Professional Web Applications Themes

snap to guides works only when guides areshowing...can I change that? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I frequently work with guides hidden to clean things up, but then it seems Snap To Guides does not work. I am constantly Command-Colon back and forth just to get a basic snap. Is there a way around this?...

  1. #1

    Default snap to guides works only when guides areshowing...can I change that?

    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    If guides are shown, but you are in Preview mode, then you'll still get a snap, even though the guides are not visible.

    You could also change the guide colour to white or something will less contrast against your background.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    preview mode, I do use that sometimes too. I guess changing the guide color is as good as it gets. Not sure how having them visible to snap is a preferred way to work. I'd like a preference to "snap always" or something. That's what I was hoping for.

    Thanks for the tips.
    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I agree with you john. I don't always want to see them but I always want them active. PITA when I want to line something up and I have to use additional keystroke to make rules visible, invisible, back and forth.

    [edit: oopsy daisy!]
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I guess changing the guide color is as good as it gets

    I read that as an intended negative sentiment, but show me one application that comes close to ID in regards to guides.

    Guides are one of my favourite features of ID. Having complete control of the colour, to make them as brazen or subtle as you like, is great. Not to mention that you can effect this individually, in groups, or en masse, and in any colour that your screen is able to produce. But that's NOT as good as it gets. You have control over which layer the guides are on which not only adds another level of colour to distinguish them, it also allows you to selectively turn guides on and off. You also have control of the magnification at specific guides will display. Not to mention all this works in conjunction with robust doent and baseline grid features. When the amount of control you have is factored in, snapping only while visible actually makes sense.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    another level of colour to distinguish them, it also allows you to selectively
    turn guides on and off.

    I always create a top layer for guides, so I can toggle them on and off while leaving the margin and column guides visible.
    Brutus_Maximus@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It was intended as a negative statement. All that other stuff with the guides is well and good, but I don't need or want that much control. I, like a zillion other users, came from 15 years of using QXP, have gotten used to the snap working no matter what. So, it would be nice to have an option to turn this functionality on and off. If IDCS2 has all these other fancy guide features, why not this basic one? That's all I'm asking.

    Everything else regarding guides is a moot point to me.
    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Sounds like you need to post a feature request.
    Brutus_Maximus@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I, like a zillion other users, came from 15 years of using QXP Everything
    else regarding guides is a moot point to me

    Yes, of course. I'm currently taking a course in Quark (I used to use Quark, but it's been years now). You sound like the instructor when I question the lack of depth of Quark's features. The answer is always: Why would you need that? I've been doing it like this for years and I've never had a problem.

    Quark users may have some adjustments to make learning ID. They may have some frustrations. But things not working the same is not as bad as things simply being unavailable. I suggest to you that Quark users are subjected to a lot less frustration learning ID than the other way around.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    My transition to ID started with CS2 earlier this year. Within a month I was up and running fine, but these little things still nag me - the guide thing as an example. Other things, like being used to just double-clicking on a placed image and having it pop up the dialog to "edit the original"...now I navigate down to the little tiny pencil icon in the links pallette. Nothing I can't handle. I bought Blatner's book for Quark to ID users. Not bad.

    ID CS2 does have so many more features that have been "elaborated" on versus Quark, but I just don't find myself needing many of them. Like not being able to manage run-arounds by simply bringing an item to the front - now I have to Command-B and check the box. It works, but different.

    One thing that still drives me insane though - when I select a placed image, I now use the "v" and "a" keys to switch between the box content, and the box itself...but when I have a text box open, and I want to move the thing by dragging it, I can't get back the black arrow via keys. If I type "v", I get a darn letter v in the text wherever the cursor is...I used to like holding down the Command key to quickly grab and move.

    Off topic now I guess. I have no desire to upgrade to Q7, I am officially no longer a Quark user. The PDF export feature alone saves me so much time...
    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Option clicking the image will pop it open in original application. Beats QX or the pencil every time.

    I hit the w key to get rid of the pasteboard. Sometimes I'm in a text box and I insert a w into my text. Grrrrr.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    > Other things, like being used to just double-clicking on a placed image and having it pop up the dialog to "edit the original"

    Try option+double click. On Windows it's alt+double click. You can also
    right click and choose edit original.

    Check you preferences. There's a setting there for text wrap only
    effects text beneath. I would personally never use it, but it's there if
    you really want it.

    If you like it that much, keep using it. Works just fine in ID.

    It seems to me that you're complaining about not being able to do things
    that you can actually do.

    Seriously, get yourself a copy of Classroom in a Book and go through the
    lessons. A lot of it will feel like you're back in kindergarten but it's
    worth it. I'd also recommend Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide and
    Blatner and Kvern's Real World InDesign.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  13. #13

    huh, that option-clicking thing does work on some images. I have one that's behind an empty box with a stroke, and all that trick does is open the settings for the stroked box. Even if I first command click the photo to make it active, as soon as I switch to option key and click it goes back to the item in front. Bummer. I'll keep clicking and see if I can get the hang of it.

    I guess there is no other way to get the black arrow "globally" no matter what tool or box you are editing, huh? That's what I miss. Less clicking the toolbox stuff.
    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Richard,

    PITA in the butt...

    Is that like a PIN number or ATM machine?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    A repetative redundancy.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  16. #16

    PITA in the butt...

    This is what happens at the end of a very long week.

    A repetative redundancy.

    Does this mean all is well?

    I have all my images on one layer so editing them is a breeze. So my images are rarely behind a box though they often are below them.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I'm not complaining, I'm saying there are certain things that I can't get used too, after 9 months of every day use. The command key being held down for me, does nothing whatsoever. It doesn't change the cursor to anything.

    The preference for the text wrap, that's nice to know. I appreciate that. There are so darn many little things with IDCS2 that I have adopted a "just get to work and figure out each niggle as you go" mentality. My 38 year old brain just doesn't retain things like it used to. Reading a book would still not do it.

    I'll keep plugging away, there's no turning back now.
    john_vandenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    > The command key being held down for me, does nothing whatsoever. It doesn't change the cursor to anything.

    I don't have a Mac here to check. I'm on Windows and it's the ctrl key
    there.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  19. #19

    One thing that still drives me insane though - when I select a placed
    image, I now use the "v" and "a" keys to switch between the box content,
    and the box itself...but when I have a text box open, and I want to move
    the thing by dragging it, I can't get back the black arrow via keys.

    Another huge benefit of ID is that virtually every keyboard shortcut is customizable. To alleviate the problem you post, first, I assign Esc to deselect everything, whether text or objects. That gets rid of the problem of typing in an unwanted letter, but I go one step her and change the shortcuts for the selection tools as well. I used to use alt+X (with X being whatever standard ID used) for all the shortcuts, but now I've changed to something I like better. I use control+left arrow for select and control+down arrow for direct selection. (I prefer this because I work on both Mac and PC and I tend to reflexively use alt on the PC when I should use Ctrl.)

    P.S. 38 isn't even close to brain dead <g>
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Wait til you get near 50. You get to work, by 11 you're tired, by 3 you're exhausted, go home and your kid wants to play with you for a few hours.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast