim Cheshire Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Jim. I hope by now you've seen my message about resolving this issue.

    "Jim Cheshire (MS)" <jamescheonline.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    > > System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object iProfile)
    > +945
    > > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender,
    EventArgs
    > >e) +2109
    > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
    > >

    >System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IP ostBackEventHandler.RaiseP
    > >stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    > >sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
    +33
    > > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1258
    > >
    > >I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  10. #10

    Hi Kevin,

    Yes I do. Thanks.

> [...]

    >> > System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    >> > System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    >> > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailRepl y(Object iProfile)
    >> +945
    >> > SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Obj ect Sender,
    >EventArgs
    >> >e) +2109
    >> > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
    >> >

    >>System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.I PostBackEventHandler.Raise
    >> >stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    >> > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
    >> >sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    >> > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
    >+33
    >> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1258
    >> >
    >> >I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any

    Jim Cheshire Guest