Professional Web Applications Themes

Soccer photos- Brisbane Strikers... now I want a 1D! - Photography

For anyone interested in sports photography, have a look at my shots from the Brisbane Strikers vs. Taringa Rovers soccer match on Sunday: Link on main gallery page- http://www.wprasek.com/photos/index.htm The game was a pre-season friendly to help the Strikers get into shape.they were wooden-spooners (I think?) last year in the NSL competition. Quite a fall from their spectacular underdog premiership victory at Lang Park in 96-97 (saw that game, fantastic). Anyway, I used the lowly 75-300 IS, which is renowned for sloooow AF (old micro-usm motor, not the newer, much faster ring=USM) and softness at the long end (effective 480mm ...

  1. #1

    Default Soccer photos- Brisbane Strikers... now I want a 1D!

    For anyone interested in sports photography, have a look at my shots from
    the Brisbane Strikers vs. Taringa Rovers soccer match on Sunday:

    Link on main gallery page- http://www.wprasek.com/photos/index.htm

    The game was a pre-season friendly to help the Strikers get into shape.they
    were wooden-spooners (I think?) last year in the NSL competition. Quite a
    fall from their spectacular underdog premiership victory at Lang Park in
    96-97 (saw that game, fantastic).

    Anyway, I used the lowly 75-300 IS, which is renowned for sloooow AF (old
    micro-usm motor, not the newer, much faster ring=USM) and softness at the
    long end (effective 480mm FoV on 10D!). Turned off IS to avoid any spin-up
    delay and incorrect compensation for panning (first generation IS unlike the
    70-200 2.8 etc which have several modes) and used a monopod, Av mode, at
    either f5.6 or f8 (to improve sharpness).

    Got a few decent shots, maybe a 6 to 10 of those 88 online are quite good
    IMO (took about 400 all up). Biggest problem was slow AF, limited to 3fps
    (hard to get the exact moment contact is made between players and the ball),
    and small maximum aperture- 2.8 would provide much shallower DoF and
    minimise intrusion of the busy background.

    Metering was awkward because of the very bright background advertising board
    reflecting the afternoon sunlight but the 10D did a great job considering-
    used JPEG fine, my computer is too slow to go thru lots of RAW files; plus
    wanted to minimise frequency of card swapping and time to empty buffer.

    There was another guy there who was a pro shooter, with a 1D and a MAAASSIVE
    400/2.8L IS prime- *wow*. This thing was HUGE. Weighed about 8kg I'd say
    with an enormous hood. Front element was the size of a dinner plate! Very
    impressive- and it should be for $10,000+. Anyway this guy was cool, had a
    chat, and he let me try out his 1D.

    Now I had decided up to this point to never do this, as everyone says once
    you do, you can never, ever, go back. They were right. goddamn the 1D
    *rocks*. It rocks *very very hard*. AF was virtually instant, and AI servo
    was continuous, quiet, just amazing. Then I tried to take a shot. and took
    about 5 in a split second!!!! Wow, that thing is like a frickin' machine
    gun. You hold down the (feather touch) shutter release and it flies through
    the frames. Simply amazing.

    I want one! PS anyone got the sigma 50-500? Tempted to buy this if I can
    ever save the money up... only $700 USD on ebay! Compared to $2000AUD-odd
    locally...

    Warren Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Soccer photos- Brisbane Strikers... now I want a 1D!

    No exif info in the jpgs!
    Could have been taken with anylens on anycamera.
    The least you could do is let us have a look at the whole picture!
    Doug

    "Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote in
    message news:3f558066$0$10358$optusnet.com.au...
    shape.they
    the
    ball),
    board
    MAAASSIVE
    through

    Snaps! Guest

  3. #3

    What? You really want to check the exif to make sure he happened to
    mention the right camera? What difference does it make?

    Snaps! wrote:

    > shape.they

    > the

    > ball),

    > board

    > MAAASSIVE

    > through

    >[/ref]

    Scott Guest

  4. #4

    In article <iZf5b.79712$bigpond.net.au>, Snaps! says...

    Not sure why anyone would waste bandwidth including exif data on their web based
    jpegs.

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

    It makes a big difference to someone interested in discovering how others
    use their 10Ds, Scott.

    Doug

    "Scott Coutts" <monash.edu.au> wrote in message
    news:monash.edu.au... [/ref]
    wrote in [/ref][/ref]
    from

    > > shape.they
    > > [/ref][/ref]
    a [/ref][/ref]
    (old [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    spin-up

    > > the
    > > [/ref][/ref]
    good [/ref][/ref]
    3fps

    > > ball),
    > >

    > > board
    > > [/ref][/ref]
    considering- [/ref][/ref]
    plus

    > > MAAASSIVE
    > > [/ref][/ref]
    Very [/ref][/ref]
    a [/ref][/ref]
    once [/ref][/ref]
    servo [/ref][/ref]
    took

    > > through
    > > [/ref][/ref]
    $2000AUD-odd

    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Snaps! Guest

  6. #6

    > > Could have been taken with anylens on anycamera.

    Just wondering -- does EXIF record what type of lens
    is fitted to digital SLRs? Sounds unlikely.

    "Snaps!" <com.au> wrote in message
    news:gdi5b.79848$bigpond.net.au... [/ref]
    > wrote in [/ref]
    > from [/ref][/ref]
    Quite [/ref][/ref]
    in [/ref]
    > (old [/ref]
    > the [/ref]
    > spin-up [/ref][/ref]
    unlike [/ref][/ref]
    at [/ref]
    > good [/ref]
    > 3fps [/ref]
    > considering- [/ref]
    > plus [/ref][/ref]
    buffer. [/ref][/ref]
    say [/ref]
    > Very [/ref][/ref]
    had [/ref]
    > once [/ref]
    > servo [/ref]
    > took [/ref][/ref]
    machine [/ref][/ref]
    can [/ref]
    > $2000AUD-odd
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    max Guest

  7. #7

    "max morrison" <net.au> wrote [/ref]

    > Just wondering -- does EXIF record what type of lens
    > is fitted to digital SLRs? Sounds unlikely.[/ref]

    Here is a sample of the EXIF from the 10D to give you an idea what is
    recorded. The EXIF will tell you the focal range of the lens but not the
    actual lens, in example it is: "16.0 - 35.0 mm". AFAIK the only 16-35mm
    lens is the "EF 16-35mm f2.8 L".

    If the lens was specified as 70-200 then it could be:

    EF 70-200mm f2.8 L
    EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS
    EF 70-200mm f4 L (assuming aperature shot with was > 4)

    So, it doesn't tell you the specific lens, but does give you some info to
    narrow it down.

    File Name
    CRW_0491.CRW
    Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS 10D
    Shooting Date/Time
    16/08/2003 12:50:10 PM
    Shooting Mode
    Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    0.6
    Av( Aperture Value )
    14
    Metering Mode
    Partial
    Exposure Compensation
    -1
    ISO Speed
    100
    Lens
    16.0 - 35.0 mm
    Focal Length
    16.0 mm
    Image Size
    3072x2048
    Image Quality
    RAW
    Flash
    On
    Flash Type
    External E-TTL
    Flash Exposure Compensation
    0
    Red-eye Reduction
    Off
    Shutter curtain sync
    1st-curtain sync
    White Balance
    Auto
    AF Mode
    One-Shot AF
    Parameters
    Contrast Normal
    Sharpness +2
    Color saturation +1
    Color tone Normal
    Color Space
    sRGB
    File Size
    6309KB
    Custom Function
    C.Fn:01-0
    C.Fn:02-1
    C.Fn:03-0
    C.Fn:04-2
    C.Fn:05-2
    C.Fn:06-1
    C.Fn:07-0
    C.Fn:08-0
    C.Fn:09-0
    C.Fn:10-0
    C.Fn:11-0
    C.Fn:12-1
    C.Fn:13-2
    C.Fn:14-0
    C.Fn:15-0
    C.Fn:16-0
    C.Fn:17-0
    Drive Mode
    Continuous shooting
    Owner's Name
    Camera Body No.
    <removed>

    Regards, Ken

    Ken Guest

  8. #8

    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote in message

    > > Just wondering -- does EXIF record what type of lens
    > > is fitted to digital SLRs? Sounds unlikely.[/ref]
    >
    > Here is a sample of the EXIF from the 10D to give you an idea what is
    > recorded. The EXIF will tell you the focal range of the lens but not the
    > actual lens, in example it is: "16.0 - 35.0 mm". AFAIK the only 16-35mm
    > lens is the "EF 16-35mm f2.8 L".
    >
    > If the lens was specified as 70-200 then it could be:
    >
    > EF 70-200mm f2.8 L
    > EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS
    > EF 70-200mm f4 L (assuming aperature shot with was > 4)
    >
    > So, it doesn't tell you the specific lens, but does give you some info to
    > narrow it down.[/ref]

    Could also be a non-Canon lens, perhaps?

    max Guest

  9. #9

    "max morrison" <net.au> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
    to [/ref]

    Yeah, I guess so.

    I presume that the same info is reported back to the camera for all EF
    compatible lenses, though I've only ever owned one non-Canon branded lens.
    My old Tamron 28-300 was identified on my D30 as:
    -----------
    Lens
    28.0 - 300.0 mm
    -----------

    So the lens could be any lens with those specs in the EXIF.

    Regards,

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  10. #10

    MAAASSIVE

    Jonathon, short guy, works for Getty Images???

    through

    Cameron Guest

  11. #11

    Fair enough. The way you phrased it sounded like you didnt believe
    which camera was being used... not so much "anylens on anycamera" so
    much as but 75-300mm on a 10D.

    Snaps! wrote:
    >>[/ref]
    > wrote in
    > [/ref]
    > from
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > (old
    > [/ref]
    > the
    > [/ref]
    > spin-up
    > [/ref]
    > good
    > [/ref]
    > 3fps
    > [/ref]
    > considering-
    > [/ref]
    > plus
    > [/ref]
    > Very
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > once
    > [/ref]
    > servo
    > [/ref]
    > took
    > [/ref]
    > $2000AUD-odd
    > [/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Scott Guest

  12. #12

    (a) it's my site, and my gallery of my photos... so i can put up there
    whatever i damn well please!

    (b) i have included the basic EXIF details- focal length, ISO, shutterspeed,
    aperture, etc

    (c) i am a web designer by trade, so I highly optimise all my images for
    rapid download. hence JPEG 50% quality, progressive, only about 40k per
    image- and when i batch export them EXIF is lost. too bad. better than users
    not bothering to wait for 100k+ to download

    (d) my site is 100% hand-coded (just becoming comfortable with PHP now) so
    forgive my inability to extract original EXIF data- i used Breezebrowser to
    do that to a flat text file for all the images in each gallery (one per
    line).

    (e) i am under no "obligation" to upload full res versions and waste my
    server space! if you don't believe i took those shots with a 10D and a
    75-300 IS USM that's your problem, yeesh. a few at the start (maybe a half
    dozen) were with the 28-135 IS USM but the rest were with the lowly 75-300.

    (f) i would appreciate more some constructive feedback on the quality of my
    images- composition, timing, exposure, colour balance, and how I could
    improve them rather than debates about what lens i used and how dare i not
    post full-res shots with intact exif.

    Warren Guest

  13. #13

    nope, actually he was a big guy, name was Chris and he was from
    sportography.com.au

    "Cameron" <camlaird"NOSPAM"hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Warren Guest

  14. #14

    You seem to have taken what I said, just as badly as Scott did. My opinion
    (not that it's worth much here) is that if you offer photos for critical
    appraisal by your peers, it will help them understand your photos and
    techniques if the quantity is less and the quality is more.

    Everything you say "defending" your right to provide or not provide exif, is
    quite relevant (to you). To me - wrestling with the transition to both
    electronic and digital cameras after a lifetime with mechanical, medium and
    large format cameras... It helps me understand why (at least some of) your
    pictures seem to look technically better than some of mine do, taken with
    (apparently) the same gear.

