Professional Web Applications Themes

Software for D70 NEF processing - Photography

What I would like, ideally, is a slimline program that will open a NEF file, let me adjust saturation of the red/green/blue channels, contrast and white balance, crop and save as JPG. I don't want my images organized for me, or any auto-corrections. From what I've seen, PictureProject isn't worth loading for me. Is NikonView any better? Looks to me like it's just a previous version of PictureProject. Do I need NikonCapture? What about IrfanView, I've heard good things there but can I change the parts I want to change? What's the most basic PhotoShop I'd need, if I had ...

  1. #1

    Default Software for D70 NEF processing

    What I would like, ideally, is a slimline program that will open
    a NEF file, let me adjust saturation of the red/green/blue channels,
    contrast and white balance, crop and save as JPG. I don't want my
    images organized for me, or any auto-corrections.

    From what I've seen, PictureProject isn't worth loading for me.

    Is NikonView any better? Looks to me like it's just a previous
    version of PictureProject. Do I need NikonCapture? What about
    IrfanView, I've heard good things there but can I change the
    parts I want to change? What's the most basic PhotoShop I'd need,
    if I had to go that way?

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Software for D70 NEF processing

    On 23 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Ken Tough wrote:

    IrfanView will do some of that http://irfanview.com/ It's free; while it
    will do some editing, the level of control it gives you isn't great.

    TheGIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) doesn't meet your lightweight criterion,
    but does everything else you want, and it's also free. You'll also need
    a plugin, something that uses dcraw, in order to import the .nefs.
    http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html - This
    is a Linux page, but the plugins he mentions for Gimp, if you check their
    pages, also have Windows versions.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

  3. #3

    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    Irfanview doesn't read NEF's though maybe they have a newer plugin, mine
    is fairly recent. It says 'invalid raw file'

    paul Guest

  4. #4

    paul wrote:

    > Irfanview doesn't read NEF's though maybe they have a newer plugin, mine
    > is fairly recent. It says 'invalid raw file'[/ref]

    They do have a new plugin but it is very very slow.
    paul Guest

  5. #5

    Just a quick note:

    IrfanView will in fact read the D70 .NEF files (no plug-in required). The
    files won't be visible under <FILE.OPEN> unless you set the "Files of type"
    to "All files (*.)"

    NEFs will then be visible, preview displayed and they can be opened.

    IrfanView is a great program and worthy of support (my 2 cents).

    Thanks.

    "paul" <net> wrote in message

    >> Irfanview doesn't read NEF's though maybe they have a newer plugin, mine
    >> is fairly recent. It says 'invalid raw file'[/ref]
    >

    > They do have a new plugin but it is very very slow.[/ref]

    Fred Guest

  6. #6

    I love irfanview but it is noticeably slow with Nikon D70 NEF files for
    me. It took me 10 minutes to batch a dozen files on a new Dell
    workstation grade laptop & about 8 seconds just to display one file. It
    is indeed lightning fast in other file types as long as they are not
    really big. I continue to use it as my default image association but not
    with NEF's unfortunately. That means I need to keep them in special
    folders (which is a good idea anyways).

    I wish it could handle them better because that would be good for
    batching proofs.

    Fred Zafran wrote: [/ref]
    paul Guest

  7. #7

    I'd still like an opinion on NikonView for converting NEF files. I've heard
    it's better than PicturePerfect and as good as that $99 program Nikon sells
    (just for file conversions). I think it's a free download.

    "Ken Tough" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  8. #8

    I think Breeze Browser can do all this very well for $60 though my trial
    ran out before I knew what all to check.
    http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/features.htm
    It does handle color space conversion, etc. correctly & is a very fast
    RAW browser with some cool features.

    With Nikon View I only see a very very basic jpeg batch conversion tool.
    The editor has only preset options for white balance and exposure
    compensation with other options for RGB, brightness & contrast,
    sharpening, auto contrast. The photoshop RAW import plugin shows the
    actual white balance temperature it was shot at & a live preview slider
    to adjust (versus 5 presets) and it includes a few types of noise
    reduction, chromatic aberration correction, etc. The difference is big.
    Even nikon capture doesn't offer much more than nikon view. Capture does
    support adobe RGB vs sRGB & a bit more options than View but only
    photoshop allows

    Sheldon wrote:

    >[/ref]
    paul Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:04:37 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    I had been using NV to process NEFs from my 5700 before anyhow. I tried
    PP when I got my D70 and found it's interface to be lacking, so went back
    to NV. There is a limited number of variables compared to Capture in
    either PP or NV. NV is a free dl, in the US you will need a valid serial #,
    be sure to get the update as well. Note that NV and PP can NOT co-exist
    according to Nikon. NV will allow output to 16 bit jpg/tif, whereas IIRC PP
    is only 8-bit.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  10. #10

    "Ed Ruf" <net> wrote in message

    > I had been using NV to process NEFs from my 5700 before anyhow. I tried
    > PP when I got my D70 and found it's interface to be lacking, so went back
    > to NV. There is a limited number of variables compared to Capture in
    > either PP or NV. NV is a free dl, in the US you will need a valid serial
    > #,
    > be sure to get the update as well. Note that NV and PP can NOT co-exist
    > according to Nikon. NV will allow output to 16 bit jpg/tif, whereas IIRC
    > PP
    > is only 8-bit.
    > ----------
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html[/ref]

    Are you saying that Nikon View "will" convert NEF files to TIFF files? I
    just need something that will allow me to shoot NEF/RAW and then send them
    on in a file anyone can open with PhotoShop.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  11. #11

    Sheldon wrote:

    If you have photoshop (latest version at least) then there is an awesome
    plugin for opening & adjusting NEF's. Go to adobe's web site & look for
    'Camera RAW plug-in'.
    paul Guest

  12. #12

    paul <net> wrote:

    What sort of minimal photoshop can I get away with? I'd like to
    process R/G/B channels separately, desaturate, white balance,
    adjust contrast, maybe sharpen. Not a lot more than that really.
    Do I need CS* or can I get by with the slimmer version?

    * what's the CS for, anyway?
    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  13. #13

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:05:27 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    Yes.. But if you have the latest version of PS you are better off with the
    Adobe Raw Converter. If not when you install NV it should install it's own
    plug-in to allow you to open NEF in older versions of PS. If you install it
    after the new version of PS this plugin will conflict with the raw
    converter and should be removed.
    ----------

  14. #14

    Ken Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    Photoshop Elements 3 will do what you want.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  15. #15