    I have no idea why someone would post pictures for comment in a public forum
    and then get their nose out of joint when another person points out that
    data is missing from images claimed to be from a digital camera which
    records that data. Some of the pictures it look to me as if (possibly
    considerable) post processing of the images has taken place.

    There seems to be a school of thought which says: Drag the old kicking
    and screaming into the future - it's OK to alter pictures with a computer
    and claim them to be photographs. Another, more conservative school of
    thought says: If the photograph offered up for judgment can be substantiated
    with a tranni or negative, then it's worthy of being judged. I would go
    further and suggest the exif data could substitute for that original film.

    Having said all that, After editing a jpg file in Photoshop, the exif data
    is still saved with the edited image so, you could still
    modify/crop/compress the picture and the exif data be unchanged, it is after
    all only data from the camera ...and yes, I am aware that several programs
    are available free to 'forge' or modify exif data so a scanned image could
    be passed off as a digital one but this is not what the thread is about.

    I am continually amused by the pedantic responses of Photographers who think
    their work is somehow better-different-improved-exclusively unique etc- than
    other Photographers work when at the end of the day, some of us make a
    living from it, some of us do it for their own enjoyment and some of us do
    it to gain public acclaim by entering competitions but all of us do it
    because we choose to. It was your choice to post the pictures Warren, it was
    your choice to solicited comment ...don't get your nose out of joint because
    you don't like some of the comments, that's all part of the process.

    Doug

    "Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote in
    message news:3f55e88c$0$10357$optusnet.com.au...
    shutterspeed,
    users
    75-300.
    my

    Snaps! Guest

  15. #15

    "Snaps!" <com.au> wrote in message
    is
    and
    forum
    kicking
    substantiated
    after
    think
    than
    was
    because

    ???

    Doug, have you completely lost it????

    Rarely do pictures on the web have the exif info embedded. Who gives a
    .... Warren said what gear he used and that is that.

    Cameron

    in
    > shutterspeed,
    > users [/ref]
    so
    > to [/ref]
    half
    > 75-300.
    > my [/ref]
    not

    >[/ref]

    Cameron Guest

  16. #16

    thanks cam, i really can't understand what his problem is. it sounds like he
    is almost resentful that some of my photos look better than his (get over
    it, you shoot enough you get a few good frames) and is suspicious that i
    have manipulated them significantly to impress this NG... yeesh. i have
    better things to do (like earn a living) than do like that.

    FOR DOUG'S BENEFIT, HERE IS MY WORKFLOW...

    (1) transfer JPEGs to computer

    (2) use breezebrowser to batch-rename, embedding EXIF data in filename for
    future reference- including date/time, exposure (shutter/fstop), ISO, focal
    length

    (3) use ACDsee to automatically batch rotate any portrait shots to correct
    orientation

    (4) determine which shots are "keepers" and delete the rest (about 4 in 5)

    (5) for each keeper (88 online), adjust curves/levels in photoshop (eg
    brighten if underexposed) and saturation if necessary. this is a GLOBAL
    process- no "spot" retouching is done, and the entire thing takes about 30
    seconds to 1 minute per image, tops.

    (6) batch-create thumbnails and batch-resize all JPEGS using another app
    called Arles Web Image Creator which OPTIMISES JPEGS FOR RAPID WEB DOWNLOAD,
    IN THE PROCESS STRIPPING EXIF DATA LIKE MANY OTHER GRAPHICS APPS OUT THERE.

    so sue me if that's not good enough for you. again my #1 priority is a fast
    site. and again, this is why i display the exif data manually on each page,
    from a flat text file. do you really think i take the time to "forge" that
    info on each and every image page???

    this app also adds slight sharpening to compensate for softness from
    downsampling (necessary when going from 3072x2048 to 600x400) adds the (c)
    watermark and logo overlay, plus the white border.

    Warren Guest

  17. #17

    In article <3f5677c4$0$10357$optusnet.com.au>, "Warren
    Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote:

    what does EXIF mean?
    woodsie Guest

  18. #18

    sounds to me like your just trolling